Review Round 15, 2023 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St.Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting seeing a few things on the post game shows. The first was great seeing Bundy in the rooms talking to a number of boys. The second which featured during BT doing his schtick talking to Jack Payne and his GF who said she lives in Melbourne and working with Jet Star. No idea if she is a Brissie girl or not but hope he's not wanting to leave anytime soon. The last was seeing ex-Lion Ben Robbins who is Saints club pyschologist and sits on the bench talking with the players as they come off the ground. Looked him up on LinkedIn and hes been there 3 years now - had no idea he was pych but good on him, was a pretty limited player if memory serves.

Payne’s partner is from Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing I have noticed in recent weeks with Eric is that he is starting to take marks with his hands out in front rather than trying to take chest marks all of the time.
Much more likely to win free kicks as well if his arms are outstretched.

Hipwood is currently up to equal 5th in total goal assists in the AFL (along with 6 other players including McCluggage). Already has more this season than any other season in his career.

As an aside, Bailey is currently 4th.
That 7 year deal starting to look better n better every game he steps up.

How good was Wilmots run up the wing!
The best part about this (and this wouldn't have been visible on the TV coverage) is that when he first got the ball he had absolutely nothing to go to ahead of him. For some 19 year olds, what he did could be considered showing off or "lairising", but this was none of that.

I reckon he was the first person in the entire stadium to sum up the situation and he handled it brilliantly. Rather than simply kick it up the middle to their numbers, he backed himself and executed perfectly. And by the time he reached the boundary we had targets ahead of him.

Even if he had turned it over by foot after that run, the ball would have been on our 50, near the boundary, and we'd had time to set up defensively. But even better, he found a target and we either took a mark or won a free kick.

Maturity, composure and game awareness beyond his years.

McCluggage's two goal assists were brilliant. Excellent vision and could not have hit those passes any better. Just needs to get a little more of it and hit the scoreboard himself.
Some players can hit a small target over 30 m away almost every time but can't consistently repeat the action when shooting for goals.

Hippy's last couple of games has me wondering about the flow on effect of having Gunston around as a teacher of how to lead and find space.

That Nathan Brown clip shows how Hipwood was more "Gunston aware". It felt like he was doing more decoy stuff taking his defender away leaving Gunston and Daniher to compete for the ball.

It's a different Hipwood now and I think he's relishing being the main man. He's delivering too so there is absolutely no reason to confuse things anymore, leave him be the focal point of the 2 prong attack and let him lead the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see a goals + goal assist ranking
eth-dog collates them for some of the main forwards in the AA discussion thread. Its seems to have a pretty good correlation to who will be a key forward in the final AA team.
Goals and assists round 15:

1. Tom Hawkins 52 (37/15)
2. Charlie Curnow 51 (42/9)
3. Taylor Walker 50 (43/7)/Toby Greene (36/14)
5. Jeremy Cameron 48 (39/9)
6. Nick Larkey 44 (39/5)
7. Charlie Cameron 42 (35/7)
8. Joe Daniher 41 (34/7)
9. Oscar Allen 40 (35/5)/Bayley Fritsch (29/11)
From what I can see Hipwood would be coming in about equal 9th (there might be others missing) with 40 combined (26 goals / 14 GA). 14 GA is actually really impressive and is only behind Hawkins for tall forwards

eth-dog collates them for some of the main forwards in the AA discussion thread. Its seems to have a pretty good correlation to who will be a key forward in the final AA team.

From what I can see Hipwood would be coming in about equal 9th (there might be others missing) with 40 combined (26 goals / 14 GA). 14 GA is actually really impressive and is only behind Hawkins for tall forwards
Just waiting for the Richmond fans to come abuse me for it.

I think it's too try to get Joe fired up. Works really well sometimes, others meh.
It's also to give Oscar a break. The win is Oscar get's a 5 minute break and we don't need to carry a dedicated second ruck.

The penalty is if Joe leaks goals when he has his ruck stint... like the horrible effort when he didn't even get some body contact, and it was taken directly from the ruck to a St Kilda goal in about 6 seconds. If Joe can avoid that, at least get some body contact, then I think it's a win for the team.

It's also to give Oscar a break. The win is Oscar get's a 5 minute break and we don't need to carry a dedicated second ruck.

The penalty is if Joe leaks goals when he has his ruck stint... like the horrible effort when he didn't even get some body contact, and it was taken directly from the ruck to a St Kilda goal in about 6 seconds. If Joe can avoid that, at least get some body contact, then I think it's a win for the team.

Yep, Daniher just needs to compete and halve the contest - we'll be fine bringing other groundball players into picture. He has done it before and looked pretty decent few rounds back. Just needs to be get back into that playing mode.

I ended up enjoying the game. Loved the way we went about it. I know I critisize him a fair bit but Oscar was great in the marking contests when he knew he had the mismatch, I wish I could say the same thing about when he had the mismatch in the ruck. He did the right thing taking the ball out of the ruck etc, but then blazing away and giving the ball back to the oppo was infuriating. In that situation, either the mids need to run past for a handball or he needs to make sure he hits a target. There was no point in giving straight back to the Saints.
I thought we made some really good changes in how we approached our i50s by looking for targets and trying to move the their defence so we could get a player in space.
Payne was brilliant, he and Andrews are making a great team.
I don't think we drop Fletcher unless his form warrants a run in the two's, he is playing much better than I thought he would and he is only going to get better.
I don't think Fort as the sub was a good move, I get why we do it but I don't think we need to. With Zorko presumably coming back this week I would either make him or Kai the sub.
I have long been a fan of us dropping to a 2 man tall forward line and I think there was some improvement in the way our forward line operated because of that.

Harris's intercept marks:smallfooty::hearts:.When in form he is if not the best one of the top few interceptors in the competition.

I love Harris but I just always think he would be amongst the best defenders ever if he was a bit more athletic. His footy IQ is off the charts, he has great skills for a guy his size, the only thing he lacks is a bit of speed and jump, which he makes up for with his IQ and go go gadget arms.

Bailey's tackling technique is absolutely woeful, hope that he spends more time on it if he wants to be a midfield/high half forward.
I would prefer Bailey played a 80small fwd/20mid role, IMO he is an elite small, Charlie and Zac forward is elite attacking talent and defensive pressure.

Back