Round 15: Changes vs Carlton + Pre-match Discussion

I can see Matera being a real headache for Carlton. He's actually in career best form
If he kicks four more goals for the rest of the season it will be his best ever return, previously 2014 - 27 goals, 17 behinds.

He is currently at 24 goals, 12 behinds.

We picked him up for our 2018 third round draft pick (traded as a future pick), roughly pick #41 (as we had the 5th pick of the 3rd round), nine academy and FS picks were taken before that point so it could have been up to #50.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Most of those high picks are pretty young, and all have at least shown something as AFL players.

The reason we are **** is because of the lack of talent in the 23-30 year old group. Who have we got out there in that range on Sunday? Newman, Casboult, Jones, Ed Curnow and Kreuzer. Be the worst in that bracket in the comp by a long way.

Another poster mentioned the fact we have guys like Dow and Walsh being played on ball 100% doesn't help us short term.
Yeah you seem to have damaged your rebuilding strategy at different times by trading out and getting rid of too many established players and left the young guys unprotected, leaderless and poorly balanced. Not to mention piling a massive burden on the likes of Cripps which can end up with long term ramifications.

bigdog43

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if Carlton supporters have seen us play this year..
You've been excellent this year, super exciting to watch. Biggest headache for us this Sunday will be Walters and Matera as we struggle with small forwards. No Cripps means our midfield will be incredibly exposed but we have looked a lot better since Bolton left. Hoping we can be competitive because last year when we played you lot I was in the bar by quarter time!

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
You've been excellent this year, super exciting to watch. Biggest headache for us this Sunday will be Walters and Matera as we struggle with small forwards. No Cripps means our midfield will be incredibly exposed but we have looked a lot better since Bolton left. Hoping we can be competitive because last year when we played you lot I was in the bar by quarter time!

Let's play a drinking game

I'll have a beer for every goal Carlton kick

You for every Freo goal

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle

Games are never won on team sheets. Anything is possible!

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Absolutely, i'm sure he'll get first crack. Curnow is far more developed at AFL level currently though and in good form...10 goals in last 2 games. Whereas Logue is only just back in the side.

What's happened to him? I recall he was a top 10 pick a few years back. Have injuries delayed his progress?
Significantly. Didn’t play at all last season. Struggled in two pre seasons. Almost like Alex Pearce in a way. Once they’re on the park, intelligence footballers.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I'm looking forward to seeing Bailey Banfield flying around the ground like a berserker now that he has his chance to grab his career by the scruff of the neck - and other cliches as well!

Looked a class above against Perth and the rain will certainly suit him if it comes.

Aug 17, 2007
Vic Park
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, NFAFC
With our injuries I was very worried about this game but then Cripps and McKay went out so I feel more confident.

Last time I felt this way was vs Brisbane last year so we'll likely get rolled by 5 goals.

Sad that we can't see our 2 big off season recruits in action.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really hope Banfield gets a good stint on ball. He'd be great in Neale's old role. In and under, first hands on, dish off by hand, rinse, repeat. Big body, quick step, quick hands. It's when he gets on the outside that his footskills let him down.

If it ends up being wet weather footy we are going to have some big bodies to throw around in the midfield against Carlton's younger and smaller midfield outfit. Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Banfield, Conca.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Would have had Nyhuis ahead of Cerra, but oh well.

Does Banfield tag still or play the possie accumulation game he's been playing over at Peel?
Hope they chuck him in the middle and let him tackle and go nuts. That’s his game. Not this half forward defensive garbage he got at the start of th year. He really gets going when he gets inside and dishes it out.

Aug 6, 2018
Karratha or Windsor Hotel
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
I really hope Banfield gets a good stint on ball. He'd be great in Neale's old role. In and under, first hands on, dish off by hand, rinse, repeat. Big body, quick step, quick hands. It's when he gets on the outside that his footskills let him down.

If it ends up being wet weather footy we are going to have some big bodies to throw around in the midfield against Carlton's younger and smaller midfield outfit. Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Banfield, Conca.
i think the rain will also help our small forwards who I am expecting to do the bulk of our scoring

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
With our injuries I was very worried about this game but then Cripps and McKay went out so I feel more confident.

Last time I felt this way was vs Brisbane last year so we'll likely get rolled by 5 goals.

Sad that we can't see our 2 big off season recruits in action.
Them losing Cripps and McKay is far worse than us losing Hogan and SHill.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most of those high picks are pretty young, and all have at least shown something as AFL players.

The reason we are **** is because of the lack of talent in the 23-30 year old group. Who have we got out there in that range on Sunday? Newman, Casboult, Jones, Ed Curnow and Kreuzer. Be the worst in that bracket in the comp by a long way.

Another poster mentioned the fact we have guys like Dow and Walsh being played on ball 100% doesn't help us short term.

Young and inexperienced doesn't wash this week as Freo is both younger and less experienced than Carlton. I get peed off at the young excuses that some sides get but doesn't seem to apply to Freo .

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Young and inexperienced doesn't wash this week as Freo is both younger and less experienced than Carlton. I get peed off at the young excuses that some sides get but doesn't seem to apply to Freo .

Theone that shits me is when WC mates tell me that Freo always excuse themselves as a rebuild.

What rubbish

No rebuild under Connelly Harvey and the initial 4 years of Ross.

Some WC supporters have a massive and unnecessary chip on thier shoulder.

Back