Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

this one really frustrates me
We do this all the tme and I've mentioned it.
A player in a better clear position forward of the ball presents and is ignored, easy forward movement right.
But we refuse and then go down the line to a contest that we have to fight our asses of to win.
Really no common sense there at all, are we just stupid or over coached, but the real frustration with this is it is an easy desion to make and when we play like this we take the presure of us , why cause the opposition has to readjust their defense when you move . Not rocket science.
It's a coaching instruction. No player instinctively does that. We've been doing it ever since we decided we were getting scored against too much . 5 years ago.

You definitely raise a good point. Seems some teams are always bringing in a steady stream of quality youth/players year in/year out and more often than not they make it to seniors and provide dividends on that investment. Look at Geelong, Sydney etc. Yet it seems we have more hits and misses. And being outside of Victoria, it is always hard attracting talent via free agency. Are our recruiters simply looking for the wrong types of players?
It was made pretty clear on draft night, that our coach and list manager dictate what type of players we are looking for at the draft.

It’s the recruiters job to find them.

You've clearly got a bias here. Watching the game and the stats back up that Robertson had a poor game, he's one of many that had a poor game but he shouldn't be free of criticism just because he was around the clearances once the game was lost.
The question was asked several times during the game day thread, where’s Dev Robertson, because he was barely seen on screen during the first three quarters. The few times I saw him, and I was looking for him, was in our forward 50.

When he was moved in to the centre, he had more of a defensive impact than most of our other mids did in the first three quarters.

I’m not defending Robertson in isolation. Our whole forward line didn’t have much of an impact after the first quarter.

Is it their fault that the midfielders couldn’t win the ball and deliver in to our forward 50. Robertson certainly wasn’t in the middle in the second quarter when Melbourne was marching it forward with ease.

Or that when we committed forwards further up the ground, this gave Melbourne a spare behind the ball, and they intercepted with ease.

As others also mentioned, our younger players are clearly given defensive roles, and to pass the ball off to a more experienced player, rather than make decisions for themselves when they win the ball.

Same thing why Robinson and Berry are being neglected on the wing when open. It appears to be a coaching instruction.

Does that mean Berry had a poor game because his team mates didn’t look for him, and he kept his width when on the fat side wing?

So how do you have a poor game when you’re not given an opportunity to have an impact?

The frothing over McStay on this board has been going on for years. It’s incredible. I get it, he’s a nice bloke, and in all seriousness I do actually think he’s a ripper of a person, but he’s not doing what he should be doing, and that’s kick goals. I don’t care what “role” bf experts think he’s suppose to be doing, he’s a forward, his job is to kick goals.
McStay was a whipping boy here up until last year.

I don’t know how “we’ve” been frothing over him for years, when more posters here were critical of him, than those who defended his role.

Did you watch the game?

Robertson was stuck up forward or flank for most of the early part of the game.

When he was moved in to the centre in the last quarter, he was tagging Oliver. Still he was managing to lay some tackles, and provide second and third defensive efforts.

Funny how the few who were at the game have specifically mentioned Robertson among those who gave their all, and weren’t questioned on effort.

i was at the game and i agree that Robertson tried really hard from where I was sitting in the outer. One of the things I really noticed is we just seemed flat - from the beginning little talk amongst the players on the ground. Forward line was crap. Overall an extremely disappointed night made worse by the fact the Lilydale line train was choc full of annoying Melbourne supporters on the way home. Only good thing was seeing lots of Lions supporters at the ground. Let’s hope it’s the line in the sand game and we realise how much more work we have to do to.

Definitly seems effort is at least one of the main problems. Lacked a lot of effort for most of the game, looked like we tried to have a burst in the 3rd quarter? but couldn't quite get there. It was a noticable lift in instensity, the question is why did it only happen when we were so far behind and not straight away? I think this is a result of Fagan's selection philosophy of not dropping players even if they have a bad game. Players know subconsciously that even if they have a crappy game they will still be there the next game so they aren't running as hard as they possibly can or having that fierce intensity you see.

