Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Sydney v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney play system footy. Everyone knows their role. So do most good sides. We look like under 9s all running in every direction bumping into each other while the ball goes end to end. There seems to be no system at all other than if you get the ball, * around for a long time then when there are no options left ahead bomb it.
Of do a Dougal Howard needless pirouette and kick it at 90 degrees, preferably straight to the opposition or out on the full.

Fellas, relax. Our ball use was bad and let us down but otherwise it was actually a pretty good performance.

I have some concerns...

How has the group so quickly lost any confidence at all. Like so quickly vanished, king, crouch, jones, Howard,

Because if you are well drilled and things aren't going well... then you just need to hit the training track and work harder to get better at executing your set plays and skills.

But when you are NOT well drilled and have no set system or set plays (like us).... when things aren't going well you have nothing concrete to work on nailing at training to build your confidence on game day.

Our entire game 'plan' is based on us having moments of magic on gameday. Magic caused by skillful players who are running around on instinct, while nobody knows what's going to happen one moment to the next.

You can't really practice that (conjuring magic) at training in any sort of repeatable way.
Doing things over and over is what builds confidence.

Our entire 'plan' is to NOT do the same things over and again (ie be unpredictable/instinctive), so we can't really use the one main way there is to build confidence- doing stuff over and over again at training until you have confidence in yourself that you'll execute on gameday under pressure

Fellas, relax. Our ball use was bad and let us down but otherwise it was actually a pretty good performance.

I have some concerns...
That is simply unacceptable. I like the man but gee that’s cringe.

Reminder: Ratts has already signed a new deal.

Happy days.

Is this actually the case?

I thought it was still in negotiation? Hopefully so.

The last I saw written was that Rats had been offered a 2 year extension, but was in no hurry to sign. Hopefully he did not sign, and that our President will now suspend any offer till seasons end.

Last edited:
Except when he’s turning it over half the time

Yes, too many people judge NWM by the couple of amazing passes he does, whereas the bulk are poor. And when having a shot on goal he is dreadful.

He is a pure outside running receiver with no defensive game. This was one upon a time what wingman did, but in today's football it is not what goof wingman do.

Now the kid has talent, and he is still young with few games. But for today's game style he has a lot of work to do.

That is simply unacceptable. I like the man but gee that’s cringe.

Watching those videos makes me concerned that they’re not acknowledging how bad it was. If they can’t see how cooked we are that makes me think they don’t see that many issues that need addressing.

Point me to our last quality 4 quarter performance please Ratts. The last time we maintained pressure, execution and cohesion in the playing group for 4 quarters.

We all enjoyed those entertaining second halves against Hawthorn, Richmond, Adelaide and no doubt once we get a run on it’s entertaining and we can score quickly, but we never maintain that. It’s unsustainable and I worry that at it’s core our gameplan is unsustainable and the players are getting frustrated.

Yes, too many people judge NWM by the couple of amazing passes he does, whereas the bulk are poor. And when having a shot on goal he is dreadful.

He is a pure outside running receiver with no defensive game. This was one upon a time what wingman did, but in today's football it is not what goof wingman do.

Now the kid has talent, and he is still young with few games. But for today's game style he has a lot of work to do.

Shock horror, skinny teenage kid with a handful of games under his belt has lot to work on.

Jeepers.

The kid has shown more in his first handful of games than guys like montagna or gresham did.

Who cares if he has mare?

If he does, he goes back to the 2's and works on his game.

He's overachieving even earning a spot in the 22 at this point in a team that's supposed to be contending for finals and a flag (according to the president at least).

Give me a work in progress kid who's shown flashes of poise and brilliance in the big leagues as a teenager over a manchild like dunstan who hits their ceiling as a teen any day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a design flaw- it's a design FEATURE.

We have no system deliberately.

Surely not you say?

View attachment 1432858

The theory is that we will be unpredictable, which will screw up the opposition's defensive structures.

In practice though all that happens is that it screws up OUR offensive structures.

Unpredictability is a double edged sword.

Sure, the opposition don't know what you're gonna do next.... but neither do your teammates ffs.

All we get with this '"no system IS the system" approach by rath and ratts is headless chooks launching long moonballs and blind panic disposals.

It works against:
A. crap teams and
B. half decent teams when they sit off us and don't pressure.

But it almost always turns to custard against:
A. decent teams and
B. half decent teams which put our ball carrier under a lot of sustained pressure.

It simply does not work, clearly ratts and rath are wedded to it though.

Credit to them for trying to break the mould a little and innovate, but the writing is on the wall- it doesn't beat a well organised and drilled team.

God I hope the club have the stones to accept that we've tried and failed with ratts and rath- time to throw 20 kitchen sinks at a guy who will give our guys a system... clarko

Unfortunately you are on the money.

Good teams are well drilled and have their Plan As, Bs and Cs so that they can act without thinking. They just know where their team mates will be, as everyone knows there role, and they can all work together as a TEAM.

The just react and DO. They do not have to think. This means that they act quickly.

Whereas we are STOP and PROP. Players never really know where their team mates are and is alos why our forward line entries have largely been so poor this season.

We lack elite mids, as we have done so for years. Way too often we recruit non-mids with the idea that we can turn them into mids. ie Billings, Coffield, Clark, Jones, Gresham.... If Windy and Owens do not step up next season we are going to be in for a world of hurt.

In an era when more and more teams have two key forwards. We have one, and we waste him by not having him lead and in always allowing an outnumber on him.

With teams like the Lions, Blues, Swans all adding more of the right type of class we are in big trouble moving forward. Dogs should be better, but just have not been able to get their key forwards and backs right.

Last edited:
Seriously, what's happened in the past few weeks? Top eight looked a real possibility just a short time ago, but the wheels have totally come off. Squad depth just not there?
We played all the easier sides... bar Geelong

Level of difficulty went up

I seriously would be getting Grant Thomas back to the club, not as the head coach but as a coaching consultant.

He is one of our smartest ex-players, he has our best interests at heart and we have gone downhill since he left.

Lack of heart ain't the issue.

It's the lack of a brain.
2022 team

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back