Review Round 15, 2023 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St.Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugh McCluggage looked better last night, would be stupendous if he got back to his best form, Starcevich and Bailey are another 2 who have been a little off this season but have been better the last couple of games... we're timing our run to perfection.:D

Hugh McCluggage looked better last night, would be stupendous if he got back to his best form, Starcevich and Bailey are another 2 who have been a little off this season but have been better the last couple of games... we're timing our run to perfection.:D
It was a good game from McCluggage coming back from concussion.
Players are not always back to their usual output.

Lions team position, stats wise for McCluggage
4th in Disposals
1st in Goal Assists
5th in Meters Gained
Equal 2nd in Contested possession
Equal 3rd in Clearances
Equal 3rd in Tackles
Equal 3rd in Inside 50's

Finally watched game. Imagine talking s**t about Joe Daniher - come on fam, let's not be stupid. It's okay to say "hey, our forward line looked very functional".

Hipwood has been building this season but jeeze he has broken out the last few weeks. I think he'll shine in the two tall forward line.

I think Joe and Rayner both played their roles well.

Can only see Zork coming in for Kai: the rest feels much more balanced now.

It was a good game from McCluggage coming back from concussion.
Players are not always back to their usual output.

Lions team position, stats wise for McCluggage
4th in Disposals
1st in Goal Assists
5th in Meters Gained
Equal 2nd in Contested possession
Equal 3rd in Clearances
Equal 3rd in Tackles
Equal 3rd in Inside 50's
Clug also spent a bit more time on the wing. In general I thought we used our wings alot more these past two weeks then we have for a long time. Weather that has been via coaching or just generally trying to retain possession, I'm not 100% sure.

The play where we moved the ball slowly across the ground that Clug ran onto to and then dishes into the middle for Hipwood was perfect. We need to do that more to beat the super clogged forward line we are guaranteed to face for the rest of the year.

Clug also spent a bit more time on the wing. In general I thought we used our wings alot more these past two weeks then we have for a long time. Weather that has been via coaching or just generally trying to retain possession, I'm not 100% sure.

The play where we moved the ball slowly across the ground that Clug ran onto to and then dishes into the middle for Hipwood was perfect. We need to do that more to beat the super clogged forward line we are guaranteed to face for the rest of the year.

This. We have some decent footballers on the wings, and now we are using them, we are a better team.

This. We have some decent footballers on the wings, and now we are using them, we are a better team.

I have been saying for years the wings have been an issue for the Lions.
One of the missing links to a GF if you like.
The last 2 weeks our wing play has been a little different. A lot more productive offense wise but still good defense wise.
It is a little early to say we have settled on a good combination. Berry, Fletcher + wing relief to McCluggage and others.

Need Fletcher to grow in confidence each week to keep that combination more than solid.
But that is asking a lot for a 1st year player to play well for the remainder of the year and then finals.
Let's hope he is up to the task and actually gets better rather than dropping off as some young players often do.

29 touches @83% 10 clearances

36 touches @58% 6 clearances.

You are delusional if you think neale wasn't one of if not best on ground.
Do you see that my post was questioning the complete disregard that most have of any midfielder's opponent?

The St Kilda's coach thought that Neale direct opponent was St Kilda's best player.

If number 35 for the saints had kicked five goals would you have said that Neale was in Brissie best? I am being provocative here.

Neale's great strength is that he always contributes as he is so good with the ball, never fumbles etc etc etc.

He played well as usual (always would be a better word) but I question if his competition with his opponent could mean he was possibly not our better players

You have to beat your direct opponent but this is a thought that belongs on the Over 50's thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you see that my post was questioning the complete disregard that most have of any midfielder's opponent?

The St Kilda's coach thought that Neale direct opponent was St Kilda's best player.

If number 35 for the saints had kicked five goals would you have said that Neale was in Brissie best? I am being provocative here.

Neale's great strength is that he always contributes as he is so good with the ball, never fumbles etc etc etc.

