Prediction Round 15: Changes Vs Carlton + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't it funny, when Cripps goes into flog-mode you never see him wrestling with rucks or key position players who are his size or bigger, do you?

He's always getting stuck into the smaller guys.
Its always been when Fyfes not playing, Ive been waiting so long for Fyfe to be playing a game when Cripps tries this on again. If he tries his unstoppable force routine wait till he hits the immovable object.

Its always been when Fyfes not playing, Ive been waiting so long for Fyfe to be playing a game when Cripps tries this on again. If he tries his unstoppable force routine wait till he hits the immovable object.
I wanna see big Darcy run through him .. Cripps is a campaigner

Really hope Hughes goes to the wing for Acres, Carltank aren't flash on the wings.
Fyfe to Cripps at first bounce, they both go forward be good to see them head to head.
Frederick in For Switta.
Hughes omitted, Logue will swing back to take Curnow ( did a great job earlier in the year).

Tabs straight back in to take Logies place.

Tucker to the wing to replace Acres. Don’t expect too many other unforced changes.

Henry to be sub.
Hughes will stay in. We will start with Logue forward and if Curnow gets off the chain, he might swing back on him. Hughes can play multiple positions and he's better than Tucker. Pretty sure Hughes is in the top bracket for speed at the club.

Regarding Logue and Hughes: we are heading towards finals now and need to find opportunities to use depth.

Hughes on the wing builds depth of position. Previously he has been sitting in the wafl as our forgotten defender, and even now is in the side due to injuries in the forward line. Hughes is better than being depth in the wafl. Developing flexibility is a strategy to maximise the assets, especially in our overstocked defensive squad.

Logue should be given a chance to build some forward craft. His role there is where we are most vulnerable, and with Amiss and Treacy looking unlikely to impact this year, and Taberner a little injury prone, we need another string to our bow.

Those two players also bring a physical edge and a team first mindset that will be critical in finals.

You gotta admire the Ethan Hughes story by the way. Bunbury boy playing in the South West League recruited as a mature ager on the rookie list.
Does not shirk any contest and puts his body on the line always. If he gets to 100 afl games that's a bloody good effort and he should be very proud.

Fyfe should go head to head v Cripps all day ala the Danger battle when he was at Adelaide. If Fyfe can dull the Cripps juggernaut somewhat as well as getting in a gut busting solid 4 qtrs I’d take that.

You gotta admire the Ethan Hughes story by the way. Bunbury boy playing in the South West League recruited as a mature ager on the rookie list.
Does not shirk any contest and puts his body on the line always. If he gets to 100 afl games that's a bloody good effort and he should be very proud.
This.

Players like Hughes are the unattractive, easily forgotten foundation of premiership teams.

He won't ever get it, but he deserves credit by the bucket load.

Pretty sure he was recruited from the WAFL, not the South West League.

Fyfe should go head to head v Cripps all day ala the Danger battle when he was at Adelaide. If Fyfe can dull the Cripps juggernaut somewhat as well as getting in a gut busting solid 4 qtrs I’d take that.

I like the matchups in bursts. Not sure head to head the whole match is appropriate. There’ll be times we should look to expose Cripps defensively. Much prefer a team approach. Just back in Serong, Brayshaw, Mundy, Fyfe, Brodie at the coal face. It’s the outside run we are a little short of a gallop without Acres. Aish isn’t that great outside IMO. Though I rate his impact and versatility.

Reckon Freo will win this game unless it buckets down again. We're just too methodical and JL knows how to make tweaks mid-game to adapt. On a separate note, I'm liking the positive talk around Hughes too.

The next three weeks results will reveal who the real contenders are, IMO. Truth time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Freo will win this game unless it buckets down again. We're just too methodical and JL knows how to make tweaks mid-game to adapt. On a separate note, I'm liking the positive talk around Hughes too.

The next three weeks results will reveal who the real contenders are, IMO. Truth time.
Good thing there's a roof

I don't think Fyfe should go onto Cripps, I don't like Cripps but this year he seems a bit faster than normal, he'd burn old Fyfe off pretty easily I think.
Especially Fyfes 2nd game back....
Can never write Fyfe off. I know he’s coming back from a big let off but he is a beast. Would love to witness another head to head like he did with Dangerfield. That was some battle

Anyway re Hughes he's always been an athletically and aerobically gifted footballer with some big crosses: Decision making and, to a lesser extent, kicking.

Now he's had 140 odd games of senior footy experience to offset his natural decision making deficiencies (and learning his kicking limitations) he could be in a position to make an a serious impact.

The goal he sunk on the weekend was nerveless. Made it look easier than it was.

Last edited:
Good honest footballer. I like the way he goes about it. Maybe not the most gifted on the list, but will always give 100%.
Deserves a decent run of games if can cover the wing in the absence of Blacres.

Can never write Fyfe off. I know he’s coming back from a big let off but he is a beast. Would love to witness another head to head like he did with Dangerfield. That was some battle
Our midfield rarely does matchup lately besides Aish to Oliver in the 2nd half. We rotate a lot through there and it has made it tougher in the first half of games if the oppositions A team gets on top but I feel it keeps them all fresh and we run over the top of most teams in the 3rd & 4th.

Our midfield rarely does matchup lately besides Aish to Oliver in the 2nd half. We rotate a lot through there and it has made it tougher in the first half of games if the oppositions A team gets on top but I feel it keeps them all fresh and we run over the top of most teams in the 3rd & 4th.
Aish to Oliver was a stroke of genius by Carr

Can't help shake the feeling this is still a prime "Freo" game, despite all the positive steps we've taken this year.

The noise around Carlton's injuries, the bye and the possibility for overconfidence to come creeping back in on the back of 3 great wins is a potential recipe for one of those classic sluggish losses.

No doubt Longmuir is hammering that into the team this week but I'll be very relieved if we've ticked this one off and taken the 4 points come Saturday arvo.

Can't help shake the feeling this is still a prime "Freo" game, despite all the positive steps we've taken this year.

The noise around Carlton's injuries, the bye and the possibility for overconfidence to come creeping back in on the back of 3 great wins is a potential recipe for one of those classic sluggish losses.

No doubt Longmuir is hammering that into the team this week but I'll be very relieved if we've ticked this one off and taken the 4 points come Saturday arvo.
I felt like that with the Hawks but the team dug deep and found a way. Let's see if the Blues can dance with us for 4 qtrs and not just the first 2 this time.

Anyway re Hughes he's always been an athletically and aerobically gifted footballer with some big crosses: Decision making and, to a lesser extent, kicking.

Now he's had 140 odd games of senior footy experience to offset his natural decision making deficiencies (and learning his kicking limitations) he could be in a position to make an a serious impact.

The goal he sunk on the weekend was nerveless. Made it look easier than it was.
I remember him fluffing a kick one game down in Tasmania against Hawthorn. We were only a goal down maybe and then they overran us. Maybe the game Fyfe got three votes in a loss and Hawks fans had a sook?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back