Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night Robbo and Berry were obviously told to play wide on the wings to try and open up the centre corridor. But then no one would kick it to them so their opponents didn’t even bother to cover them and stayed close to the centre which gave them a clear outnumber in that part of the ground. And it meant two of our best and toughest tacklers were removed from the action and left just running up and down the wings on their own for much of the night. It was so frustrating to watch and I noticed they were totally frustrated too. Mitch kept looking at the bench saying wtf is going on here.
Looked like poor coaching to me.

I thought exactly the same thing. Berry was predominantly playing on the wing where I was sitting and when he was out by himself was constantly ignored.

Mighty Lions Genuinely interested in your review of the game?

Not holding out much hope, as you didn’t give one after the last game, when asked.
I don't understand why there is any expectation on Mighty Lions, or anyone else for that matter, to contribute anything on this board if he chooses not to - what is your issue?

With Fagan saying this it has me thinking he is part of the problem and not the solution for us moving forward.

He’s done an amazing job for us but has he reached the point where he’s not the guy for the job

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Starting to agree, the other thing he said in the presser that was absolutely astonishing is that he doesn’t believe we have too much reliance on Neal. It’s obvious to blind Freddie we do.

Is it Jed for real or just a guess?
It's full of the proverbial. No way would an assistant coach be posting on BF criticising players' efforts, otherwise our club would truly be ****ed.

It's full of the proverbial. No way would an assistant coach be posting on BF criticising players' efforts, otherwise our club would truly be ducked.

C'mon now, its a good ruse. Other supporters browsing through our forum will run back crazy with "omfg, Lions bigfooty board has assistant coach posting there and criticizing players !!!!" :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Well wow that was a disappointing result to come home to, probably the worst performance for the team as a whole since pre 2019.

We looked slow, hesitant and lacked intensity after the first 15 minutes. The only players I could find a vote for were McCluggage, Payne, Coleman and McInerney.

Our game style by and large has not held up against the very best sides in the competition since 2019, we go from a rampant attacking force against the lesser sides to a slow as treacle, bomb it to a contest and hope for a mark, no run and carry side against the best opposition.

The best sides gut run, overlap handball and surge it forward against us and we have no answer for it.... I can not see us beating the Demons, Tigers or Cats in a big game in September and I am starting to doubt we can match the Dockers as well. I do think we match up reasonably well against the other top 8 candidates though, especially at home.

I was stunned Tunstill was debuted against such elite opposition away from home, Ah Chee, Prior or even Madden should have played instead.

A guess - Mighty Lion said he or she works with the clubs forwards so I asked my partner who works with the forwards and Jed was the guess. You probably know more but what other people at the club work specifically with the forwards other than the forwards assistant. Ive just been having fun with it I guess.

He said he was close personal friends. I don’t recall him saying he worked with the players.

#5 Loss - a final

“I’m really frustrated because we dominated most of the stats so from that perspective we should have won the game”😂

Rewind and play again.
How to write a Chris Fagan press conference... There are only 4 of them...

WIN - top 8 team or 3-4 quarter performance against a bottom team:

"I'm really pleased with that. I dont think we had really any passengers here tonight, and we really played our game.

WIN - bottom team where we just do enough to fall over the line:

"I think tonight showed great character. We were off for a bit but we really hunkered down when it mattered and ground it out, and sometimes that's what matters. Really good effort by the boys".

LOSS - close, no matter who you're playing.

"I think the boys really brought the effort, just not quite the execution. It really was a game of almosts. We'll go away and learn some things, but I think it just shows the closeness of the competition."

LOSS - smashed

"I'm disappointed by that. I'm not sure where it came from - I certainly wasn't expecting it, but we just didn't perform tonight. We'll go away and learn some things. I don't want to overreact though - this is still the same team that has won X games, so it'll be more finetuning than wholesale changes.

Sheesh. I love Robbo, and 17 sprints would be way off him at his peak.

Being the highest lion is embarrassing - ever player under the age of 30 should hang their head in shame.

Every weeks banner - Mitch does 17 sprints.. Can you beat the old man?

I'm really angry now. That's not a coaching problem. That's right back on the players, they have let themselves down, they have crucified the coaches and they have been loose with the affections of the fans.

How bloody dare they do that to the Melbourne faithful. They are lucky to be an interstate team with a decent Victoria fan base, and they didn't even turn up to play.

3KZ is Football you did the right thing walking out on that game. Players don't deserve your love. Was going on Thursday night, started a family chat about staying away in protest.

No wonder Mitch keeps his position. Even the newbies don't gut run.

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

We ain't winning any finals when you aren't fit. The weekly game is the fitness driver and they aren't participating, so fitness is dropping.

Bring in any player in the reserves that puts in more effort than that.

Make it a standing rule - of you don't try as hard as the retiree, you are automatically dropped. Use the covid top ups and take a west coast type thrashing. Might remember to try after a couple of those.

I thought exactly the same thing. Berry was predominantly playing on the wing where I was sitting and when he was out by himself was constantly ignored.
Footballers are creatures of habit.If we are going to play with a wide wing it would take a few games for the team to wake up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wide wing has been used a lot by us. We defined the wing role early on as not just another mid fielder, but a specific position that stays wide, blocks the space and is ready for the quick switch.

Hence the all Australian chat for the past two years about Hugh getting ripped off because they pick midfielders in that position and not true wing players.

must of been sitting near me M16.

Yes he run and be like 20-30m ahead and not even looked at.
Demons player did not even try to man up as they knew we not kick it there.

A lot different watching in person.

Dev Rob coping it he seemed to me to swap with Rayner for centre square.
Where Rayner job was to get the ball.. Dev Rob seemed to be just following Oliver around.

I don't understand why there is any expectation on Mighty Lions, or anyone else for that matter, to contribute anything on this board if he chooses not to - what is your issue?
Sometimes he talks up our chances, or team selection, will take exception when people make a “negative” comment, then goes MIA when people want answers for such performances.

I appreciate his/her input here, but sometimes I would like answer to, “what happened?”, especially when it’s the opposite to what he was talking about prematch.

Sometimes he talks up our chances, or team selection, will take exception when people make a “negative” comment, then goes MIA when people want answers for such performances.

I appreciate his/her input here, but sometimes I would like answer to, “what happened?”, especially when it’s the opposite to what he was talking about prematch.
I dont see what obligation the poster has to explain anything.

Agree. He derides a dissenting opinion which I'm perfectly cool with .

So would love his perspective after he was so bullish.

It's full of the proverbial. No way would an assistant coach be posting on BF criticising players' efforts, otherwise our club would truly be ducked.

But I saw Chris fagan has an account on here

Back