Autopsy Round 15: Docherty 81 - Dockery 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah Fyfe is not slow by any means. He's clearly a step off it after the long lay-off but no reason you can't have those 3 up forward.

Logue as well is maybe stretching it although he's as fast as most of our smalls.

I guess the question is who is better at the CHF role, Logue or Fyfe? I think if you still say Logue then there's room for Fyfe in the middle but probably not while he's not 100% and not while Mundy is also in the centre.

If we add Logue to Tabs, Fyfe and Lobb then he's got to replace Banfield as the defensive forward imo. 4 tall forwards won't work, especially not those 4.

I agree re Fyfes midfield time, he's totally and easily still good enough to go in there but not when Mundy is anywhere near the midfield and probably not Brodie either. Fyfe with Brayshaw and Cerra is fine.

Brodie spends a lot of time off the ground anyway so it shouldn't be hard to balance the rotations between him and Fyfe but I guess where does that leave Mundy? Surely he's a perfect like for like Acres replacement.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is exactly how I saw it. The talk was they would struggle with Pittonet out but DeKonig was brilliant. Then when Silvagni was in the ruck Darcy tended to punch it forward instead of palming it to advantage.

Their midfield was killing ours at reading Darcy's taps hence the change up from him.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
We'd been one of (if not the) best team in terms of scoring from stoppages/clearances in the last month. That included vs the midfield of Brisbane and melb. So obviously coach is gonna assume that whatever he was doing was working. Idk wtf happened yesterday
We were beaten at our own game. We couldn’t get our hands on the ball first at the stoppage, which hasn’t been a problem as our pressure & defensive work in there has been 2nd to none & we’ve been able to turn the ball over pretty quickly.

Unfortunately our pressure was off yesterday & they were able spread quickly & easily. When we did get our hands on it they applied great pressure & we weren’t as clean getting the ball to the outside, which is the key to our scoring from stoppage as it utilises our small forwards & outside mids like Colyer.

There was a 12-15 minute period in the 3rd when their pressure dropped & we were able to get back in the game, but Fyfe mistook the boundary umpire for a player & they were able to reset. It would have been interesting if we kicked the next goal, but I still feel we weren’t playing well enough for long enough to maintain it & get the win.

They were better on the day.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I do remember being kinda concerend with the stat vs Hawks where Freo were scoring from stoppages and not from turnover. When all year Freo had been doing well off turnover. Wasn't a good shift. Not sure if the blame can soley be dropped at the feet of Fyfe but its not a good look that him entering the team caused this shift...

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
Darcy was on Silvagni at times as well. He should’ve ragdolled that princess, having said that Silvagni always plays well against us
We should have a player like Treacy providing a similar chop out for Darcy. Lobb is so soft in the ruck, at least you know Treacy will give his all and has good mobility and a thumping kick should he take possession.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I do remember being kinda concerend with the stat vs Hawks where Freo were scoring from stoppages and not from turnover. When all year Freo had been doing well off turnover. Wasn't a good shift. Not sure if the blame can soley be dropped at the feet of Fyfe but its not a good look that him entering the team caused this shift...
I'm not sure how they are going to fix it.
How do you keep the captain / brownlow medalist busy if not in the only position he excels in.
Why might beat the bottom teams but there's no way we are challenging with the last 2 games strategy

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
We should have a player like Treacy providing a similar chop out for Darcy. Lobb is so soft in the ruck, at least you know Treacy will give his all and has good mobility and a thumping kick should he take possession.
Meek should be remembered here. I think he gives good value, including follow-up. He is clumsier than some, but more agile than others, also tackles and occasionally goals.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not sure how they are going to fix it.
How do you keep the captain / brownlow medalist busy if not in the only position he excels in.
Why might beat the bottom teams but there's no way we are challenging with the last 2 games strategy
Its not really a shift in strategy I think its just cant get the mix of players of rights. Losing Switta and Walters and bringing in Tabs certainly didnt help in that regard. Not to mention Acres who also helped with midfield defensive pressure. Just the perfect storm of wrong ins and wrong outs vs the wrong team....

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have 10 wins after 14 rounds. 9 games to go.

