Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're shouting. Still not your mate, pal.
Obviously I'm not yours either.

I actually studied Stalinist show trials in another life.

The world's greatest double agent Oleg Gordievsky bought time to escape when he brought it up in his interrogation decades later and they were so paranoid about it they only kept him under observation instead of knocking him off like they were prone to do.

You should read up on it. Fascinating story.

Robbo is running a live blog at the moment, one of the questions was about his role in the game v the Demons, Robbo said that maintaining wing width is the most boring thing in footy.

I don't understand why there is any expectation on Mighty Lions, or anyone else for that matter, to contribute anything on this board if he chooses not to - what is your issue?
What is the issue with wanting a specific persons thoughts on something?

I no I ask briztoon questions about drafts b/c he is knowledgable on that and I value his opinion. Same as Martinson or TomFC who I also like there posts and like engaging with them - its then up to them to respond isnt it if they want to - no expectation. Perhaps Im confused what a forum is but i like it b/c for years i did facebook thing but it was a mess and i struggled keeping up with the various topics and respnses compared to big footy.

He said he was close personal friends. I don’t recall him saying he worked with the players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ive been mucking around and love Mighty Lions contibution and opinion - so very knowldegeable compared to a nuffy like me - + calling him Jed is quicker than writing Mighty Lions lol

If the tigers win we are going to finish the round in second and a game clear of 4th.

I have a lot of doubts about our ability to win a flag/beat the dees but our team the other night was our weakest one we put out all year - we aren’t as bad as that. But clearly, we aren’t travelling well right now.

If the tigers win we are going to finish the round in second and a game clear of 4th.

I have a lot of doubts about our ability to win a flag/beat the dees but our team the other night was our weakest one we put out all year - we aren’t as bad as that. But clearly, we aren’t travelling well right now.

If we can’t handLe 2-3 injuries we won’t be much of a chance

If we can’t handLe 2-3 injuries we won’t be much of a chance
That's true but we did bring the wrong players in and I think the not travelling well bit is more to the point. We've dropped confidence , intensity and look a bit stale on our gameplan.

We are a lot better than how we're going. At least I'm hoping we are.

I am Chris Fagan
i-am-groot-season-1-release-date-1280x720.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

must of been sitting near me M16.

Yes he run and be like 20-30m ahead and not even looked at.
Demons player did not even try to man up as they knew we not kick it there.

A lot different watching in person.

Dev Rob coping it he seemed to me to swap with Rayner for centre square.
Where Rayner job was to get the ball.. Dev Rob seemed to be just following Oliver around.

sitting in M26

I think the MCG narrative is a complete red herring. It is a really lazy narrative. It keeps getting trotted out that our last win there was in 2014. Since then:

2015 - 1 game (loss to Dees); we placed 17th that season, Dees 13th.
2016 - 2 games (losses to Dees and Tigers); we placed 17th behind the VFL Bombers side, Dees 9th and Tigers 13th.
2017 - 2 games (losses to Dees and Collingwood; we placed 18th, Dees 9th and Collingwood 13th.
2018 - 1 game (loss to Tigers); we placed 15th, Tigers 1st.

Then we became a decent team.

2019 - 2 games (loss to Tigers and Essendon); we placed 2nd, Tigers 3rd and Essendon 8th.
2020 - 1 game (season opener loss to Hawks); we placed 2nd and Hawks 15th.
2021 - 0 games at the MCG.

So since the 2019 season, we have play at the MCG 3 times against two top 8 sides (3 years ago) and a bottom of the ladder team (two years ago), albeit in round 1 which throws up all sorts of results.

The MCG doesn't hold any unique significance aside from it being an interstate ground. It'll be beat up as an insurmountable task for us come finals, but I think it is a complete red herring.

Last edited:
I think the MCG narrative is a complete red herring. It is a really lazy narrative. It keeps getting trotted out that our last win there was in 2014. Since then:

2015 - 1 game (loss to Dees); we placed 17th that season, Dees 13th.
2016 - 2 games (losses to Dees and Tigers); we placed 17th behind the VFL Bombers side, Dees 9th and Tigers 13th.
2017 - 2 games (losses to Dees and Collingwood; we placed 18th, Dees 9th and Collingwood 13th.
2018 - 1 game (loss to Tigers); we placed 15th, Tigers 1st.

