Review Round 15, 2023 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St.Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where Fagan loses respect from me. Not that he or anyone else cares about that.

Sure bring them back if their fitness and skills make us a better team.

But they are not playing because they weren't making us a better team. Even they could see that.

This stubborn 'they will be back' is infuriating.

I want the message to be we will play whoever makes the team better, and they will be considered just like all the other players including the young players who are currently busting their butts.

Fagan is far from an idiot - what is the message he is trying to send? That's he is loyal to these players ahead of being loyal to the club (Rich I get but what does the club owe gunston?) That their current form is NOT an indication of their current form? That their past form is always achievable (clearly not).

I just don't get his messaging. Can any of you lot see what this is about?

Also, how sad is it that a senior, loyal player was selected and put in the position where his current deficiencies were so great they got plastered across footy media all week.

That's the club not showing respect. Should never have happened, should have been managed. Geelong and others do this and respect the ability AND the current status of legend players.
100% agree. It sends a very poor message when the coach is in the media saying that these two horribly out of form and physically unsound players will be selected in the seniors, without indicating that there will be some performance benchmarks that need to be met. Remember, for them to come in, players have to be dropped. Why is there such a suspension of standard practice for Rich and Gunston, but not for others. Why isn’t Fagan in the media publicly backing Ah Chee, Lyons, Prior or Fullerton to play seniors? Why do some players have to bust their guts in the reserves for extended periods and only be “considered” for a game if there is an injury to Fagan’s preferred 22? Rich and Gunston need to get themselves fit, play reserves football and demonstrate they are currently at the required standard to warrant selection. The other thing is, I wonder how players who have been dropped multiple times by Fagan are seeing this situation? As their careers enter the ‘end stage’ how are Rich and Gunston any different to a player like Mitch Robinson for example?

Last edited:
How good was Wilmots run up the wing!
The impressive part for me was the fact that rather than just hack it forward, he quickly identified that he had nothing worthwhile ahead of him, so he took it upon himself to cover as much distance by foot as possible (and keep the footy), until options ahead looked better. Very smart young footballer imo

I'm a big proponent of the 2 rucks with one resting forward particularly late in games on big grounds.

I wouldn't put Gunston in again under any circumstances unless it's a radically different Gunston.

Dev was given the short straw last night. Not a lot of opportunity. I have doubts on Fletch seeing out the season this year ,just don't know.

The one player we do miss is Zorko.
I would give Fullarton a run before either Fort or Gunston. He is way more mobile and has built up his fitness and strength this year. He could be another late developer like Payne imo

I cannot give Neale a vote has his direct opponent had 20 percent more disposals and kicked one goal one.

Ever since I claimed Hippy was inconsistent he has played three rippers. Andrews was great (two bad errors cost goals though) with his marking but Payne gave King a bath which I thpought more inmportant

Hippy the dominate forward. King invisable. Four goal win.

What has happened to Lester? He now pack spoils when he has to and stays down when he has to, and he is no longer slow.

Isn't Joe frustrating? So good and so bad in the one game.

Youngsters looking good.
29 touches @83% 10 clearances

36 touches @58% 6 clearances.

You are delusional if you think neale wasn't one of if not best on ground.

I agree with you.

Let's wait till it happens and we can do a full meltdown.

I don't mind if they win their way back , but you couldn't have either ahead of anyone currently in the team on this season's form.
It is a bit like when a fit and in form Lester was dropped for an unfit and out of form Gardiner. Make them earn their place in the side.

We are missing a genuine third tall forward that much is obvious.
When I was at training on Thursday, I though that Gunston in particular looks genuinely committed to getting himself fit and ready for action again.

If Gunston gets up and fit then great, we know how good a player he is and of course we’d want that in our team.

But if not? I don’t think we need a third tall. Hipwood and Daniher are more than mobile enough that the extra space really benefits them.

I would give Fullarton a run before either Fort or Gunston. He is way more mobile and has built up his fitness and strength this year. He could be another late developer like Payne imo
I thought Fullarton played a decent role in our finals campaign last season. I'd rather he get another chance before Gunston.

Think you guys are reading a lot more than you should into Fages comments on Rich/Gunston post match.

It really was the most noncommittal response to a reporter that asked the same question twice in a row. It was NOT a “yeah few weeks and they’ll be straight back in”, it was a “yeah I dunno I’ll have to see how they go and we’ll have a chat with them to see what they think they’re doing, if they need some reserves time” etc.

Yeah Joe Daniher, what a disgrace. Only 19 possessions, 2 goals and 8 marks. Wish we had Kings 7 possessions, 2 behinds, zero goals zero marks and the 2 fifties he gave away. He plays full forward, you lot that like to target Joe genuinely have no idea.