We were never going to win 22 games, the season is long and it will have ups and downs. Seems we had an off week, Longmire has enough credits in the bank this year for us to have a few off weeks.

Minimum wins to make finals? 14? We should do that easily going on form for the year.

We are doing bloody well, top 4 at this point of the year is excellent. Has any team come from multiple years out of finals and won a flag? I highly doubt it but finals should be a minimum after this start with a proper flag shot next year.

I'm enjoying the ride so far this year especially after the debacle that was St Kilda earlier in the year. This was a hiccup but as we saw with the losses to GC and Collingwood it may just be growing pains. Shortly after we beat Melbourne and Brisbane.

It's a good year.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Our ball moment was stifled. Our defence held up very well without taking the contested marks in the back 50m which gave Carlton extra looks with ball ups in our D50, but the times we got possession we could only get it out to someone to the wing. I was expecting someone like Ryan and Cox to have bigger influences back there. We had Logue and Pearce to look after Curnow and McKay, but there wasn't anyone that managed to zone off and dominate except maybe for Young early on.

Defensively when they didn't have the ball Carlton seem to lock on to our players so there wasn't a loose man. I expect it was something they focused on after their poor effort against Richmond where they conceded 76 inside 50s. There wasn't that space to run into the centre after we draw them out wide and we didn't even get that switch going from one flank to the other.

I wasn't until early in the 3rd quarter when Frederick came up and took a chest mark inside the square where I thought "this is our style of play", but we only had one brief period where we scored 2 goals in a row in the 3rd quarter. The only other period of play where we had repeat goals was in the first quarter (our highest goal scoring quarter) with the 3 goals in a row that seemed to be against the trend of play where we managed to push up and get them out the back (more in the style of the previous coach) and isolating a contest inside 50m.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I went to the game and one thing for sure was that their players and supporters were on from the start.
They played very well. Their A game. We did not. Our mids were beaten, we didn't have the wings to do the crucial running. Surprisingly and pleasingly Henry looked to be the best runner for us. Our forwards were OK but below their best at retaining the ball for consecutive shots. Our backs were terrific. Young, excellent.
My comment on Fyfe. He isn't fitting the rhythm of our midfield. Brayshaw thrives on Brodies quick gives, but Fyfe takes the tackle, Brayshaw is then out of position when Fyfe handballs.
Cartlon were good, make no bones about it. They deserved to win. But no one wins a flag in June.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

We were never going to win 22 games, the season is long and it will have ups and downs. Seems we had an off week, Longmire has enough credits in the bank this year for us to have a few off weeks.

Minimum wins to make finals? 14? We should do that easily going on form for the year.

We are doing bloody well, top 4 at this point of the year is excellent. Has any team come from multiple years out of finals and won a flag? I highly doubt it but finals should be a minimum after this start with a proper flag shot next year.

I'm enjoying the ride so far this year especially after the debacle that was St Kilda earlier in the year. This was a hiccup but as we saw with the losses to GC and Collingwood it may just be growing pains. Shortly after we beat Melbourne and Brisbane.

It's a good year.
Spot on
Anywhere from 5-8 this year was going to be acceptable and Trending in the right direction

Bettering that would be exciting for the players and supporters .
Expectations above that should be evenly tempered.

Rhufus

Senior List
Apr 28, 2021
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

It's a good year.
Actually no team has ever not made the finals with 13 wins Yeti, just sayin. Usually 12 will do it.

rubydoomsday

Debutant
Mar 6, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
LFC

It's a good year.
this. I never expected Flagmantle in 2022 tbh. it's been gravy for weeks. we've now nearly won more matches already than our past 2-3 seasons, with 9 left to play.

making finals is a huge W, imo, but a bigger plus is the buy-in and belief being shown by the younger guys, the continuing break out of Young, Clark proving the knockers wrong etc.

get a full pre-season into Fyfe, have a frank and fair re-assessment of his (and Mundy's) roles in '23 + all our youngs coming good = next year we should be a serious contender.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
this. I never expected Flagmantle in 2022 tbh. it's been gravy for weeks. we've now nearly won more matches already than our past 2-3 seasons, with 9 left to play.

making finals is a huge W, imo, but a bigger plus is the buy-in and belief being shown by the younger guys, the continuing break out of Young, Clark proving the knockers wrong etc.

get a full pre-season into Fyfe, have a frank and fair re-assessment of his (and Mundy's) roles in '23 + all our youngs coming good = next year we should be a serious contender.
Aren't there only eight games remaining?

