Autopsy Round 15: Brisbane 42-34 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Buckley really say Phillips is a big loss?

If true, that’s all that needs to be said isn’t it? Sums up our coach in one sentence.

An inform Phillips is a big loss. For whatever reason, he’s not that player at the moment.

Andrews gets injuried

logical person with functioning brain: Awesome, let’s isolate Cox inside 50 now that their next tallest defender is only 6’2”

Luke Hodge: Hey Sando, you think you might isolate Cox now and expose the mismatch?

Collingwood coaching box: Hur dur we put Moore forward

They’d already lost Fullarton and moved McStay to defense so either Moore or Roughy didn’t have an opponent down back. Bucks was likely regretting naming Maxy over someone like Ruscoe as HA limped off, some extra run would have been handy.

Bear in mind that the Lions only kicked six goals for the night.They always kick badly so you can’t use that as an excuse for them.Of the five goals they kicked in the second quarter four of them came from basic skill errors from our players.Tyler Brown kicking it straight to one of their players,Roughead handballing to their players in front of goals,Phillips handballing to their players in the middle under no pressure,Crisp handballing it straight to one of their
players as well.They basically only kicked two goals on their own merits.We just handed them the game rather than them winning it in their own right.
So your point is what? Next time we won't make mistakes and we will beat them? We lost and we did so convincingly. There is no reason why we will not do much the same again. They smashed us with 5 goals in one quarter and we butchered almost every delivery into the forward 50 and our forwards were also unimpressive. We will not finish top 4 and our chances of premiership success this year have been significantly affected by this loss. Let's not forget we had momentum going into this game generated from our second half against the Blues and felt we were once again re surging as a team. Instead we were soundly defeated. I wish I could see the silver lining to the cloud but I can't.

I find it funny how Cox is probably our best set shot at goal 🤣
It says alot about our forward line!

Cox is always the last player off the track according to those who regularly watch training. Stays out there practicing his set shot routine.

Cox he’s the one we really need to show some American swagger, where is the Cox that pulled apart Richmond. He really needs to crash a few packs and make a few people hurt, make them think twice about blocking his run or getting in his way. Get suspended give a way a free. Much better than not competing and waiting for the umpire to blow a free.

Teams seem to have perfected the process of getting a defender between a forward and the incoming footy allowing a team mate to take what all too often ends up being an uncontested mark. Not just against Cox, it’s league wide. I’m not sure why forwards aren’t shoving the defender with force into their team mate. If it’s going to be a turnover anyway then at least send the message to the defender what will happen whenever he does that.

I mean Fasolo and Davis aren’t exactly the hardest players to ever play the game...

Didak. Not every player needs to play like Tuddy

Leon routinely disappeared when it mattered in the finals, which combined with his elite skill made him either jaw-dropping or maddening

Leon’s finals performances are overly criticised off the back of a couple of very quiet GFs when his overall finals record was pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blah blah blah Phillips, Blah blah blah Thomas, Blah blah blah Cox, Blah Blah blah Stephenson, Blah Blah Blah WHE......but when you guys start hanging stuff on Grundy and Mihocek....just stop!

These blokes have been warriors. They both have carried us at times over the past three seasons. Ones been AA and B&F whilst the others been our leading goalkicker despite never having been a forward before 2018 in his life!

Checkers might have dropped a couple of marks in the last two games, but he got HIT BY A TRUCK a couple of weeks ago...remember?
Grundy has been carrying an injury and its probably only his stubbornness and competitive nature that's seen him continue from about round 3-4. He's playing with one arm tied behind his back.

