Autopsy Round 15: Docherty 81 - Dockery 50

Remove this Banner Ad

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I put the loss on the midfield leaders: Brayshaw, Fyfe and Serong. They did not play with the intensity required.

Our small forwards played extremely poorly. But, it was really the midfield where the game was lost.
You are right. Brodie, Fyfe and Mundy in the midfield is a disaster waiting to happen. Complete with injuries to our wings and Serong having an average game, no wonder we got smacked there. Our defence is elite and we have proven before that we don't need an A grade forwardline to kick a winning score, we just need our mids to get on top.

blinkd

All Australian
Mar 20, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
What was JLo’s take on the loss? Haven’t seen his presser on docker tv yet

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe needs to become a full time forward. He's not needed in the midfield anymore.

JLo really needs to sort out the midfield and forward line as the current mix don't compliment each other.

Can you really have Tabs, Lobb, Fyfe and Logue* all up forward?

You can't have Fyfe, Brodie and Mundy all playing in the midfield because they can't defend well.

The solution is obvious to me, you drop Tabs and move Fyfe forward. Fyfe returning has upset the apple cart.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe needs to become a full time forward. He's not needed in the midfield anymore.

JLo really needs to sort out the midfield and forward line as the current mix don't compliment each other.

Can you really have Tabs, Lobb, Fyfe and Logue* all up forward?

You can't have Fyfe, Brodie and Mundy all playing in the midfield because they can't defend well.

The solution is obvious to me, you drop Tabs and move Fyfe forward. Fyfe returning has upset the apple cart.

We should be able to have Tabs, Fyfe and Lobb all forward, provided we have plenty of pace around them and a gameplan to accommodate. I'm not confident that we can do that though based on recent evidence.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
We should be able to have Tabs, Fyfe and Lobb all forward, provided we have plenty of pace around them and a gameplan to accommodate. I'm not confident that we can do that though based on recent evidence.
If fyfe is such a profesional as claimed he needs to get out of the way of a good thing.
I might eat my words but I don't think all 3 of fyfe, mundy and Brodie can work it.
And I get a feeling Brodie will get pushed out which is rediculous..

Sturty2Hurty

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Might be worth putting some time into Walsh next time; the last four times we’ve played them he’s had:

37 Disposals
25 disposal
33 disposals
40 disposals

Like jfc. He reads the play well and when a ball spills out he’s already away with it running down the field while the rest of our blokes are scrambling on their knees.

I actually thought we played well it’s that we lost the game in the preparation - I think we expected to dominate the contested marking down the line and that didn’t eventuate. That Lewis Young bloke is really underrated - he got a spoil in at crucial times when he had no right to. We need to be better at blocking and making space for each other in the forward line.

Carlton gave us a lot of chances to win that I thought. Our turnover game had really gone to s**t.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

Yeah Fyfe is not slow by any means. He's clearly a step off it after the long lay-off but no reason you can't have those 3 up forward.

Logue as well is maybe stretching it although he's as fast as most of our smalls.

I guess the question is who is better at the CHF role, Logue or Fyfe? I think if you still say Logue then there's room for Fyfe in the middle but probably not while he's not 100% and not while Mundy is also in the centre.

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
Hard to take a lot out of it, when so many people were off there game.

Mundy, Fyfe, Brodie worry me in the one team due to lack of defensive run and speed, and Fyfe forward is not the answer. Losing Acres, Walters and Switta make it worse.

Acres and Odriscoll back in, plus Walters and hopefully Switta will help a lot.

Don't want Logue to play back as well, makes us too slow.
This pretty much nails the issue for me, the balance is all off due to lack of speed and better ball use to accommodate Fyfe and we lacked Acres huge tank and hardness off the wing, we don't realise just how much effort he puts in and finds the pill. I thought Brodie and Fyfe might compliment each other before Nat returned, but I was wrong. They don't. Mundy slowing up at an alarming rate is also a worry, we don't have time to fast track Erasmus (who doesn't have great kicking skills as yet anyway..) or a Johnson. The midfield was woefully exposed yesterday - we can't allow for repeat offenses of that nature again, we'll get killed more often than not.

I've said this before, but I'd like to see Crowden have got an opportunity to play midfield minutes earlier in the year to see if he had anything to offer there - good kick, hard at it, strong tackler etc etc....but it never came to fruition. We still rely on the old bulls, I guess you need some experience & height - I respect that, but you also have to back in your players. Brayshaw/Serong and Brodie can hold their own, they've shown this - they have come of age perhaps quicker than expected, but they're ready.

Acres/Switta/O' Driscoll/Walters and Chapman - there's some handy ins if you can get 'em all back together. It hurt us quite significantly when Driz went down because he is quick, good ball user and can kick some x-factor type goals. He was playing really well in his first senior appearing season. Logue forward was also proving us with some unexpected x-factor - teams weren't handling it that well even if Griff wasn't scoring goals or having an absolute blinder, he was causing headaches just with his contest and efforts. Some of those efforts allowed crumbers to get goals off of them, the moment they said he was down back (I didn't watch the game..) I knew it was a mistake and that it might bite us on the arse.

It's a shame J-Lo went back into his shell, he's shown he can do some radical things that work - don't lose your confidence there now, back yourself in Mr. Longmuir. We're oh so close, but you need to instill that belief again, otherwise...more days like yesterday will follow

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
This pretty much nails the issue for me, the balance is all off due to lack of speed and better ball use to accommodate Fyfe and we lacked Acres huge tank and hardness off the wing, we don't realise just how much effort he puts in and finds the pill. I thought Brodie and Fyfe might compliment each other before Nat returned, but I was wrong. They don't. Mundy slowing up at an alarming rate is also a worry, we don't have time to fast track Erasmus (who doesn't have great kicking skills as yet anyway..) or a Johnson. The midfield was woefully exposed yesterday - we can't allow for repeat offenses of that nature again, we'll get killed more often than not.