If we don't want to end up 4th on the ladder (geezuz what a fall!) we need to barrack and hope for Freo and Richmond:sick: to win. If Geelong win they will be on the same points as us but they already have a better %...Carlton would be same points but their % would only better ours if they won convincingly.

Some hard work to do for the boys between now and the finals...

Happy for us to be labelled pretenders by media and opposition supporters for the remainder of the season.

Not happy for any Brisbane Lions supporters doing the same.

First 1/4 was good while Neale was in control. Too many passengers once Neale was shut down.
Mighty Lions Genuinely interested in your review of the game?

Not holding out much hope, as you didn’t give one after the last game, when asked.

It was made pretty clear on draft night, that our coach and list manager dictate what type of players we are looking for at the draft.

It’s the recruiters job to find them.
Think that's the way all side operate.

If we don't want to end up 4th on the ladder (geezuz what a fall!) we need to barrack and hope for Freo and Richmond:sick: to win. If Geelong win they will be on the same points as us but they already have a better %...Carlton would be same points but their % would only better ours if they won convincingly.

Some hard work to do for the boys between now and the finals...
Geelong also have a very easy draw with Eagles and North still at home and something like 5 of there last 8 down at Geelong. Theres no way we finish top 2 from here and will be lucky to be top 4 by seasons end given our tough draw with Melbourne, Saints, Tigers, Blues and Dogs still to come. Shame its gone all so wrong- seems like a disconnect and the players not playing for one another - perhaps disharmony within the playing group - perhaps with the likes of Dan and Lachie and maybe others looking to get out. Pleayers that bleed for the club dont do that.

Mighty Lions Genuinely interested in your review of the game?

Not holding out much hope, as you didn’t give one after the last game, when asked.
Ive noticed Jed is pretty selective with what he responds to and the fact he doesnt think Will will be joining the club with his inside knowldege is really concerning.

Geelong also have a very easy draw with Eagles and North still at home and something like 5 of there last 8 down at Geelong. Theres no way we finish top 2 from here and will be lucky to be top 4 by seasons end given our tough draw with Melbourne, Saints, Tigers, Blues and Dogs still to come. Shame its gone all so wrong- seems like a disconnect and the players not playing for one another - perhaps disharmony within the playing group - perhaps with the likes of Dan and Lachie and maybe others looking to get out. Pleayers that bleed for the club dont do that.

Do we know for sure that Lachie wants out....and also Dan for that matter? Or only rumours so far?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again I think you are clutching at straws here… surely you can see the effort that is out in by the majority of the group… I still think we are not that far away. Zorko and Bailey back in are huge for us. We won 10-11 games last year with this forward line, it’s only the 2nd game back together this year… they need time to gel. The season is far from over.

Once again I think you are clutching at straws here… surely you can see the effort that is out in by the majority of the group… I still think we are not that far away. Zorko and Bailey back in are huge for us. We won 10-11 games last year with this forward line, it’s only the 2nd game back together this year… they need time to gel. The season is far from over.
It isnt when we cant even beat anyone decent away from home - weve literally failed every test - Swans was a good win at a bogey ground but is was early in the season and then failed at Geelong, Perth and Hawks and now Dees by a lot - we almost need to finish 5 or 6th and hope we can win otherwise I fear another staright sets exit. the club even said along the lines that the season would be a failure if we dont finish top four and win finals. That seems a long way off

Is it Jed for real or just a guess?
A guess - Mighty Lion said he or she works with the clubs forwards so I asked my partner who works with the forwards and Jed was the guess. You probably know more but what other people at the club work specifically with the forwards other than the forwards assistant. Ive just been having fun with it I guess.

A guess - Mighty Lion said he or she works with the clubs forwards so I asked my partner who works with the forwards and Jed was the guess. You probably know more but what other people at the club work specifically with the forwards other than the forwards assistant. Ive just been having fun with it I guess.

He must certainly seems to have inside knowledge.

