Review Round 15 - Essendon vs GWS Giants, Thursday 27th June, Marvel Stadium, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Is everybody refreshed, and ready for the second half of the season?

Actually, that's a bit misleading. With thirteen games under our belt and only nine to go, we're already well into the second half of the season. The bye is just a chance for everyone to catch their breath.

Usually at this time of the year, ladder position is supposed to mean something. As it's 3rd vs 10th, we shouldn't really be that concerned about Thursday night, even though it's an away game, our percentage is way superior, and Dylan hasn't exactly set the world on fire since moving to the Bombers.

However, we're coming off a break, and while that usually helps a team with injuries, we do tend to be a bit rusty after the week off. That has to be balanced against Essendon coming off a loss to West Coast over in Perth. The travel won't have helped them, but the tough nature of that game certainly will.

Looking at the injury list from last Tuesday, Jye Caldwell and Adian Corr are a chance to return; whether Haynes and Whitfield are available is another matter. We've certainly been dealt a harsh blow by the injury to De Boer, he's been one of those unsung heroes who does his job but manages to fly under the radar. We'll have to wait until the situation becomes clearer as the week progresses to see who lines up.

Realistically, if we're serious about having a real crack at it this year, we must win this game. Looking at the draw, we have a run of tough games coming up, including Richmond at the MCG :coldsweat:, Collingwood at home :anguished:, the Power in Adelaide :worried:, and Big Brother at home :confused:. Not an easy run. And who knows what kind of mood Big Brother will be in by then?

It's a pretty simple equation. So I just hope the mental preparation is right. That's about the only thing standing between us and another crucial four points.

Let's go, Giants, let's go.

Last edited:
Even though the bombers have had a season to forget- they are still a good team so we will need to play well to win

I’m especially interested in this game as our away record is pretty average and we need to address that in the back half of the year

This is definitely a danger game for us, one of those we frequently drop our bundle on. This should be an easy win if we play up to our own standards but I can easily see us getting caught out.

I reckon you guys will get the win and fairly comfortably. We'll come out hard but I feel the class of Cogs, Kelly and Taranto in the middle will make it tough for us. I think we'll be using Dylan Clarke as a run with against Cogs or Kelly, are you likely to use one on Merrett without De Boer (who I agree will be a loss). I'm expecting two changes to our side, Jake Stringer and Martin Gleeson in for Mitch Brown (omit) and Matt Guelfi (inj).

Cale Hooker - Michael Hurley - Adam Saad
Conor McKenna - Patrick Ambrose - Mason Redman
Andrew McGrath - Dylan Clarke - Zachary Merrett
Josh Begley - Jake Stringer - Orazio Fantasia
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Shaun McKernan - Jayden Laverde
Tom Bellchambers - Dylan Shiel - Dyson Heppell
Darcy Parish - Kyle Langford - Martin Gleeson - David Zaharakis

I reckon you guys will get the win and fairly comfortably. We'll come out hard but I feel the class of Cogs, Kelly and Taranto in the middle will make it tough for us. I think we'll be using Dylan Clarke as a run with against Cogs or Kelly, are you likely to use one on Merrett without De Boer (who I agree will be a loss). I'm expecting two changes to our side, Jake Stringer and Martin Gleeson in for Mitch Brown (omit) and Matt Guelfi (inj).

Cale Hooker - Michael Hurley - Adam Saad
Conor McKenna - Patrick Ambrose - Mason Redman
Andrew McGrath - Dylan Clarke - Zachary Merrett
Josh Begley - Jake Stringer - Orazio Fantasia
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Shaun McKernan - Jayden Laverde
Tom Bellchambers - Dylan Shiel - Dyson Heppell
Darcy Parish - Kyle Langford - Martin Gleeson - David Zaharakis
Woosha haw already said this morning Stringer won't be right for this week.

Thinking we will start quietly then kick it in to gear in the 2nd half.

Key is not giving the Bombers to much of a head start.

The talent and heart is there. Just have to be on point from the get go.

As an aside the stupidity of not having the Giants play a home game past weekend when there was no League on typifies that the Melbourne hq don't know what to do with North of the Murray.

Thinking we will start quietly then kick it in to gear in the 2nd half.

Key is not giving the Bombers to much of a head start.

The talent and heart is there. Just have to be on point from the get go.

As an aside the stupidity of not having the Giants play a home game past weekend when there was no League on typifies that the Melbourne hq don't know what to do with North of the Murray.