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
What makes me nervous is two teams that are 8-6 are currently out of the 8. We don’t have any gimme games (I swear the eagles will be a different team by Round 22 and absolutely will play their GF against us) and need at least 3 more wins maybe 4 to guarantee a finals spot. 5 or 6 wins for Top 4.

I think the reality is all of the top 10 teams are pretty close in quality, and they are most of our matchups on the run home. Port has to be a non-negotiable this week otherwise things are looking real shaky.

Chappy’s been an underrated loss in that respect imo, Acres going down as well was keenly felt

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Game summary and ratings

Attachments

• 8F946748-0031-44A0-8BCE-38678C7B7AF5.png
    8F946748-0031-44A0-8BCE-38678C7B7AF5.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 155
  • 4B1955DF-7BBD-4518-837D-0B7EB654F3E0.png
    4B1955DF-7BBD-4518-837D-0B7EB654F3E0.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 156

FDH16

Team Captain
May 24, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's a few talking points:

• JL cooked it by not keeping Logue in the front half, he is the best lead up forward in our team between the arcs.
  • Brayshaw and Serong are not big enough to compete against big midfields, flattered against Melbourne when Petracca was crook. They will smash us if we play in a final - Harmes/Petracca/Oliver.
  • Sean Darcy's conditioning needs to be called into question.
  • Rory Lobb is still a flake.
  • JL let Walsh chop us up - one of the more bizarre non tags I've seen.
  • Will Brodie is a certified star, needs help with some bigger bodied mids.
  • Jordan Clark is exceptional.

Biggest concern, we simply do not generate enough scoring oppportunities for a foward line that isn't the most talented and lacks match-winners.

If we get behind in a final, we're ****ed.

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
Switta, Walters Freddy and Schultz are a lock in the forwardline. Tabbs and Lobb are also a lock. Where does that leave Logue, Fyfe and Colyer?
Honest answer: don't know. Not my problem.

I wouldn't say Freddy is a lock either, he is quite inconsistent still. Out of the remaining 3 you listed though, I prefer Logue forward, we had some unexpected 'spark' by doing it, it felt like it was reward for 'creative thinking'. It might be that, in the long run, it doesn't work out. But that remains to be seen. Colyer has been very consistent up until the Carlton loss, even if he's not a big goal-getter, he is a good contributer and link-up man with his endurance and running power; it happens when you have better depth to choose off. NOD on the wing has been a revelation. If he comes back and reclaims it, you'd argue that's his spot to lose - Acres the other.

I would actually prefer we blooded Treacy and Sturt in our forward line, if anything - but I wasn't expecting us to be a 'contender' this year...so I thought it might be okay to experiment here & there. Now it's hard, you don't want to de-stabilise the group too much outside of things you can't control like injuries, illness, suspension etc because we're genuinely challenging. I thought (even hoped) that might come next year and we'd be looking to fight to get into the bottom half of the 8 this year. Now I'm worried we might slip out the top 4. Perspectives can change quickly in sports. We're exceeding my expectations for season 2022

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
JL cooked it by not keeping Logue in the front half, he is the best lead up forward in our team between the arcs
definitely agree with this but I thought Tabs did a pretty good job of moving up the ground during the game, had a few good marks in the middle of the ground that helped us go forward

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Pretty much this. Most of the time it's fine but if we're a bit off it's horrific. Natural progression on from Mundy to Erasmus/Johnson will help. Walsh's extra step over our mids was telling I thought.

We rely a lot on small forward pressure and work to generate a free man going forward and stop opposition ball movement. If more than one has an off day we look like absolute potatoes with how easy other teams can move the ball out.
To be fair, Walsh is probably the best in the league at our kyrptonite too, it was on full show

Remove this Banner Ad

Back