He played well as usual (always would be a better word) but I question if his competition with his opponent could mean he was possibly not our better players

You have to beat your direct opponent but this is a thought that belongs on the Over 50's thread.
I agree with the thought of over 50s thread but you are making up stats to strengthen your argument, he obviously didn't kick 5 goals. Neale being clean with disposal is one of the key factors of contributing to the team you are entitled not to vote for him that's fine, but the games moved on from the 80s.
Agree to disagree I suppose, and yes I'm over 50.

I agree with the thought of over 50s thread but you are making up stats to strengthen your argument, he obviously didn't kick 5 goals. Neale being clean with disposal is one of the key factors of contributing to the team you are entitled not to vote for him that's fine, but the games moved on from the 80s.
Could I be a little annoyed with your stat reference? It was only in the post to point out Sinclair had far more disposals than anyone else on the ground. It wasn't the point really.

However, I am looking, with anticipation, for the coaches votes.

It will be amusing to both of us if both coaches give both players votes!!!

On the same tract. Who were your better StKilda players?

I will go and look at the StKilda thread review of the game. I predict they will give Sinclair their best player.

Go Lions.

Poor form continues.

Thank god for Sinclair

Copy and paste from the second post on the saint's thread.

I cannot stand the worship of midfielders.

Interesting seeing a few things on the post game shows. The first was great seeing Bundy in the rooms talking to a number of boys. The second which featured during BT doing his schtick talking to Jack Payne and his GF who said she lives in Melbourne and working with Jet Star. No idea if she is a Brissie girl or not but hope he's not wanting to leave anytime soon. The last was seeing ex-Lion Ben Robbins who is Saints club pyschologist and sits on the bench talking with the players as they come off the ground. Looked him up on LinkedIn and hes been there 3 years now - had no idea he was pych but good on him, was a pretty limited player if memory serves.

Daniher would make a great ‘Utility’ - the great forgotten football position.

View attachment 1721058
Bernie Quinland in his Brownlow year was allowed by Robert Walls to go anywhere on the field at any time. I remember him kicking many goals on Bruce Doull down at the Junction where he went into the centre square for the ball up several times. Doull's visible apprehension at being in there was fun to see,

The game is far to regulated for Joe to do the same thing now 3KZ

No such thing as a direct opponent in the middle.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting seeing a few things on the post game shows. The first was great seeing Bundy in the rooms talking to a number of boys. The second which featured during BT doing his schtick talking to Jack Payne and his GF who said she lives in Melbourne and working with Jet Star. No idea if she is a Brissie girl or not but hope he's not wanting to leave anytime soon. The last was seeing ex-Lion Ben Robbins who is Saints club pyschologist and sits on the bench talking with the players as they come off the ground. Looked him up on LinkedIn and hes been there 3 years now - had no idea he was pych but good on him, was a pretty limited player if memory serves.
That is a classic Oxymoron, it is a wonder Jack's girlfriend ever turns up at all.

well,bugger me, i used to play cricket with ben robins.......top bloke

Bernie Quinland in his Brownlow year was allowed by Robert Walls to go anywhere on the field at any time. I remember him kicking many goals on Bruce Doull down at the Junction where he went into the centre square for the ball up several times. Doull's visible apprehension at being in there was fun to see,

The game is far to regulated for Joe to do the same thing now 3KZ
If only Joe could in some small way emulate Bernie in any aspect of football ..

I have been saying for years the wings have been an issue for the Lions.
One of the missing links to a GF if you like.
The last 2 weeks our wing play has been a little different. A lot more productive offense wise but still good defense wise.
It is a little early to say we have settled on a good combination. Berry, Fletcher + wing relief to McCluggage and others.

Need Fletcher to grow in confidence each week to keep that combination more than solid.
But that is asking a lot for a 1st year player to play well for the remainder of the year and then finals.
Let's hope he is up to the task and actually gets better rather than dropping off as some young players often do.
Thought Fletcher looked very capable. Won his one-on-one's consistently and has some confidence. Think he has a next level.

Back