I've said this before, but I'd like to see Crowden have got an opportunity to play midfield minutes earlier in the year to see if he had anything to offer there - good kick, hard at it, strong tackler etc etc....but it never came to fruition. We still rely on the old bulls, I guess you need some experience & height - I respect that, but you also have to back in your players. Brayshaw/Serong and Brodie can hold their own, they've shown this - they have come of age perhaps quicker than expected, but they're ready.

Acres/Switta/O' Driscoll/Walters and Chapman - there's some handy ins if you can get 'em all back together. It hurt us quite significantly when Driz went down because he is quick, good ball user and can kick some x-factor type goals. He was playing really well in his first senior appearing season. Logue forward was also proving us with some unexpected x-factor - teams weren't handling it that well even if Griff wasn't scoring goals or having an absolute blinder, he was causing headaches just with his contest and efforts. Some of those efforts allowed crumbers to get goals off of them, the moment they said he was down back (I didn't watch the game..) I knew it was a mistake and that it might bite us on the arse.

It's a shame J-Lo went back into his shell, he's shown he can do some radical things that work - don't lose your confidence there now, back yourself in Mr. Longmuir. We're oh so close, but you need to instill that belief again, otherwise...more days like yesterday will follow
Switta, Walters Freddy and Schultz are a lock in the forwardline. Tabbs and Lobb are also a lock. Where does that leave Logue, Fyfe and Colyer?

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
We’re short of wingers. Not against Chapman going there. Hughes is a solid marking backman who has been solid before today. All 22 players actually weren’t close to solid.

No problem with Hughes but all our backmen were marking backmen. We need some running backs there too. We should have played Wilson or Tucker over Hughes given the injuries to Acres, O'Driscoll and Chapman. Our only pace was in the forward line and we just didn't get it down there enough for it to matter.

hoss

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2004
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just me, or was Freddy getting ignored when out and free in the first quarter? Happened a few times from what I could see, the one where Tabs goaled was explainable when looked at from a certain angle (as in, Banfield probably wouldn't have seen him) but there were a couple earlier which surprised me.
Dunno but Freddie ignored tackling some opposition players in the first quarter.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Switta, Walters Freddy and Schultz are a lock in the forwardline. Tabbs and Lobb are also a lock. Where does that leave Logue, Fyfe and Colyer?
Switta is injured and as such either Henry or Colyer will get that nod. Banfield and Fyfe as medium talls.

Fyfe’s rustiness is not just his touch but where he needs to stand in the clearances. It is hard coming to a season part way through. Perhaps he could of played a WAFL game during the bye - but prob needed the rest. The second game back is always the hardest. Let’s see how Fyfe bounces back next week.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sean Darcy has been poor as well. Needs to make a statement.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
Apologies for the few trolls.

The Freo backline was ridiculously good. Taberner was basically unstoppable up forward, and it was a bit unfair on Logue that Curnow finished with 4.

I actually thought some weird coaching moves in the middle was what cost you guys.

Fyfe running with Cripps early was a great strategy. Thought it would allow him to work into the game and get some rust off, and it was proving effective. Not sure why Longmuir didn't persist with it. The other obvious one was not having someone run with Walsh.

Genuinely looked like a game between two quality teams though. Would prefer not to meet Freo in finals if both teams make it.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Was a good game.
I thought we were going to come back in the 3rd like we have been doing.
Carlton came hard in the third,
I think they planned for this.
Freo had a few passangers tonight.
Might see yas in a few months if we can pull out finger out..😂

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Everyone’s so worried about defensive mid pressure.
We should be backing in a starting midfield of Darcy Brodie Fyfe and Brayshaw to win the ball.

We didn’t win it enough yesterday out the middle

This is exactly how I saw it. The talk was they would struggle with Pittonet out but DeKonig was brilliant. Then when Silvagni was in the ruck Darcy tended to punch it forward instead of palming it to advantage.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Darcy got rogered by De Koning

Darcy wasn't smashed he just didn't dominate and was sharked by the Carlton mids and then Lobb couldn't dominate Silvagni.

Thought it was about even as a contest even with Darcy winning the majority of hit outs and De Koning deserves a bit of praise for sticking to his task around the ground when Darcy was pretty immovable when he got front spot - and helped a little with the lack of intervention from the umpires. There was one boundary throw in on the wing side facing the cameras where De Koning was like an octopus hold Darcy's right arm and reaching over his neck with the other arm.

Maybe the method of the centre square hit outs could have been changed up as Carlton won the centre clearances 14-5.

sumavich

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Darcy was on Silvagni at times as well. He should’ve ragdolled that princess, having said that Silvagni always plays well against us

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is exactly how I saw it. The talk was they would struggle with Pittonet out but DeKonig was brilliant. Then when Silvagni was in the ruck Darcy tended to punch it forward instead of palming it to advantage.

Yeah it’s all well and good to talk about mids having a defensive side.. but if you can’t win the ball then you’re stuffed. 14-5 center Clearances.. defense means little when it’s being smashed out so much

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
We'd been one of (if not the) best team in terms of scoring from stoppages/clearances in the last month. That included vs the midfield of Brisbane and melb. So obviously coach is gonna assume that whatever he was doing was working. Idk wtf happened yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back