Preview Round 15: Changes v Carlton

Which players will we describe as being 'really close' when they are not selected this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

When did I say anything about Cripps ? He isn't the best kick going around, but our midfielders aren't so similar, our key mids all offer something different and have a different game.
Murphy Gibbs and SPS are all very good with ball in hand and can hit the scoreboard regularly, it's all about trying to find that right blend of contested ball winners, classy ball uses and leg speed.

I thought that too but looking at CD stats Atkins Knight and Milera have our midfielders best kicking efficiency % Atkins at 63.2 and Knight & Milera 73.3% the rest of our mids (apart from Sloane at 60%) kick at low 50%
And so they should, they're all outside mids in the main.

Was actually just having a quick look at the stats from the game and Laird is recorded as having DE =87% from 28 touches, but with 7 turnovers. If a full quarter of his touches were turnovers, how is his DE so high... am I missing something? Anyone?

I'm really not sure how they work out DE, even Atkins was listed as having 28 possessions 21 kicks 7 handballs @57%DE with 12 turnovers :huh:, never put that much stock in DE%, think the eye test can tell you way more, I can definitely tell when a player is regularly coughing up the footy and making poor decisions under very little pressure, I've seen enough of it over the last few years at my own club.

I would drop;

Jacobs
Kelly
Ottens
Beech
Douglas

And I'd consider dropping Charlie and one of Atkins/Smith.

We need to make sweeping changes NOW - we can salvage this season if we have the courage to do so.

But we probably don't - so it'll be another wasted season, where we go close, but it just slips through our fingers; yet again.

I can't believe I'm seriously worried we will lose to Carlton at this rate. Pyke is probably our worst coach since Shaw!

Out: Beech (no where near good enough), Otten (probably cost us 3-4 goals on the weekend), Kelly (spoiling his own team mates and kicking backwards at every opportunity), Hartigan (incapable of showing any composure), Douglas (not doing enough with the ball)
In: McGovern (ridiculous he didn't play), Menzel, Doedee (we can't wait any longer), Keath (potential gun ala Greenwood don't wait too long), Seedsman (need him in)

Rockets also need to be sent to the following about their recent performance:

Talia, Cameron, Lynch, Smith, B.Crouch (zero intensity), Sloane (needs to learn to deal with a tag and do something different to get the ball), Atkins.. what the hell Rory, Betts.. needs to lift.

Brown ~ Keath ~ Lever
Laird ~ Talia ~ Doedee
Smith ~ Sloane ~ Seedsman
Jacobs ~ M.Crouch ~ Greenwood
Lynch ~ Walker ~ Cameron
Betts ~ Jenkins ~ McGovern
Milera ~ Atkins ~ B.Crouch
Menzel

Caller on 5aa right now is spot on.

Thommo has to come in, with one of the main roles being to protect Sloane.
Campo hasn't shown much interest in using anyone to protect Sloane, so why would he suddenly decide to do it now?

If they pick Thommo I doubt it'll be to help Sloane but with the expectation that he picks up the extra work Sloane isn't doing in the middle.

Especially give the amount of F50's we had and many of these were to good areas, just Otten couldn't get to the right position due to his lack of pace. At least Gov would've made a contest and if it was brought to ground would've made it a little harder for the Hawks to clear it.

Otten had plenty of ball directed his way but he wzs just really bad. He'd been ok prior, but was absolutely woeful on Thursday night. Him or JJ must go.

There will be an over correction with the aggression and we will give away silly frees against Carlton.
The thing is I think we tried to address it this week. Early they seemed to be on edge, occasional push and shove off the ball etc.

