Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

martinson

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The 2020 prelim against Geelong felt like a capitulation tbh.
I suppose. Even if we were done. I'm calling 40 points a bad loss and not a capitulation.

Besides which the argument has gone from how we play the MCG to losing a few games at the Gabba where we win most of them proving that we don't play the MCG that badly.

My head's done in on this one.

OK. We actually play poorly everywhere. When we play poorly.

NotQuiteJezza

Rookie
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Where was our run and speed. 2 to 1 kick / handball ratio. That’s not how you beat the top sides. I think Rich has to go. We rely on him to much from the back but it so predictable. Defensively he is slow and a liability. I hardly saw a forward handball or run past give. Something has to change and I believe Rich out, forces us to change.

a mayes ing

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Where was our run and speed. 2 to 1 kick / handball ratio. That’s not how you beat the top sides. I think Rich has to go. We rely on him to much from the back but it so predictable. Defensively he is slow and a liability. I hardly saw a forward handball or run past give. Something has to change and I believe Rich out, forces us to change.
Rich is our best kick in a defensive line noted not for being good kicks and you want to get rid of him?

Gadzorks

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So if we recruit Dew to make a playing return we've got it covered?

I laughed, but that's cruel.

Every year he comes back trimmed down, clearly doing the right thing over the break. Unfortunately appears to be stress eater.

Understandable that he wants the top job, climbing ladders, itch to be scratched, knows he has a lot to offer etc.

This will be unpopular, but if he was my son, I reckon the damage he is doing to his health means it isn't worth being head coach. Become an assistant, do the awesome work he is currently doing but leave the overhead stress to someone else. .

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
The pockets are much deeper.

3m is actually a big difference.

Take a walk out on to the 2 grounds and you'll notice it immediately.
That's 1.5m either wing. About what Rocca missed by in 2002. Overhead photo comparison suggests Gabba pockets are deeper too.
Untitled.png

PaddleFoot

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2008
Hollow Log
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd like a better sample size to reach any kind of conclusion that the ground is a big factor in the losses. If we never played at Marvel and only at the G, so 5 to 6 times a year, do you think we would drop every match regardless of opponent? Do you think there are games we have won at Marvel that we wouldn't win on the G? I don't.
Not a great incentive to roll up when 17 of the last 20 games have been defeats. Including thrashing and sub par efforts. And then watching the team win at home on TV.

Got to give the fans something .. and the next game is v Tigers !

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I suppose. Even if we were done. I'm calling 40 points a bad loss and not a capitulation.

Besides which the argument has gone from how we play the MCG to losing a few games at the Gabba where we win most of them proving that we don't play the MCG that badly.

My head's done in on this one.

OK. We actually play poorly everywhere. When we play poorly.

I think you’re right, it’s not about the location. It’s actually about the opposition. We beat up also ran teams and lose to the big boys. Doesn’t matter where we play them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ceebee

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
We've been completely slaughtered once in 3 years and it was the MCG.

Of course we wouldn't drop every match but on anything I've seen it's not a ground I'd prefer we played on if we had any choice.

Getting used to the atmosphere there is another issue . Whatever anyone says it's different. Preferably we should play the G 3 or 4 times a year to at least get used to it.
Went to theMCG yesterday and can see how intimidating that ground would be for teams who rarely play there .

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Rich hasn’t been going for his kicks and not following up often enough. Needs a kick up the arse.
It looks like Rich has lost a yard of pace, and he wasn’t fast to begin with, and he’s lost distance on his kick. It also looks like he’s lost some confidence in his kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dalions

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It looks like Rich has lost a yard of pace, and he wasn’t fast to begin with, and he’s lost distance on his kick. It also looks like he’s lost some confidence in his kicking.
Lost confidence in his short kicking in particular which is why he isn’t taking anything on anymore.
Resorts to the long kick far too often, less chance of error.

Saintsone

Senior List
May 23, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m pretty sure he mentioned in a Roar Deal episode that he was asked to shed weight last year, so he could play a more running role.

I don’t believe he’ll ever be a star, but he was the most dominant inside mid at the U18 championships, beating Rowell head on, and smashing Serong out of the Vic country midfield.

For me he’s ahead of Mathieson, TBerry and any other inside mid we have in the reserves.

Maybe he doesn’t make it at AFL level, but we haven’t played him consistently through the midfield at either level to grow his inside game.

Instead we’ve played him in a forward role, which doesn’t really work on his one deficiency either, his kicking.
The issue is terry plays mid in the resizes but small forward in the ones.

scoman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
King and Montagna nailed us on first crack last night and spoke to our biggest weaknesses. King highlighted our lack of intent, hardness and lazy defensive work in the midfield. Focused on a passage of play from Rayner. As much as we love him, he is another one of our issues when it comes to defensive running tbf. Montagna isn't sure we believe we can win big games either and I think he is spot on.

McIvor

All Australian
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
King and Montagna nailed us on first crack last night and spoke to our biggest weaknesses. King highlighted our lack of intent, hardness and lazy defensive work in the midfield. Focused on a passage of play from Rayner. As much as we love him, he is another one of our issues when it comes to defensive running tbf. Montagna isn't sure we believe we can win big games either and I think he is spot on.
I saw this article on Lions FB group - makes for terrible reading

Jun 24, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Either our game plan was s**t for tonight or it just melted away like butter.

We played a lot like Port Adelaide did against Melbourne a month or two ago. Just too slow and let them set up.

Pretty clear we are flat track bullies... beat the easy teams and generally lose against the top tier teams.
Brilliant,great post.agree 100%. tactically dumb.To be considered a real premiership contender you must be able to beat the top tier teams,pure and simple. That is what the club must aspire to. The benchmark is Melbourne and we have to have the right ingredients as a club, to be able to compete against these top tier teams,unfortunately we constantly fall down against them.

The question mark is, is the current list (compared to the likes of Melbourne,Fremantle ) good enough to take us there ? After tonight’s performance, I have grave concerns. We must look urgently at the talent and tactical nous of our line coaches and review the playing list asap. I just do not want to be the team, to make up the numbers in the eight.I want ,like every Brisbane Lions supporter to have a team worthy of being able to compete and challenge for a premiership.

Actions speak louder than words.Serious questions need to be raised and addressed urgently. Unless the club has the guts and the balls to act in addressing these issues then we may loose our greatest opportunity yet in winning a premiership. Brisbane reminds me of the old cliché,So close yet so far away.

Jun 24, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Rayner is still learning the midfield craft role. Pretty harsh from King to sit back in his chair and cheap shot Rayner. Where has king ever given any praise to Rayner for the previous games this year where he has created goal scoring opportunities.I stand corrected but I cannot think of any.If king is going to critique our midfield he needs look at the output of the more senior members of the midfield as they are and should be the role models to the youngsters.My concern as should be King’s is the efforts of lyons this year. To me,that is more of a concern than that of Rayner. Other than that Montagna is corrcet.