So keep on whinging....and keep on blaming, water off a ducks back....except where these two are concerned. These two are warriors.
Any idea if Mihocek wears contact lenses? With contact lenses it is sometimes difficult at night to judge depth perception when trying to mark

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So your point is what? Next time we won't make mistakes and we will beat them? We lost and we did so convincingly. There is no reason why we will not do much the same again. They smashed us with 5 goals in one quarter and we butchered almost every delivery into the forward 50 and our forwards were also unimpressive. We will not finish top 4 and our chances of premiership success this year have been significantly affected by this loss. Let's not forget we had momentum going into this game generated from our second half against the Blues and felt we were once again re surging as a team. Instead we were soundly defeated. I wish I could see the silver lining to the cloud but I can't.
With five quality players coming in and the likes of Phillips out,yes i absolutely think we can beat them.Basically they only won one quarter mainly through our mistakes,and struggled to score for the rest of the game.In fact outside that second quarter they only kicked one goal for the rest of the match..I just don’t think they’re that good and we could easily beat them with a better team on the field.Richmond and West Coast are a different matter however,as I believe they are a class above The Lions and Port Adelaide for that matter.

Just for those calling Phillips soft, a marshmallow and afraid. We all get upset after a loss and yes, players sometimes hesitate. Most players have moments they wish they could have again. That doesn't mean they are afraid or gutless. They're human.

People mistake his predilection for space as a lack of courage but I’ve never thought he lacked courage.

Teams seem to have perfected the process of getting a defender between a forward and the incoming footy allowing a team mate to take what all too often ends up being an uncontested mark. Not just against Cox, it’s league wide. I’m not sure why forwards aren’t shoving the defender with force into their team mate. If it’s going to be a turnover anyway then at least send the message to the defender what will happen whenever he does that.

This is what the Richmond forwards do, and they get away with it.

With Grundy I agree. Should be he and the match committee take the bit between their teeth and rest him?

Who knows what the injury is and if rest would actually fix it or if it’s something that only surgery will fix?

With five quality players coming in and the likes of Phillips out,yes i absolutely think we can beat them.Basically they only won one quarter mainly through our mistakes,and struggled to score for the rest of the game.In fact outside that second quarter they only kicked one goal for the rest of the match..I just don’t think they’re that good and we could easily beat them with a better team on the field.Richmond and West Coast are a different matter however,as I believe they are a class above The Lions and Port Adelaide for that matter.
There is no guarantee we will be able to field a better team. You say we have 5 quality players coming in. Are they all coming in? Are they coming in with time to build up physically and psychologically to the pressure and speed of final's football? Will we lose any other players while waiting and hoping for the 5 to return?

Maybe we can beat Brisbane next time but then what? Realistically we need so many factors and players to fall into place at the right time for us to finish the finals in the top 4 teams. By when does Sidebottom have to reach the hub to qualify to play again this year? What are Howe, Treloar and Sier's chances of playing again this year? De Goey seems the only player of that group fairly certain to be available for finals' football.

There is no guarantee we will be able to field a better team. You say we have 5 quality players coming in. Are they all coming in? Are they coming in with time to build up physically and psychologically to the pressure and speed of final's football? Will we lose any other players while waiting and hoping for the 5 to return?

Maybe we can beat Brisbane next time but then what? Realistically we need so many factors and players to fall into place at the right time for us to finish the finals in the top 4 teams. By when does Sidebottom have to reach the hub to qualify to play again this year? What are Howe, Treloar and Sier's chances of playing again this year? De Goey seems the only player of that group fairly certain to be available for finals' football.
The stars just have not aligned for us this year.

His not your average 200cm player, worth trying I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did a couple of things forward but in hindsight I think we would have been better off playing somewhere like wing in that last quarter.

No love for Maynard, our best player in the eyes of many last night?

Thought he was well below what he’s delivering this year. That corky severely impacted his run.

Thought he was well below what he’s delivering this year. That corky severely impacted his run.
He was seriously impacted by that corky, though it's no fault of his that we lost. We had some good players and others that showed they will be valuable contributors in the future - Crisp, Noble, Madgen, Moore, Elliott, Quaynor, Pendlebury and Daicos gave us some drive and class and Tyler Brown showed promise for next year.

