Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Sydney v St.Kilda

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
In all seriousness, these woke games have to go.

I am all for their causes, they are all worthy, I am all for the wellness centre, LGBT inclusiveness, research into the terrible disease that took Maddie Riewoldt st 26.

Every single one are important and worthy.

However I go to the footy for football, not to be lectured by 'the message' about causes.
We have to work out our identity. Does the STKFC exist for its members and winning a flag, or is it too wrapped up in progressive culture wars?

Cairnsman

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is brilliant. Imagine the money we could make on merchandise every year. And we just have to make sure it's always against last years wooden spooners.
yes absolutely, a great idea, and the club could bring out all of the woodens spoons and stake them in the ground as part of the pre game celebrations and have maybe all the living captains from the spoon years be paraded around the ground in a motorcade. man I am copyrighting this and selling it to the club asap.

TheOsprey

TheBalls / Indie Rock
Jul 30, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Few observations from a terrible night:

We have zero dare in our game, we defend with the ball in our hand, we don't link up at all, that could be personnel or instructional, my guess it's the former.

We have players that hold the ball to long after a mark. Ross, Membrey, Patton, Billings, Howard these guys hold onto it after a mark usually for at least 4-5 seconds, it just kills your ball movement.

BJ made a great point about King, he hasn't got much forward craft at the moment relies on his physical ability and presence rather then smarts when he combines the 2 it'll look a lot better and a lot more consistent. He is 21 i'm not in the slightest concerned.

Marshall was dominant last night with not a lot of return. If Ryder isn't cherry ripe to come back i'd like us to keep looking at him as a one out option. I think he plays his best footy in that scenario and we are investing a lot of money and years in him, we probably need to get the best possible return, him one out in the Ruck will give him and the club the best chance to achieve that.

Jones i'm sure would've been dropped if Dmac didn't get hurt. He was wearing White along with Ryder and Hill at training. He has been nothing short of shocking the last 6 weeks.

Clark found some form and touch, especially early. The holding the Ball and 50 at the start of the third probably sucked the life out of the team which is very disappointing. Our resilience was our main strength for the first half of the year we've lost that. Destiny is still in our hands considering we play all the teams above us. Win Next week we're back on track.

We’ll get Josh Kelly in the off season and win the flag next year.

TheOsprey

TheBalls / Indie Rock
Jul 30, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

I am all for their causes, they are all worthy, I am all for the wellness centre, LGBT inclusiveness, research into the terrible disease that took Maddie Riewoldt st 26.

However I go to the footy for football, not to be lectured by 'the message' about causes.
We have to work out our identity. Does the STKFC exist for its members and winning a flag, or is it too wrapped up in progressive culture wars?

Agree with you 100%. Causes that are important but surely can be brought to the attention in other ways.

A lot of the current players would have been close to Spud. It can’t be good to have to relive his funeral every year before a game.

Jesuswasacarpenter

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Membrey's best position is full forward, and Ratts should play him there and figure out what to do about King's one-dimensional game amongst other forward line problems, let alone playing Sharman as a ruck/ half forward or whatever...what a mess
Maybe swap Sharman and King...King in the centre square and around the ground...possible frothage moments could occur

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just got off the phone with my dad, his three take aways from the match.

- Don’t re-sign Ratten

- Steele shouldn’t be captain (too quiet)

- For me to stop calling Max King a superstar

I really cbf listening to these opinions until the end of the season!

Cairnsman

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

and can I add, someone posted this but it just resonated with me, it feels like you are attending a music and light show and occasionally a footy game breaks out, and the TV broadcasters now pipe the music being played between goals loudly over the broadcast and the commentators stop talking to give it full effect. I think I'm getting to the point where every aspect of footy is unrecognisable and unrelatable to me.

May 22, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I literally cried in the 4th quarter because we’re so disappointing, and I’m so sad we are so s**t, and we’re in no man’s land with our coaching and the young ones who showed promise look lost as anything. Hard to stomach how we got back to this low point, and still so much more pain ahead in this season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jesuswasacarpenter

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we should introduce Grand Final as a theme, it would be a massive success with our supporter base, one week of the year we could attend the footy and pretend it is an actual Grand Final. You could start the weekend with a GF parade on the Friday, the pre game entertainment could be re enactments of how to lose a GF, then after we lose we could all meet up at the club on the Sunday to greet the players and support each other after another devastating loss. I think it would be huge success for our club and would quickly be the themed round we most look forward to, I'm going to contact the club and float the idea.
Another marquee game, however without the back ground of sadness...which is what mental health, and recognising everyone right to be themselves without *silly people judgement...just a focus on the celebration after a triumph...maybe that game should be round 1 as a precursor to the final game of the year...it's like taking beneficial substances...there is no upper limit...it just that the next day can not be as productive.

Watching those videos makes me concerned that they’re not acknowledging how bad it was. If they can’t see how cooked we are that makes me think they don’t see that many issues that need addressing.

Point me to our last quality 4 quarter performance please Ratts. The last time we maintained pressure, execution and cohesion in the playing group for 4 quarters.