Joe Daniher the full forward with 2 goals and those number of possessions will be invaluable. It's Joe Daniher the ruck who makes him painful to watch, when he's having an off night.

I appreciate him presenting to wing as the relief kick and marking target. When he wheels around and under no pressure kicks out on full - that's when it becomes a nightmare. I'm not one of those "every week Joe's bad" posters but yesterday Saints were not going away and there were several plays where he was handing momentum back to them.

Think you guys are reading a lot more than you should into Fages comments on Rich/Gunston post match.

It really was the most noncommittal response to a reporter that asked the same question twice in a row. It was NOT a “yeah few weeks and they’ll be straight back in”, it was a “yeah I dunno I’ll have to see how they go and we’ll have a chat with them to see what they think they’re doing, if they need some reserves time” etc.
I think reading between the lines and from what I've heard Rich is done but Gunston he definitely wants back in if Gunston can prove fitness.

I think reading between the lines and from what I've heard Rich is done but Gunston he definitely wants back in if Gunston can prove fitness.

What a sad way for Rich to bow out.

Would love a farewell home game but they didn't do it for robbo so ... Well, things are different now. So maybe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love a farewell home game but they didn't do it for robbo so ... Well, things are different now. So maybe
Personally I think both Rich and Gunston will play games again before finals to see how they go and if any form of defensive liability is still there they will not play finals imo.

They didn’t do it for Robbo because it was the end of the season and you can’t really give a player a farewell game when it matters. Think Nathan Jones for Melbourne. Sad, but unfortunate.

Rich? If they want to do that, we have west coast in 2 weeks lol.

Rich should get the West coast game. Robinson wasn't in the same league as him. Daniher is frustrating more than anything. Andrews was immense as was Oscar's first quarter. It was a terrible advertisement for the sport, but we won and at the moment that's what we need.

Next week will not be easy.

Credit to Fagan and the coaching staff they out coached Ross Lyon. Soon as the Saints flooded back we chipped it around and often switched it so the defence was never settled. We didn't bomb recklessly.

Only criticism of Fagan last night was Daniher in the ruck. He just doesn't even complete. One centre bounce he didn't even bother jumping just let the Saints ruck win it unopposed and 20secs later they kicked the goal. He is handy around the ground but he needs to do a lot better in ruck.

The good part of Daniher's game last night was he showed better vision and instead of blazing away looked inside with some nice passes.

Hipwood was outstanding. Really got his confidence up. Love when he leads from the goal square.

Harris Andrews had a night to remember - marked everything and was able to thanks to Jack Payne's job on King who never got near it. Lester and Starcevich were also excellent.

The young guys are really giving us a lift. Wilmot with that great run. Fletcher really worked hard and made some good decisions. Lohmann was busy and looks to me like the replacement for Linc.

Thought we dominated out of the centre majority of the night - Big Oscar had a top game. Neale and Dunkley working well in tandem. McCluggage and Berry had good nights on the wing.

Need to beat Richmond next Thursday night then we have Eagles at home and then the big test against the Dees at the MCG.

I agree. It is the misuse of one of our biggest assets to have Daniher in the ruck. It also increases the likelihood of him sustaining serious injury, which is why I think he is “soft” at many of his ruck contests. He doesn’t want to be injured and I think that this is in the back of his mind.

Can't get injured if you don't compete. He was an embarrassment in the ruck last night.

Can't get injured if you don't compete. He was an embarrassment in the ruck last night.
Agree. Every time he went into the ruck, St.Kilda started to regain momentum. Did you and the boys go last night?

Joe Daniher the full forward with 2 goals and those number of possessions will be invaluable. It's Joe Daniher the ruck who makes him painful to watch, when he's having an off night.

I appreciate him presenting to wing as the relief kick and marking target. When he wheels around and under no pressure kicks out on full - that's when it becomes a nightmare. I'm not one of those "every week Joe's bad" posters but yesterday Saints were not going away and there were several plays where he was handing momentum back to them.

Joe Daniher the ruck is the one getting the touches.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Daniher made his name as a key forward - not a bloody Ruckman. He is not a Ruckman and never will be. We can all see that he is not anywhere near being one so why do these fools put him in the Ruck. His position is a KEY FORWARD so play him there. They may as well put Hipwood in the Ruck and you would get the same result as Joe. Don't criticise Joe for being poor in the Ruck. Fullarton also was thrown in the deep end when he had to Ruck. To me all this comes back to the Team Selections.

Back