Preview Round 15: Changes v Carlton

Which players will we describe as being 'really close' when they are not selected this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I fully expect to see Mackay in for Beech. Bigfooty will implode.

There will clearly be three changes this week which is a lot for Pyke to make

The team ATM is purely Vanilla it needs some tougher players forget young kids who are going to get knocked off the ball we need stronger bodies

Some existing players need to toughen up , we need the old tex back, JJ needs to play like Tarzan not Jane, harto and Talia needs to toughen up. Both crouches need to toughen up, Douglass has a strong body use it

We were as soft as butter Thursday night and if someone gives me stats if contests they obviously didn't watch the game. And after I watched Melbourne last night they are a fantastic unsociable side

I would give my left nut to have a player like Viney in the team then Bernie has been turned into an aggressor then to have Gawn with those two in the mid no wonder Oliver isn't afraid

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a lot of people on hear sounding as bad as our selection committee in regards to Beech. That was his first 2 games of footy ever. One was very solid the other not so, but no where near as poor as some of our players that have been at the club longer. Give the kid an actual run then make a proper judgment.

My prediction, not my desire is:

OUT: Beech, Brown.
In: Dmac, Thompson.
Possibly ROB in for Cameron to shore up our aerial dominance in the forward arc.

Sloane to HFF to help break this tagging issue.
Dmac to lockdown pocket role and Thommo straight into the guts in a mentoring role.

My prediction, not my desire is:

OUT: Beech, Brown.
In: Dmac, Thompson.
Possibly ROB in for Cameron to shore up our aerial dominance in the forward arc.

Sloane to HFF to help break this tagging issue.
Dmac to lockdown pocket role and Thommo straight into the guts in a mentoring role.

Or that could do something just as silly and bring in Gooch Sig and Doedee and make us even softer than we already are god help us when we play an aggressive team like Melbourne

There will clearly be three changes this week which is a lot for Pyke to make

The team ATM is purely Vanilla it needs some tougher players forget young kids who are going to get knocked off the ball we need stronger bodies

Nah - it's not about body size, it's about intent.

Vince isn't a big guy, and he didn't suddenly put on a ton of muscle at Melbourne - but he's playing with intent.

You suggest bringing in the stronger bodies of the older players; let me ask you this - are those very same players not the ones responsible for the soft, unconfrontational nature of our playing group?

Are they not the ones who have had 200 games to set the tone and do this?

They're the guys who have been part of that culture of passiveness that has become part of the Club.

Mackay, Douglas, Thommo, VB - not a single one of them plays, or played, with any intent or aggression; or ever has. Strong bodies don't mean s**t if you don't use them.

Vince isn't a big guy, and he didn't suddenly put on a ton of muscle at Melbourne - but he's playing with intent.

You suggest bringing in the stronger bodies of the older players; let me ask you this - are those very same players not the ones responsible for the soft, unconfrontational nature of our playing group?

They're the guys who have been part of that culture of passiveness that has become part of the Club.

Mackay, Douglas, Thommo, VB - not a single one of them plays, or played, with any intent or aggression; or ever has. Strong bodies don't mean s**t if you don't use them.

I know the ultimate player who is built like Tarzan and plays like Jane is our very own JJ

I know the ultimate player who is built like Tarzan and plays like Jane is our very own JJ

Absolutely - which proves my point.

Our senior players aren't the answer; they're the problem - they're the ones who have helped build this culture of softness into our team.

Guys like Crouch, Atkins, Tex and Cameron come in and start playing with a bit of niggle and hostility; in a year or two, we've beaten it out of them.

Bringing the old guard back who have never played the one you want them to, would achieve nothing.

I'm hearing McGovern is really close. One or two more games in the dribblers. Then he'll need a month out with general soreness/tweaked hammy. Then a few more games in the dribblers because he can't come straight back after that sort of injury.

