Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Sydney v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Battle also did a much better job in the ruck against port than Sharman and Long did last night, why not use Battle as the relief ruck when Reid went in there?
Coaches don't like disrupting and moving a key pillar from the defensive set up at a time when your more likely to lose the centre bounce. It's why it is extremely rare for any teams 2nd ruck to be a backline player. Taking someone from the forward line is fine because if you do win it, you can cover up forward more easily than if you take a key defender out of your set up.

One comment I picked up from rats presser was he mentioned with Hill out and sincs tagged we had no other runners from the back - says a lot of what he thinks of Clark!

King needs to move. He stands there doing nothing. He needs membrey to show him how. Or watch Franklin. Even plugger had to lead most of the time to get the ball.

Our big guys point to the sky and run away from the ball asking for it over the top. It’s just soooooo wrong.
Is this a coaching issue or player issue. I clearly remember Ratts saying with King, part of his role is to bring the ball to the ground if he can’t mark it.. and let the small forwards get to work.. and what’s the point of leading if you’re never getting the ball, our forward line really is a dogs breakfast, unless we force a turnover, it’s always congested and has no space, where as the opposition forward line seem to be always open.. to me that’s a game style/game plan issue, tell your forwards to stay home and don’t come to backline to defend, tell your defence and mids to stop playing safe and move on the ball quick, and tell your backline to stop pushing up and use zone defence to defend.. basically rely on each line to play their role, King is almost unstoppable if you can hit him on the lead.. so, why then wait until their entire midfield is camping in their defence before kicking into our 50? Because we are still worried about our skills, the thing is if you don’t train for it/play the way you should be playing, what’s the point of scrapping wins (relying on momentum shifts in the game e.g. 3rd quarter surge in some games) to win. Because it won’t happen every game..

Carlton moves the ball really quick (they have Saa, docherty playing as reboundibg defenders), and then use quick link up on the wing/overlap runs to kick into an open forward line to a leading Mckay or Curnow.. It’s simple, gives their forwards a chance and it works at least half of the time..

That’s a very simple game plan, why can’t we do it? instead, we instruct players all to run to hot spots at half back or forward line for long bomb, get a ball up/boundary throw in, then reset, lose the contested ball, then defend, rinse and repeat.. a very inefficient and low physically taxing game plan to execute.. I really think we over complicated the game.. trying to use flood/low risk plays to contain the opposition (high line, control the ball by slow play out of the back line), then rely on momentum to kick some goals..

Coaches don't like disrupting and moving a key pillar from the defensive set up at a time when your more likely to lose the centre bounce. It's why it is extremely rare for any teams 2nd ruck to be a backline player. Taking someone from the forward line is fine because if you do win it, you can cover up forward more easily than if you take a key defender out of your set up.

Which makes sense, but Sharman as the backup ruck wasn’t working, we were getting smashed but still weren’t that far behind for a long time and Howard and Wilkie were taking the key defensive posts anyways. As I said, if we weren’t going to use Battle and were thinking Sharman we probably should have just played Campbell. But it looks like we don’t even rate Campbell because he can’t do much more than he has been in the twos so I don’t even know why he’s on our list.

Of course if you win you get away with conceding things like that but we aren’t winning anymore.

There has been some big calls by some people blaming the supporters for their lack of belief and how it affects team morale.

There is one thing that us supporters haven't lost and that's our PASSION for the St Kilda football club.

Insipid performances like last night just make me want to fight harder for our club and get it back in the hands of people who care for its future.

You missed my point entirely. NWM is being taught only how to play a useless role. Having him run up and down the ground playing unaccountable football is not going to benefit him or the club any.

He would be much better off in a role that has value in the modern game. But if you think it is great that he plays that way, well that is your view. I disagree. It smells of us ruining yet another potentially good player.
We don’t use our wings effectively, basically our long bombs to a pack just bypass the whole wing and midfield entirely, it’s almost raising the white flag saying our midfield is crap, and we can’t move the ball efficiently using the wings, or through midfield, let’s just ask the entire forward line to form a pack in half back so we can at least break even and gain some territory.. very reactive and as a result we look more like a rugby scrum team rather than aussie rules..

I see the same old usernames posting here, week after week, year after year. I think a lot of you guys are insane, no offence. Stop supporting this football club in any way and you might just see some change for the better.

Yeah well if we weren’t lost causes we probably wouldn’t be here in the first place 😂

The fates of the 2 clubs since couldn’t be more contrasting.
Indeed. The Hawks later took our premiership coach who helped set them up for a few flags and a dynasty. Maybe we should return the compliment ?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be surprised (and probably impressed) if anyone here can defend this performance. Some said it was a bigger workload for the loss last week LOL so let's see what magic we can work with the excuses this week.
Oh don't worry , I'm sure there will be some to defend our bunch of girl guides

See i was right

Last edited:
It's really good spending your hard earned to see a live game like last night :drunk:
My highlights were sitting next to a Sydney based Saint fan who reads Bigfooty and watching the Saints little league win.
Apologies if it's already been covered but why did Sinclair spend time in the forward line?

Something I liked early was when Dougal did his arrogant handball feign x3 instead of getting off the mark, then attempting to sell candy which hasn’t worked the previous 27 times he’s attempted it, only to shin-shank it sky high for something different.
Smoke behind the dark mirror. Bush did 9/11.
You have got to give it to Howard , he does his best to do something stupid every week and to his credit he does succeed , Him being named as Captain for port was the biggest upsell ive seen in years , it was all about getting more for him when they told him to F Off 7 games later .

5.01 mins to go first quarter , its gold

Last edited:
Can anyone explain why Ryder was rested/managed?

Here's a new first and innovation for our Club.

Be the first club to allow RDO's or RGO's they can call them ... Rostered Games Off

23 disposals (82% DE), 42 hitouts (to Hickey’s 17), 12 contested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 300m-gained (to Hickey’s 131), 6 inside-50’s (game-high), 7 marks, 5 clearances, 131 ranking points (Hickey 90).

Pretty damn good, especially if he’s still injured.

Ryder would be a great foil for Max up forward.
shows it wasn't the rucks fault then. Even with a dominant one we still sucked in the midfield... need the boys to step up then.

23 disposals (82% DE), 42 hitouts (to Hickey’s 17), 12 contested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 300m-gained (to Hickey’s 131), 6 inside-50’s (game-high), 7 marks, 5 clearances, 131 ranking points (Hickey 90).

Pretty damn good, especially if he’s still injured.

Ryder would be a great foil for Max up forward.

How quickly can we get Max Heath in.

Watched him a few times at Sandringham and he looks a great talent.

How quickly can we get Max Heath in.

Watched him a few times at Sandringham and he looks a great talent.
Watched him a few times he not AFL Ready

Should fit right in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back