Round 15: Changes vs Carlton + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably, if i had to guess it would be Colyer.

It's not the most popular opinion but I wouldn't mind seeing Crowden coming in for Sonny, he's been putting together strong WAFL form and it's time to see if he can offer anything or if he's destined for delistment. Obviously he's the infinitely inferior player but Sonny's mid/fwd role is the one that suits him best, on a wet track against a young team he just might go ok.

The 2 other changes pretty much take care of themselves, Cerra and Dards in for the injured guys.
Yeah good point, give Crowden the chance to prove himself.

If Walters one week
In: Cerra, McCarthy, Nyhuis,
Out: Hill, Hogan, Walters,
We are in big trouble here. Carlton will be up and about. Danger game all over it.

Nyhuis comes in, pushes one of Mundy and Fyfe full forward part time. Cerra perhaps could play there too. Banfield could be an in to play on Cripps. It’s pretty dire and bare. Win this would be incredible

Why McCarthy in? We need contested, marking options up forward. McCarthy can't even take a chest mark off a perfect lead.

Mundy has been poor recently. Play him during crucial center bounces, then when he's not there have him sit in the forward line to help spread the opposition with Cox. Gives Brayshaw, Cerra and Blakely more runs through the middle.

Why McCarthy in? We need contested, marking options up forward. McCarthy can't even take a chest mark off a perfect lead.

Mundy has been poor recently. Play him during crucial center bounces, then when he's not there have him sit in the forward line to help spread the opposition with Cox. Gives Brayshaw, Cerra and Blakely more runs through the middle.
It is difficult to put a case for McCarthy, so I won't bother. And I am not averse to playing smaller, especially if it is going to be wet. But that is a major reworking of the entire game plan and structure involving changes in every part of the ground, in order to cover a missing KPF. So for me the major benefit of McCarthy is you don't have to reinvent everything. But to be clear, I don't like either option.

One of the things that hasn't been discussed much has been Wilson who also looked injured. I wonder if he will be up or not?

Hugh's main problem is injury. The maximum amount of games he's managed to string together since being recruited is 4. He's currently only 2 games in from his last injury. It's hard to build form and fitness when you can't consistently get on the park.

Hugh's main problem is injury. The maximum amount of games he's managed to string together since being recruited is 4. He's currently only 2 games in from his last injury. It's hard to build form and fitness when you can't consistently get on the park.
He played in defence last weekend didn't he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, our tall forwards are....

.... Cox?

Does he play second ruck as well, or is that what Nyhuis is in for?
No. Banfield plays foward/on ball rotating with Fyfe and Mundy, Nyhuis plays back allowing blakely to play more mid, and Cerra plays Walters foward/ mid role. This is maybe more suited to wet conditions.

No. Banfield plays foward/on ball rotating with Fyfe and Mundy, Nyhuis plays back allowing blakely to play more mid, and Cerra plays Walters foward/ mid role. This is maybe more suited to wet conditions.
I can see what you are doing and I would like us to return to the plan of Fyfe and/or Mundy rolling forward, especially as our midfield options develop. But I can't see us going into a game with no second ruck option. Mind you, we are much better at sharking the opposition rucks than I expected we would be.

Perhaps take one of our defenders out and move them forward. Luke Ryan is a great reader of the ball, good mark, good kick and can beat a man one on one if it hits the deck. I know he is in AA form down back but with Hamling, Logue and perhaps Nyhuis in then he can be released.

Perhaps take one of our defenders out and move them forward. Luke Ryan is a great reader of the ball, good mark, good kick and can beat a man one on one if it hits the deck. I know he is in AA form down back but with Hamling, Logue and perhaps Nyhuis in then he can be released.
NFW. That's the sort of think you try in pre-season if you have an abundance of high quality defenders. The reason our defense is so good is very much to do with Ryan being there. 100% leave him there. Logue needs to stay too since we only have Cox left as a 193cm+ defender option (O'Reilly doesnt count).

I like Mundy forward with Cam coming in as the best of the available options, and by a fair way.

O'Reilly would be a better option than Dixon from the sounds of it. No way either of them come in though..

Agree with the suggested in's of Nyhuis, Cerra, Banfield if it's predicted wet weather.

O'Reilly would be a better option than Dixon from the sounds of it. No way either of them come in though..

Agree with the suggested in's of Nyhuis, Cerra, Banfield if it's predicted wet weather.
Even Cerra can play forward and rotate through when Fyfe and Mundy need a rest. There’s options there.
If it rains, we ll go with 1 ruck. In terms of 2 rucks, who’s next in line? Meek as emergency suggests he is? Who knows.

How do the Tankers generally perform after a bye? Interesting to know if they suffer from the standard post-bye slouchery.

They've got Kruezer and Cripps in the midfield.
No small fry there!!
Ed Curnow who is playing very well.
So the midfield is handy.
If they play the way Melbourne did after the bye it may be sayonara any chance of finals

How do the Tankers generally perform after a bye? Interesting to know if they suffer from the standard post-bye slouchery.
If you're going on last year, not so great. Freo got them after the bye and had them 12 goals to nil at half time on their own dunghill.

The year before they got over GWS by a point at home, but in 2016 were pumped by GWS by 62 points on the road.

Read into that little selection what you will.

Nonetheless, they've been one of our favoured teams to play over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back