In a game that had ramifications and implications to play finals, Collingwood squandered a huge opportunity to qualify for the 2020 Finals Series to fall narrowly short against the Brisbane Lions by 8 points. The Magpies had periods of control throughout the night, but failed to maximise any dominance that it gained when they had possession. The Lions had two rotations to play with in the last quarter, yet the Woods could not exploit that factor to their advantage, and paid the price for it in the process. Cohesion from Collingwood's forwards was severely lacking, while the Lions found enough time and space for their forwards to take marks or score simple goals. That was the game in a nutshell.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from disposals by +43 (329 - 286), handballs were won by +53 (160 - 107), while contested possessions had a margin of +22 (135 - 113), and uncontested possessions were +21 (199 - 178). Hit-outs had a differential of +10 (31 - 21), Contested Marks were +6 (11 - 5), Tackles Inside 50 were won by +9 (14 - 5), and Inside 50s had a differential of +8 (41 - 33). Brisbane got their ascendancies from kicks by +10 (179 - 169), marks were +7 (82 - 75), with uncontested marks won by +13 (77 - 64), +3 for Marks Inside 50 (8 - 5), and intercept possessions had a differential of +1 (64 - 63). Clearances (29 each), centre clearances (7 apiece), stoppage clearances (22 all), and tackles (all square at 57) were all evenly split.

Scott Pendlebury (29 disposals @ 66%, 548 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 12 handballs, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 8 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was the only midfielder that threatened to win the game for the Woods. There was not much more he could've done to turn the game when the points were on the line and for the taking. Heavy reliance on Pendlebury took its toll on the team, and it was evident.

Josh Daicos (25 disposals @ 68%, 471 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks, 4 score involvements, 6 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) played solidly, without dominating the game as he would've liked.

Taylor Adams (23 disposals @ 65%, 322 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 13 handballs, 3 marks, 7 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances & 3 Inside 50s) was below par for a player of his standards. Won enough disposals, but clearance and score involvement numbers were inadequate and abysmal, which was very disappointing. Expect a response from you after the bye, Taylor. Clear the way forward in your next game by taking control and impacting the contest as you've done for the bulk of 2020.

Jack Crisp (30 disposals @ 67%, 438 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 14 handballs, 8 marks, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) provided plenty of drive off half-back, and was immense with his ability to thwart attacking entries at will.

John Noble (23 disposals @ 87%, 218 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) showed his flair once again to use the ball effectively, aside from a couple of handpasses that subsequently resulted in goals to the Lions.

Jack Madgen (19 disposals @ 84%, 138 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 10 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles & 5 Rebound 50s) is proving that he can play at AFL level with a high level of comfort and confidence that he has displayed in recent weeks.

Brayden Maynard (14 disposals @ 71%, 190 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 2 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) was very subdued, but showed aggression when he had the chance with and without the footy in his hands.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (16 disposals @ 81%, 135 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 11 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements & 3 Inside 50s) provided an outlet on the wing again with his marking game. I believe Hoskin-Elliott is pushing up a bit too high up the ground, as he would be of better value closer to goal. Look to create or kick goals from your marks, Will.

Callum Brown (14 disposals @ 64%, 225 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) worked hard in attack with his tackling pressure being a hallmark of his game. Ball use was a problem, and needs to corrected so that he can keep his spot.

Brody Mihocek (7 disposals @ 57%, 209 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) kicked an early goal, before drifting out of the game. Dropped an absolute soda in the goal square during the last quarter, which ultimately denied the Woods any meaningful chance of having the wood over the Lions.

Mason Cox (7 disposals @ 100%, 5 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 2 goals) managed to eke out a couple of goals that kept Collingwood in touch, but poor ball use prevented him from being a viable target for the entire game.

Collingwood's next game will be against Gold Coast on September 14 at the Gabba. Finals implications on the line for the Woods. Now or never in this game, and the biggest conundrum for the Magpies is having a cohesive group of forwards that are able to take marks, win the ball at ground level, and most importantly, convert goals. Now's the time to ensure the Suns do not rise above the horizon at night and burn them off after the sun has set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back