We all enjoyed those entertaining second halves against Hawthorn, Richmond, Adelaide and no doubt once we get a run on it’s entertaining and we can score quickly, but we never maintain that. It’s unsustainable and I worry that at it’s core our gameplan is unsustainable and the players are getting frustrated.

he's just protecting his own hide and has been doing so for a while... the whole "they just didnt bring pressure" "they just didnt execute" is a perfect argument for him, it means it's not the coaches... it's not structure... it's not game plan... it's not how they've developed the players over the last 3 seasons... its not the football department... it's not the body of work of the coaching group led by him... it's just minor instances the players can tweak and we'll be back

or the whole "i dont buy into this we have a harder draw coming up... every game is hard" that's exactly the reasoning i'd be using to justify the pies/port games. first half of the season was amazing because they're all tough games. never mind the super s**t performances vs the pies and port.

which is what makes the whole back slapping by the president at the mid season break so hilariously arrogant. in one breath he's dismissed clarkson whilst pumping up ratten for an amazing first half of the season. its just foolish and stupid.

LuckyBounce!

All Australian
May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

You will upset the snowflakes with this post

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
For a year he sat behind me. He gets properly shitty at uncommitted performances (without acting like a dill). He's not just doing the job to make connections and end up running the local yacht club.
He’s an old animal enclosure regular at moorabbin so he’s coming from the right place as a president. That is a hardened stkilda tragic with plenty of money to boot . Westaway etc are no comparison.

Was Howard really good in 2020 and patches of 2021 or am I wearing rose colored glasses?

howards issue is he's a terrible one on one defender. he cannot go with a leading fwd for example hawkins. he's often caught out between plays. a good example of this was vs wright against essendon. couldnt be ****ed running back with wright and instead turned to watch the footy, turned back to wright, still didnt care, then started to slowly job after him.

he's not an intercept defender either and lacks footskills to be effective as an attacking defender.

One comment I picked up from rats presser was he mentioned with Hill out and sincs tagged we had no other runners from the back - says a lot of what he thinks of Clark!
clark is fools gold.

he will never be the inside mid people think he can be. he lacks the defencive side of his game to actually be an accountable defender and the two way running means he wont be a winger.

clark may change it, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

he's very very very lucky to be playing senior footy right now.

Robbo on 3AW just now reckons the President is not going to put up with this - watch this space,
I think he said.....he's never wrong, so......
the president should have a big long hard *in look at himself

he's communication two seasons in a row has been utterly embarrassing. he went on radio and claimed ratten would get extended and in the same conversation told everyone whilst clarkson aint worth getting and ratten is much better.

the guys so easily moved in his assessment and its so damn flippant, maybe he should identify himself as a big *in part of the problem.

maybe he shouldn't have committed to ratten so *in quickly and actually waited for us to atleast play each club once this season.

if there’s one person at the club I would trust to do what needs to be done - it’s him.

why?

the guys waxed and waned over what the expectation is and where the club is at every 6 months for the last two years.

end of 2020: we make finals he makes a speech at the b&f about challenging in 2021
mid season 2021: we are losing games. he comes out and tells members 2020 was a once off due to the hub and shortened qtrs. tells people he never thought we'd challenge in 2021 but instead 2022. we are undertaking a bridging the gap project to review the entire footy dept.
end of 2021: start to win some games. tells members bridging the gap worked and we started to turn it around. looking to challenge in 2022.
mid season 2022: had an amazing first half of the season. dont want clarkson the messiah coach. we have a great team led by ratten. will extend ratten. looking forward to the remainder of the year.

literally weeks later we are now hearing talk from robbo that he's not going to stand for this.

like *in literally, its an absolute s**t show. reminds me of the members q&a session last year where we were told fitness wasnt an issue... only to then be told 6 months later fitness was an issue.

do they have any idea of where this club is at... or is it reactionary bullshit?

Last edited:

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
he's just protecting his own hide and has been doing so for a while... the whole "they just didnt bring pressure" "they just didnt execute" is a perfect argument for him, it means it's not the coaches... it's not structure... it's not game plan... it's not how they've developed the players over the last 3 seasons... its not the football department... it's not the body of work of the coaching group led by him... it's just minor instances the players can tweak and we'll be back

or the whole "i dont buy into this we have a harder draw coming up... every game is hard" that's exactly the reasoning i'd be using to justify the pies/port games. first half of the season was amazing because they're all tough games. never mind the super s**t performances vs the pies and port.

which is what makes the whole back slapping by the president at the mid season break so hilariously arrogant. in one breath he's dismissed clarkson whilst pumping up ratten for an amazing first half of the season. its just foolish and stupid.
Yes, the crux of the problem is we are so desperate for success, just paper over the cracks, and celebrate little successes like we’re good/close enough to be a top side..

Whilst the wins are nice early this year and back in 2020.. at least half of the time, when the opposition get their act together and apply the press on us.. our ball movement from the backline will completely shut down, basically defend for the entire quarter.. no one even bothered to tell the defenders to compose, get to a player on the outside and find a quick mark, then spread hard to move the ball, every time is a panicked hack kick or handball which leads to a turnover and more pressure.. When will Ratts set us up to play with a real system.. just relying on King and Higgins to get off the chain kick 4-5 goals every week is a reliable strategy, especially considering our shocking forward entries..

So take responsibilities Ratts, either step down or own up and try to fix it.. We need players with dare and skills to execute.. who’s confidence you have not destroyed yet.. e.g. Connelly, Highmore

Back