Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 4, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
******* awful.

Not fit enough - so many blokes with hands on knees early in 3rd.

Stoppage work appalling. So many times they fed out the back with no pressure as we all got sucked into the contest.

Killed in the ruck. BigO tries but he’s not good enough to lead a ruck line at AFL level

Played entirely to their game plan by playing slow, long, down the line football making Lever’s job a cakewalk. Mindboggling given you have had half a year since they won the flag to develop a plan to play against them - which three teams have executed in the last three weeks.

But worst of all is the lack of effort, when you’re at the ground you can see just how much harder they work than our players - shepherding off the board, running back to block space, communicating and working as a team generally. Massive changes required

Not completely sure we are fit enough, we just can’t run with teams like Melbourne.
IMO we're fit - no doubts on that front. We just don't have the leg speed. You can be fit enough to run all day, but if you don't have the top speed it doesn't matter.

Midfield a long way off as a few of us saw through the first 3 months.
I still remember you quoting stats at me when I pointed out how bad Lyons had been, and then the following week you jumping on board that bandwagon. :D

I know this will annoy some people but I don't mind this loss, in the fashion it became.

Feel like we've been poor for a while without being punished and we got punished tonight. Thoroughly belted and a real lesson given. This is a club that prides itself on learning from lessons though. So bloody well learn that we need to be better if we are to win a cup with this group.

It's one game though. Let's not throw the toys out of the cot and start replacing players and coaches. Definitely a wake up call for those at the club dozing off behind the wheel a bit.

Sack Ben Hudson and Cam Bruce tonight.

Forward and backline does alright when we can deliver/help them out. The midfield gets torched every week, it cannot continue.

Hudson has been around for ages. Might be time tbh.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
IMO we're fit - no doubts on that front. We just don't have the leg speed. You can be fit enough to run all day, but if you don't have the top speed it doesn't matter.
I think we do have the leg speed, they're just not being utilised well enough while giving guys where leg speed and spread is their biggest weakness the most opportunity.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
tough gig to get your first match. Even the senior players were let out by themselves in contests.

After some mistakes here and there there were some much better signs by Tunstill late on.

Lyons probably out injured. Kiddy holding his arm at one point but played on and Adams had a heavy knock or two, and Andrews too with the shoulder or head knock on the ground.

Lets hope we will be fired up next week.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Either our game plan was s**t for tonight or it just melted away like butter.

We played a lot like Port Adelaide did against Melbourne a month or two ago. Just too slow and let them set up.

Pretty clear we are flat track bullies... beat the easy teams and generally lose against the top tier teams.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bring on the Dogs next week.

Bring on Carlton in Round 21.

We win those two, we're still likely to finish top 3 or 4.

People claiming we're not one of the best teams don't watch many games other than ours - this year is brutally open. Melbourne is a clear tier above, but even they've looked flaky and the rest of us have been far from elite.

Yay, straight sets here we come!

That was hard to watch. Had to mute it and take lots of breaks.

Our biggest problem is sticking tackles. It has been for years. We stick just 30% of our missed tackles, they don't get a free pass and it's a different game.

Not only are missed tackles free passes, they are a massive energy sink. By the time we actually get the ball, we can't actually execute a kick properly. So problem snowballs.

I watch all the footage out of the club and Robbo (* I'm a sad case) and I've never seen any tackling practice.

Mighty Lions you know anything about tackling as part of our training?

Brizzys Squizzy

All Australian
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
To all those blaming individuals, particularly midfielders , Gary ablett jnr wouldn't get a clearance with fagan set up around the ground. I've been saying this for a while , why allow the opposition to have more numbers at stoppages is bloody ridiculous and shows the lack of elite coaches we have at our club. Football 101, manning up at stoppages will go along way to rectify our contested problem.
Don't even get me started with the side selected this week. MYSTIFYING.

Melbourne are a very good team but I think the most worrying part was that it was yet another horrid performance on the MCG.

Apart from that it's all about how we respond. A game we should win against a team that often troubles us in another big Thursday night timeslot.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Another big game/finals like challange, another loss. Decent team who don’t have it in them to go the distance.

A heap of ‘ugly wins’ againts s**t teams and losses when it matters.

Tonight was an absolute embarrassment, with the whole country watching.

Next week being a big billing we will s**t the bed again.

Too many s**t efforts to name.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don’t mind losing as long as we put a decent effort in, but that was honestly disgusting. Hope the players feel embarrassed.
Lets be honest, this is close to there MO on the big stage in games such as this. So many teams around us are causing upsets and winning games not expected to win - not us and then we are lead to believe w are one of the contenders for the flag.

Sorry at best we are pretenders and Im starting to think the players know this to. As a club, we always fail on this stage and everyone knows it that it is pretty comical - just once win a game where not expected to win.

Back