Preview Round 15: Changes v Carlton

Which players will we describe as being 'really close' when they are not selected this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I mentioned this 6 weeks ago. We are good at general stoppages but poor at centre clearances. The stats are even worse when you compare centre clearances that result in a subsequent possession outside the centre square. Our centre clearances are often quick kicks to the opposition's loose man.

IMHO the first step is to get Dougie out of the centre square and use THE MIGHTY THOR at the start of every quarter.

Maybe its just showing our lack of class in the midfield, at centre clearances we have a 3 on 3 where our opposition can expose us, with our general stoppages we can put as many numbers as we want around the contest. Maybe our midfield coach can also be exposed in the centre clearances.

Maybe its just showing our lack of class in the midfield, at centre clearances we have a 3 on 3 where our opposition can expose us, with our general stoppages we can put as many numbers as we want around the contest. Maybe our midfield coach can also be exposed in the centre clearances.

Which is pretty well known to anyone who watches the games, and has perspective.

Sadly, that rules out everyone inside the club bubble, who have fast become the alternative Richmond with their vast overrating and misinterpretation of everything, and everyone.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
[QUOTE) ="Doctor B, post: 50999072, member: 159465"]Maybe its just showing our lack of class in the midfield, at centre clearances we have a 3 on 3 where our opposition can expose us, with our general stoppages we can put as many numbers as we want around the contest. Maybe our midfield coach can also be exposed in the centre clearances.[/QUOTE]
I agree that this is part of the problem. Another issue is that Sauce is a much better around the ground ruckman, he gets killed by high leaping ruckman in the centre square. We also fumble too much (looking at you Dougie) and the Crouches and Dougie lack defensive action when we lose the clearance. This is one of the advantages of TMT, if he doesn't win the clearance he puts pressure on their mids. Sloaney is also a veey good defensive mid.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
If we're going to concede the ruck, then put Keath or someone in it - who might actually do some damage.

Our use of Jacobs as a link man is a negative, not a positive :p
Hes been alright in that role, in fact his game as a whole has been great bar his work in the square.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Back on topic, IMHO we have 18-19 players who are in our best 22 when fit.
Forwards - Betts, Jenkins, McGovern, Cameron, Walker and Lynch
Midfield - Atkins, Sloane, Milera, Jacobs, Crouch and Crouch
Defence - Brown, Hartigan, Lever, Smith, Talia and Laird.
Number 19 is Douglas who may or may not fit in this category.

One of the remaining four positions go to a medium sized defender. Currently Kelly but Cheney, Seedsman, Doedee, Dougas or BNM could play this role. My preference is Seedsman but if he isn't ready then I would play Douglas in this role (which would allow Laird and Smith to have more midfield minutes).

That leaves three midfield/forward spots. My preference is for TMT (by moving Dougie into defence he can play purely as an inside mid), Knight and Seedsman but Thommo, BNM, Wigg, Gore, Gallucci, Poholke and Menzel are all in the mix.

So my preference (will not happen) is

Out - Otten, Kelly

In - McGovern, Knight

We then bring in The SEED when he is ready for either Beech or Douglas however I would not be unhappy if Cheney, Seedsman, Doedee, Wigg, Gallucci, Poholke or Gore get the nod.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Must be a Vader?

e5c.jpg

Or indeed a "not even present" hominem?

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Seedsman a chance this week? or does he need 1 more week in the sanfl?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Seedsman a chance this week? or does he need 1 more week in the sanfl?
After watching him against Norwood and from the fact he had 19 touches in the first half and only 7-8 in the second on the weekend, it would make me guess he still needs another couple of weeks to get some fitness back.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
we'll never win a premiership with douglas and dmac in our 22, so its pointless playing them.
but it wont change as long as campo is still there
I've been a fan of Dougie, but it just feels like he has absolutely zero hurt factor left in him anymore. Combine that with the Crouches and Sloane being tagged and it's left our midfield looking very impotent.

I've been a fan of Dougie, but it just feels like he has absolutely zero hurt factor left in him anymore. Combine that with the Crouches and Sloane being tagged and it's left our midfield looking very impotent.

He's looked at his best this year when playing as an unaccountable half back crossed with a loose checking small defender. So he's following the Reilly/Van Berlo path.

Cockwomble

All Australian
May 3, 2016
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whyalla under 9's
Would it be worth swapping Keath for Harto? How do they match up skills, speed, decisions etc. I cant get to the sanfl to really know. I guess if Brown is an out it would mean a double change, can't see that happening just quietly.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
He's looked at his best this year when playing as an unaccountable half back crossed with a loose checking small defender. So he's following the Reilly/Van Berlo path.
100% correct. Has he had any more than fleeting glimpses of decency in the midfield in the past 11 rounds?

Yeah, he's won some clearances but in the end has zero hurt factor.

We already have the Crouch's for clearance winning, plus Sloane and Greenwood.

Midfield needs more zip, creativity, variety. Players who can receive in right then bust away. Players like Cameron, Atkins and BRODIE SMITH should be rotating through. (Milera, Seed rotate wings but not midfield).

Add in Laird as an 8th option if the actual ball accumulators aren't finding it and there's our midfield.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would it be worth swapping Keath for Harto? How do they match up skills, speed, decisions etc. I cant get to the sanfl to really know. I guess if Brown is an out it would mean a double change, can't see that happening just quietly.

Impossible to compare, Keath is playing OK against a bunch of amatuers and Harto has had good and bad games against superstars, he beat Robbie Gray earlier this year, how do you rate Gray

How about we swap him with Smith then.

Back