And it's a good story, so stick to it.

Last edited:
He must certainly send to have inside knowledge.

And it's a good story, so stick to it.
No one can fault his intel and team selection over the past 2 seasons Ive been on here - more so than ever before and one other prominent poster on here I know of. I guess its why i take his word as gospel b/c hes rarely wrong - hence my concern that he doesnt think Ashcroft joins us and that Dan is leaving - or words to that affect.

It isnt when we cant even beat anyone decent away from home - weve literally failed every test - Swans was a good win at a bogey ground but is was early in the season and then failed at Geelong, Perth and Hawks and now Dees by a lot - we almost need to finish 5 or 6th and hope we can win otherwise I fear another staright sets exit. the club even said along the lines that the season would be a failure if we dont finish top four and win finals. That seems a long way off
I agree it was a shocking game…. This year though, Melbourne (who are the clearest of clear flag favourites) have lost by 38 and 26 points, Freo have lost two games by 36 points, carlton have lost two in the mid 30s… this season is insanely close and all it takes is to be slightly off and you can spank/get spanked. I think we need to reserve judgment on the season until the end of the year. We may be setting ourselves to peak at the right time…

I agree it was a shocking game…. This year though, Melbourne (who are the clearest of clear flag favourites) have lost by 38 and 26 points, Freo have lost two games by 36 points, carlton have lost two in the mid 30s… this season is insanely close and all it takes is to be slightly off and you can spank/get spanked. I think we need to reserve judgment on the season until the end of the year. We may be setting ourselves to peak at the right time…
Id like to think so and whilst ive never physically played the game - had relatives and kids that do butI have watched a lot of footy at a lot of diff leveks - i also dont think form or winning is something you can just turn on and off - but i could be completely wrong.

Id like to think so and whilst ive never physically played the game - had relatives and kids that do butI have watched a lot of footy at a lot of diff leveks - i also dont think form or winning is something you can just turn on and off - but i could be completely wrong.
Can certainly play yourself back into form… secondly, I would be interested to know if we are doing a cardio block at training at the moment so we can hit peak fitness come the end of the year. I remember Richmond did this a few years back to time their run correctly. They started cardio work at preseason later in the preseason and did a block of work mid year… I’m crossing my fingers that that is what we are attempting to do now.

Worth noting that Oliver for all the plaudits he receives often throws the ball. Commentators adore him for his contested work and quick hands but I saw him last night many times just flick it out with a handball motion but it wasn't even close to a handball. It's a blight on the game.
the footscray special

The question was asked several times during the game day thread, where’s Dev Robertson, because he was barely seen on screen during the first three quarters. The few times I saw him, and I was looking for him, was in our forward 50.

When he was moved in to the centre, he had more of a defensive impact than most of our other mids did in the first three quarters.

I’m not defending Robertson in isolation. Our whole forward line didn’t have much of an impact after the first quarter.

Is it their fault that the midfielders couldn’t win the ball and deliver in to our forward 50. Robertson certainly wasn’t in the middle in the second quarter when Melbourne was marching it forward with ease.

Or that when we committed forwards further up the ground, this gave Melbourne a spare behind the ball, and they intercepted with ease.

As others also mentioned, our younger players are clearly given defensive roles, and to pass the ball off to a more experienced player, rather than make decisions for themselves when they win the ball.

Same thing why Robinson and Berry are being neglected on the wing when open. It appears to be a coaching instruction.

Does that mean Berry had a poor game because his team mates didn’t look for him, and he kept his width when on the fat side wing?

So how do you have a poor game when you’re not given an opportunity to have an impact?
We're talking about different things and you're making assumptions that there's coaching instructions to neglect players. I'm not going to base anything off comments from others in a game day thread, I watched the game and the stats back up that he didn't have a great game (along with most of our team) He was 4th of our midfielders in attending centre bounces and I don't agree that just because he was moved there later in the game that he shouldn't be judged the same as all the others that we had play through there where we were smashed.

Going to have to agree to disagree here.

Back