Problem was...
1. It completely wore off fast
2. When we looked like we were trying to we (a) we're completely ineffective in implementing it and (b) it distracted us from our game and a number of times we looked as if we second guessed if we try make body contact or hunt the ball 1st and ended up being in the middle and doing neither

The problem is Thommo is an inside mid only, it is our outside mids that are causing concern our 3 best players on Thursday are the only player Thommo could replace. in Matt and Brad Crouch, Greenwood or Sloane, he cannot play any other position.
Also, I Have not seen Thommo play the enforcer role effectively.
And to be Honest Elite Players work thru tags

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That caller was a complete moron. Thommo just gets brushed past. Perhaps watch a few games round 7 onwards last year. We'd be significantly worse with Thommo and Sloane would be no better protected. Thinking Thommo can do anything but have the ball directed to him is pretty stupid. His old body has given up the ghost. Can't even crack 30 in the SANFL as a full time stoppage mid. We keep 20 year olds at that level for months even when averaging mid 30's. He's finished and a liability at both levels. Just costing valuable midfiekd development time these days.

The problem is Thommo is an inside mid only, it is our outside mids that are causing concern our 3 best players on Thursday are the only player Thommo could replace. in Matt and Brad Crouch, Greenwood or Sloane, he cannot play any other position.
Also, I Have not seen Thommo play the enforcer role effectively.
And to be Honest Elite Players work thru tags

Then he should play move Sloane to an outside mid he is doing nothing inside Carlton have the best tagger in the game ATM Sloane is screwed or is this the week he learns how to play with a tag

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing is I think we tried to address it this week. Early they seemed to be on edge, occasional push and shove off the ball etc.

Problem was...
1. It completely wore off fast
2. When we looked like we were trying to we (a) we're completely ineffective in implementing it and (b) it distracted us from our game and a number of times we looked as if we second guessed if we try make body contact or hunt the ball 1st and ended up being in the middle and doing neither
Something that's not natural to them but forced.

Out: Jenkins, Douglas, Kelly, smith, brown (ink)

In: mcg, doedee, knight, cheney, poholke
I think we need a big wake up call selection. Minimum chips of 5 changes. And 1 or 2 golden tickets to be revoked.

I would keep JJ in though. I think he's unfairly maligned and again was our best big forward against the Hawks (compared to Walker and Otten)

Then he should play move Sloane to an outside mid he is doing nothing inside Carlton have the best tagger in the game ATM Sloane is screwed or is this the week he learns how to play with a tag

To be Honest this week we need to see something from Sloane,
One thing in his favour they have been move to defence for long periods, unfortunately Liard did not take advantage of the move on Thursday

We used to complain that no one did anything to help Dangerfield when he was being tagged, which was when Thommo was there.

Thommo was a great player but he wasn't a teamwork player. He was out there to win as much of the footy as he could.

We used to complain that no one did anything to help Dangerfield when he was being tagged, which was when Thommo was there.

Thommo was a great player but he wasn't a teamwork player. He was out there to win as much of the footy as he could.

This call of protecting Sloane is ridiculous we as supporters will be critical of a player getting 15 to 20 possessions whilst he was spending his time trying to look after someone

Players have their own games they can't and will not sacrifice them unless it is to go head to head with the oppositions best

I can't believe I'm seriously worried we will lose to Carlton at this rate. Pyke is probably our worst coach since Shaw!
??
Out: Beech (no where near good enough), Otten (probably cost us 3-4 goals on the weekend), Kelly (spoiling his own team mates and kicking backwards at every opportunity), Hartigan (incapable of showing any composure), Douglas (not doing enough with the ball)
In: McGovern (ridiculous he didn't play), Menzel, Doedee (we can't wait any longer), Keath (potential gun ala Greenwood don't wait too long), Seedsman (need him in)

Rockets also need to be sent to the following about their recent performance:

Talia, Cameron, Lynch, Smith, B.Crouch (zero intensity), Sloane (needs to learn to deal with a tag and do something different to get the ball), Atkins.. what the hell Rory, Betts.. needs to lift.

Brown ~ Keath ~ Lever
Laird ~ Talia ~ Doedee
Smith ~ Sloane ~ Seedsman
Jacobs ~ M.Crouch ~ Greenwood
Lynch ~ Walker ~ Cameron
Betts ~ Jenkins ~ McGovern
Milera ~ Atkins ~ B.Crouch
Menzel

Sanderson was far worse than Pyke. Was clueless on game day, with his game plan, with selection, with development and with skills training.

Back