Dont want to get off topic but agree should've been Saturday night Giants vs Pies

With absolutely no disrespect to the Bombers intended.
I'd rather we are 150% sure and have no problems with them taking an extra week after they think he is ok.
Absolutely, and given their conservative nature with injuries this year, he definitely has to be well and truly 100% to be considered this week. If anything, playing the first game of the round will go against him too. If he's close, playing on the Sunday instead of the Thursday might make all the difference. Mcveigh missed 3 weeks last year with the same injury. He's missed three weeks too (2 games plus the bye). A real shame they play first up this week.

Absolutely, and given their conservative nature with injuries this year, he definitely has to be well and truly 100% to be considered this week. If anything, playing the first game of the round will go against him too. If he's close, playing on the Sunday instead of the Thursday might make all the difference. Mcveigh missed 3 weeks last year with the same injury. He's missed three weeks too (2 games plus the bye). A real shame they play first up this week.
Thursday will be 27 days since. He is a massive chance if McVeigh can get up giving the age difference. Wishful thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another big test for the team and again to be a premiership contender a game the team will need to win. The team will be refreshed with a 11 day break between games and I see this game being more a mental challenge for the team to be switched on
Interesting week for team selection with a few still 1 week away from being available and with a few strong performances last game up for the reserves I can see maybe 3 changes to the team in order to freshen the 22 up and some players may benefit from the 2 weeks off (Mumford)
Mumford to have an extra week to be fresh for the next 5 weeks which will be a tough stretch but without having more info on how his body is coping this is just a guess
Langdon to come in and Greene to spend more time in the mids
Hard to know on Stein but he did alright in the North game so for mine he stays in especially with Haynes, Corr and Keefe either injure or in need of a week in the NEAFL for Corr but Buntine could be an option down back depending on how tall the Bombers could be and he could be a toss up with Hately and Lloyd for a bench spot as well

Shaw Davis Reid
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Kelly Taranto Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Langdon
Daniels HH TOJ
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Perryman Stein/Buntine/Hatley/Lloyd

Another big test for the team and again to be a premiership contender a game the team will need to win. The team will be refreshed with a 11 day break between games and I see this game being more a mental challenge for the team to be switched on
Interesting week for team selection with a few still 1 week away from being available and with a few strong performances last game up for the reserves I can see maybe 3 changes to the team in order to freshen the 22 up and some players may benefit from the 2 weeks off (Mumford)
Mumford to have an extra week to be fresh for the next 5 weeks which will be a tough stretch but without having more info on how his body is coping this is just a guess
Langdon to come in and Greene to spend more time in the mids
Hard to know on Stein but he did alright in the North game so for mine he stays in especially with Haynes, Corr and Keefe either injure or in need of a week in the NEAFL for Corr but Buntine could be an option down back depending on how tall the Bombers could be and he could be a toss up with Hately and Lloyd for a bench spot as well

Shaw Davis Reid
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Kelly Taranto Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Langdon
Daniels HH TOJ
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Perryman Stein/Buntine/Hatley/Lloyd
Reckon Lloyd/ Langdon are more likely to come in to replace De Boer, which would push Greene further up the ground, as long as they are confident his body can handle it. If not, bring in Hately as a direct replacement if Whit isn't ready. Anyone else at the lower level playing as a tagger?

Reckon Lloyd/ Langdon are more likely to come in to replace De Boer, which would push Greene further up the ground, as long as they are confident his body can handle it. If not, bring in Hately as a direct replacement if Whit isn't ready. Anyone else at the lower level playing as a tagger?

Shipley has the body size and could develop into a kind of tagger but still only a second year player, I think the club will look at the group to play more defensively minded to make up for no De Boer and Reid could be another option in game if it is needed

I don't think that Haynes or Whitfield will be ready for this round, given how conservatively we've been managing return from injuries this year. That leaves de Boer to be replaced, and then any other decisions, such as resting Mumford for an extra week. Facing Bellchambers is possibly one matchup where we might take the option of playing Simpson if that extra time off is worthwhile for Mummy. The other thought would be Matt Buntine - with Stein playing confidently in defence last game, we might be a more balanced team by swapping Bunts for a more attacking player. I'd be happy with replacing de Boer & Buntine for Langdon & Hately and sending Greene more into the midfield. Mummy/Simpson is a decision for the medical staff.

I really don’t understand this theme of extra rest for mummy. The whole concept relies on the fact he is 30+ and therefore must be sore so needs extra rest. In every interview he has said his body is in the best nick it has been in for the last 5 years and yet we still bring up resting him with no medical insight or evidence from the club to suggest it is warranted

Personally a large frustration for the last two years was a lack of continuity in the best 22. Now when we have opportunities for this we apparently advocate change just cos?

Play the best 22 whenever possible- let that unit bond

Gents (and ladies), just trying to finalise my Super Coach team for this week and wanted to get your opinion on whether your match committee will opt for the white plastic garden chair to tag Guelfi in the absences of deBoer?
Thanks in advance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back