Round 15: Changes vs Carlton + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would just like to say (cos I’m a show-off... well not really, but when I’m REALLY right about something... then - ), when most were calling for Matera’s head on a platter, I was one of a few who were advocating for him. Play him in his right position, I said; play him forward, I said; and he will kick goals.

And now? He’s gunning it. Is there anyone who would say “drop him” now? Nah, thought not.

Forza Matera!

I backed Matera as well but come on the idea that he wasn't playing forward last year is a myth. Pushing up the ground is not unusual for small forwards to push up the ground. Matera in fact does the same thing this year. The difference is last year he was out of shape and could not push hard back towards goals like he can this year. He was in terrible shape

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah true, but last year he played a lot more up the ground, wing, even half-back at times, rather than predominantly forward as he does now.

Yeah, last year he was my main target of a bad game. His field kicking was and still is poor, but always pretty good in front of goal. Just had to play up the ground more due to us being so bad.

Now hes been near goal all year he’s been great. I thought best game in purple for us against melb.
Was creative with disposal, stuck his tackles, took his chances.

beelzebob

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sometimes we get carried away and forget Ross Lyon is our coach and only goes with the same players

hill, hogan out
mccrafty, cerra in

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Sometimes we get carried away and forget Ross Lyon is our coach and only goes with the same players

hill, hogan out
mccrafty, cerra in
To be fair though, those are realistically our best options at the moment, can't think of any others that could take their positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
SHill was a long way from his best, so he isn't a major loss from a game perspective, while he is potentially a big loss from the season perspective because his best is elite. But in terms of replacing him from the side in the last two games we do have several options. Cerra, Banfield, North, Nyhuis among them. I would be happy with any of them, but lean towards Banfield or Nyhuis as the best performed wafl players, as well as both having a defensive edge about them.

Hogan is a major structural cog for us and we don't have options that scream out as decent choices. For me it is McCarthy or Jones, and I don't love either, but Jones and Cox in the same forward line looks terrible to me. Default to McCarthy.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Dixon is as far away from a debut as Trump is from mensa unfortunately.

great line, Cesoir :thumbsu:

For those who are advocating specific matchups for our backs, I was doing the same thing until recently, however, what has become apparent is that Hamling will play as the deepest defender, especially against tall players, so it will be their positioning which dictates our matchups.
i've loved Logue's return.
For those advocating dropping Tucker, I'll disagree with you, with the reasoning that he is one of our better users of the ball into the 50. Twice in the first quarter, my mate & I commented on excellent kicks by him to our advantage. After a brilliant opening game, he has steadily declined in my opinion, up to a horror game against port power, but bounced back somewhat. Perhaps he is the one to tag Cripps? He is a lump of a lad, nowhere near Cripps, but not many are.
Also, Switkowski was very good for us on Saturday. I'm not sure if it showed on tv, but live, his pressure work was excellent. I believe the 3 small forwards provide a nice balance.

Out: Hogan, S Hill (both injured)
In: McCarthy, North (for a debut)

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
great line, Cesoir :thumbsu:

For those who are advocating specific matchups for our backs, I was doing the same thing until recently, however, what has become apparent is that Hamling will play as the deepest defender, especially against tall players, so it will be their positioning which dictates our matchups.
i've loved Logue's return.
For those advocating dropping Tucker, I'll disagree with you, with the reasoning that he is one of our better users of the ball into the 50. Twice in the first quarter, my mate & I commented on excellent kicks by him to our advantage. After a brilliant opening game, he has steadily declined in my opinion, up to a horror game against port power, but bounced back somewhat. Perhaps he is the one to tag Cripps? He is a lump of a lad, nowhere near Cripps, but not many are.
Also, Switkowski was very good for us on Saturday. I'm not sure if it showed on tv, but live, his pressure work was excellent. I believe the 3 small forwards provide a nice balance.

Out: Hogan, S Hill (both injured)
In: McCarthy, North (for a debut)
Agree with you on Switta, seeing him live on the weekend he is exceptionally quick when the ball is near him and he can sense a tackle. I was disappointed with Mundy's game needed him to get the pill and use it but didn't seem to do either. Not sure if he was more worried about Oliver instead..

Galapagoose

Debutant
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cox just has to go. He squirmed a few times on the weekend and just didn't present nearly enough. That squirm late in the last when we were only one goal behind was one of the worst efforts I have seen. If he tries to mark that ball and kicks the goal we are only 1 point behind and back in it.

If Ross got into Sheridan for squirming and said that he'd never play for Freo again I hope he has the balls to drop Cox.

Out = Hogan and Cox
In = Jones and Cerra

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Walters cops his week off, on top of Hogan and Hill, we are a legit risk of losing this game, unbelievable.
Interesting selection times ahead. I don't envy the committee. Schultz, Jones, Banfield and Nyhuis are all busting a gut to get back in but between them are such limited players. Against that you have your Cammac and Cox types that have more talent and piss us all off at the same time. Then finally there's the safe choices of Ballas and Colyer that are adding experience.
At this stage Cerra looks the only definite in to me. It will be fascinating to see the other calls, will tell us a fair bit I think.

Freeeoo

Club Legend
May 7, 2006
SOR
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Gooners
Cox just has to go. He squirmed a few times on the weekend and just didn't present nearly enough. That squirm late in the last when we were only one goal behind was one of the worst efforts I have seen. If he tries to mark that ball and kicks the goal we are only 1 point behind and back in it.

If Ross got into Sheridan for squirming and said that he'd never play for Freo again I hope he has the balls to drop Cox.

Out = Hogan and Cox
In = Jones and Cerra
You do know that Hill is out and also Walters at this stage has got a week off.

It's pretty obvious imo that Cerra and McCarthy come in.
Not sure if we've got a mid/forward that gets 25 and kicks 4 in the 2's to replace Sonny?
Maybe Colyer or Ballaz come in?

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
You do know that Hill is out and also Walters at this stage has got a week off.

It's pretty obvious imo that Cerra and McCarthy come in.
Not sure if we've got a mid/forward that gets 25 and kicks 4 in the 2's to replace Sonny?
Maybe Colyer or Ballaz come in?

Probably, if i had to guess it would be Colyer.

It's not the most popular opinion but I wouldn't mind seeing Crowden coming in for Sonny, he's been putting together strong WAFL form and it's time to see if he can offer anything or if he's destined for delistment. Obviously he's the infinitely inferior player but Sonny's mid/fwd role is the one that suits him best, on a wet track against a young team he just might go ok.

The 2 other changes pretty much take care of themselves, Cerra and Dards in for the injured guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back