We will have him cherry ripe for Round 1, 2018. It won't be for us, but rest assured, he'll be cherry ripe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, if you just bear with me, I have a DVD that can demonstrate what real toughness is.

Did you go to the game?, sounded like the Sig had a pretty good game, at least the commentators on several occasions commented they liked the way he moved today especially his turn of pace.
At this time I have Sig in the Jarman category, good Footballers light in Body both will play AFL, He is quick and more importantly quick in his first couple of steps. Surprisingly quick, 1 passage of play he had the ball in a pack with I think Schiller on his 6 and next he is 3m in clear space. looked very clean with the ball. a few rookie mistakes, his next level would be to impose himself more into the game but I am being harsh.
at 186 when he beefs up he going to be good.

Can he actually play? Is he available for selection?
He is a footballer, 5th best on Sat but for mine a bit light for AFL I have to agree with his Dad on this he may need a couple preseasons, He can play needs to be upgraded if they play him, But we need to remember the start of the year he was to Smallest and Lightest player on the list. 174 @ 69

I'm hearing McGovern is really close. One or two more games in the dribblers. Then he'll need a month out with general soreness/tweaked hammy. Then a few more games in the dribblers because he can't come straight back after that sort of injury.

We will have him cherry ripe for Round 1, 2018. It won't be for us, but rest assured, he'll be cherry ripe.
I actually don't mind our cautious approach with McGovern.

McGovern and Max Gawn both had bad hamstring injuries in Round 3.

Melbourne panicked and rushed Gawn straight back in to lead their rucks this week and it was an unmitigated disaster for them. We gave Mitch another run in the reserves and have come up trumps again. Vindication.

We just must speed up our team, which should get us back to the quick ball movement, better structures & will allow more midfield rotations too. Team balance must be restored, as I don't want to see players like Lynch being played out of position, because we have too many talls.

Gov, Knight & Seedsman must come in, with Otten (or Hartigan) & Beech amongst the outs.

Ins - Outs
McGovern - Otten/Hartigan
Menzel/Doedee - Beech
Knight - Atkins
Seedsman - Brown/Kelly (depending on injury)

After the SANFL yesterday

Out:
Otten, Beech, Kelly, Douglas, Brown (injured)
In: McGovern, Knight, Seedsman, Doedee, Gallucci

B Laird - Talia - Lever
HB Smith - Hartigan - Seedsman
C Cameron - Greenwood - Sloane
HF Knight - Walker - Lynch
F Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
R Jacobs - B. Crouch - M. Crouch

I Atkins - Doedee - Gallucci - Milera

Starting center square of B. Crouch, M. Crouch and Greenwood with Cameron and Sloane on the wings.

We just must speed up our team, which should get us back to the quick ball movement, better structures & will allow more midfield rotations too. Team balance must be restored, as I don't want to see players like Lynch being played out of position, because we have too many talls.

Gov, Knight & Seedsman must come in, with Otten (or Hartigan) & Beech amongst the outs.

Ins - Outs
McGovern - Otten/Hartigan
Menzel/Doedee - Beech
Knight - Atkins
Seedsman - Brown/Kelly (depending on injury)

I know this is nit picking,
But I would swap Seedsman and Doedee around
bring Doedee in for Brown, Doedee can play small, mid defender, with some run. Or Cheney but would prefer the younger player at this time.
Seedsman in for Beech. Along with Smith can play the wing, HB with ease.
Gov for Otten, adds pace and more defensive pressure.
Knight may be in for Milera, Knee bruising.
And one for Latter if Hartigan does not lift his game then Keath upgraded

I saw JJ knock down Hodge and snap a goal.
Your man for tough times Otten was too soft to get in the correct position to take a grab.

Otten needs to be dropped after his effort I don't play favs unlike the board that has their untouchables

JJ is going ok but still is soft

Cheney is my must in and although Gov doesn't deserve a spot after his effort we are very thin on the ground with performances in the twos unless people think Mackay should get a crack

Back