Then we became a decent team.

2019 - 2 games (loss to Tigers and Essendon); we placed 2nd, Tigers 3rd and Essendon 8th.
2020 - 1 game (season opener loss to Hawks); we placed 2nd and Hawks 15th.
2021 - 0 games at the MCG.

So since the 2019 season, we have play at the MCG 3 times against two top 8 sides (3 years ago) and a bottom of the ladder team (two years ago), albeit in round 1 which throws up all sorts of results.

The MCG doesn't hold any unique significance aside from it being an interstate ground. It'll be beat up as an insurmountable task for us come finals, but I think it is a complete red herring.

What if we can’t beat the Tigers in a few weeks?

What if we can’t beat the Tigers in a few weeks?

Depends on the nature of the loss, but I still don't think the MCG has anything to do with our wins/losses.

Depends on the nature of the loss, but I still don't think the MCG has anything to do with our wins/losses.
I agree Elixuh the evidence is a bit flimsy but for mine we don't play there that often and when we do we haven't played it well. And some sides play it very well.

We were absolutely terrible this week. It was a bit windy but our set shots on goal showed we had no idea how to play the angles there. Unlike the Gabba.

I don't want to play teams who are used to it there if we can help it.

I agree Elixuh the evidence is a bit flimsy but for mine we don't play there that often and when we do we haven't played it well. And some sides play it very well.

We were absolutely terrible this week. It was a bit windy but our set shots on goal showed we had no idea how to play the angles there. Unlike the Gabba.

I don't want to play teams who are used to it there if we can help it.

I'd like a better sample size to reach any kind of conclusion that the ground is a big factor in the losses. If we never played at Marvel and only at the G, so 5 to 6 times a year, do you think we would drop every match regardless of opponent? Do you think there are games we have won at Marvel that we wouldn't win on the G? I don't.

I'd like a better sample size to reach any kind of conclusion that the ground is a big factor in the losses. If we never played at Marvel and only at the G, so 5 to 6 times a year, do you think we would drop every match regardless of opponent? Do you think there are games we have won at Marvel that we wouldn't win on the G? I don't.
We've been completely slaughtered once in 3 years and it was the MCG.

Of course we wouldn't drop every match but on anything I've seen it's not a ground I'd prefer we played on if we had any choice.

Getting used to the atmosphere there is another issue . Whatever anyone says it's different. Preferably we should play the G 3 or 4 times a year to at least get used to it.

We've been completely slaughtered once in 3 years and it was the MCG.

Of course we wouldn't drop every match but on anything I've seen it's not a ground I'd prefer we played on if we had any choice.

Getting used to the atmosphere there is another issue . Whatever anyone says it's different. Preferably we should play the G 3 or 4 times a year to at least get used to it.

In the past three years we have been rolled twice in finals at the Gabba, yet we play there pretty well.

In the past three years we have been rolled twice in finals at the Gabba, yet we play there pretty well.
So ? We've never capitulated in a final at the Gabba and should've won another 2 of them with normal umpiring.

Like you I'm prepared to say the basic evidence is anything but conclusive that we don't go well at the MCG but on anything I've seen and my gut feel for how we reacted this week is that it's the last place I'd like us to play . Until we get a stronger team . Except for Ballarat. I even prefer Geelong. It's narrower and we go ok there. The wide expanses of the MCG don't suit us us with our current list and structure which isn't a run and gun style.

So ? We've never capitulated in a final at the Gabba and should've won another 2 of them with normal umpiring.

Like you I'm prepared to say the basic evidence is anything but conclusive that we don't go well at the MCG but on anything I've seen and my gut feel for how we reacted this week is that it's the last place I'd like us to play . Until we get a stronger team . Except for Ballarat. I even prefer Geelong. It's narrower and we go ok there. The wide expanses of the MCG don't suit us us with our current list and structure which isn't a run and gun style.

The 2020 prelim against Geelong felt like a capitulation tbh.

Back