Preview Round 15: Essendon vs Melbourne, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Saturday 26/06/2021 @ 7:25 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would of loved to go to this game but being from the country and small crowd amounts not a hope in hell. I think we are a huge chance, firstly I’m not sure about Melbourne yet, look at their run home, tells me they haven’t played much yet.

Truck will dangle the carrot this week about finals is in our own destiny. Look we weren’t great against the hawks, but we flew in flew out, played on a ground that the players have never even seen, come off a bye so we were sluggish and a bit rusty.

Win the ball out of the middle and get the ball to the ground in the 50m take away their strengths and play to ours we win by 15, simples!

Does Hibberd follow dusty to stoppages?

Be interesting if stringer wants to go h2h with Oliver but Hibberd wants to get to stringer

He didn’t follow him in round 6, just played on him when he went forward.

For the first time in my life Melbourne can afford to lose clearances and still win the game due to our back 6, I’m super excited for this game. You lot will bring it to us and I’m very keen to see how we respond. Is there anyone that’ll try tagging Oliver or Petracca?

Would of loved to go to this game but being from the country and small crowd amounts not a hope in hell. I think we are a huge chance, firstly I’m not sure about Melbourne yet, look at their run home, tells me they haven’t played much yet.

Nah. We are no guarantee for anything this year but to say we haven’t beaten anyone is silly. 5-0 against the top 8 and haven’t played Port or the Eagles yet.

Truck will dangle the carrot this week about finals is in our own destiny. Look we weren’t great against the hawks, but we flew in flew out, played on a ground that the players have never even seen, come off a bye so we were sluggish and a bit rusty.

Win the ball out of the middle and get the ball to the ground in the 50m take away their strengths and play to ours we win by 15, simples!

50% crowds back in play apparently

They've beaten Geelong, Brisbane, Bulldogs, Richmond and Sydney. Lost to no top 8 sides. Certainly deserve to be the premiership favourites.

For the first time in my life Melbourne can afford to lose clearances and still win the game due to our back 6, I’m super excited for this game. You lot will bring it to us and I’m very keen to see how we respond. Is there anyone that’ll try tagging Oliver or Petracca?

nah we dont tag - good midfielders feast on us!

I expect Stringer will try fend off Oliver or Harmes or Trac like he did the hawk lightweights - itll end in a few early HTB calls and he'll scurry back off to the forward line

We need to be a hell of a lot smarter than last week if we’re a chance. Need to be lowering our eyes i50 & not bombing it down Lever & May’s throats. Hooker & Jones need to create as much separation as possible to keep those two accountable.

Can’t wait to see how big Sammy equips himself against Max.

We need to be a hell of a lot smarter than last week if we’re a chance. Need to be lowering our eyes i50 & not bombing it down Lever & May’s throats. Hooker & Jones need to create as much separation as possible to keep those two accountable.

Can’t wait to see how big Sammy equips himself against Max.

didnt big Max just get beaten by a collingwood nobody?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowered his colours against a duel ruck combo which is something we need to deploy with 2MP chopping out Draper.
2MP will be smashed against Gawn 1 on 1. Need to avoid that happening too much. I wouldnt mind us playing Phillips rather than 2MP but probably right thing to do is to give 2MP some games in a row given he just back from injury. Going to be a hard double for him though against Dees and Cats.

2MP will be smashed against Gawn 1 on 1. Need to avoid that happening too much. I wouldnt mind us playing Phillips rather than 2MP but probably right thing to do is to give 2MP some games in a row given he just back from injury. Going to be a hard double for him though against Dees and Cats.
We need 2MP in the side. Melbourne have the best defence in the league and Wright is a better forward than Phillips is. Draper will shoulder most of the ruck anyway so Wright is the logical choice.

We need 2MP in the side. Melbourne have the best defence in the league and Wright is a better forward than Phillips is. Draper will shoulder most of the ruck anyway so Wright is the logical choice.
I fully expect them to play Wright, but having just checked the stats, Wright is averaging 0.8 goals a game and Philips averages 0.7 goals a game. Whilst 2MP did have some games playing 1st ruck, he has mostly been a forward whereas when Flip plays it is always 1st ruck and he scores as much. Score involvements for the 2 are similar.

I would like to believe in 2MP and we got him for nothing so it barely matters, but he isn't delivering at this stage. Phillips would be a better back up ruck and might do better up forward. I think 2MP deserves a consistent run at it now that he is back from injury but if he doesn't hit the scoreboard a bit more in next say 4 games, it would be good to try Flip up forward.

I fully expect them to play Wright, but having just checked the stats, Wright is averaging 0.8 goals a game and Philips averages 0.7 goals a game. Whilst 2MP did have some games playing 1st ruck, he has mostly been a forward whereas when Flip plays it is always 1st ruck and he scores as much. Score involvements for the 2 are similar.

I would like to believe in 2MP and we got him for nothing so it barely matters, but he isn't delivering at this stage. Phillips would be a better back up ruck and might do better up forward. I think 2MP deserves a consistent run at it now that he is back from injury but if he doesn't hit the scoreboard a bit more in next say 4 games, it would be good to try Flip up forward.
He's had 3 and a half games playing as a solo ruck. Take those out and it's 9 goals in 7 games. He hadn't played in 4 weeks. Phillips has never scored more than 1 goal in a match.

Put it this way. Is Phillips capable of having a game like Wright did vs North? Or even vs Collingwood? I don't believe he can.

Both Phillips and Wright will lose to Gawn anyway. Play the one that has the tools to dominate as a forward.

Langford has been used to tag the opposition at stoppages before but he generally doesn’t put much work in around the ground. Expect he’ll go to Petracca at times but not sure about the full game. Stringer also often mans up the oppositions biggest midfielders at centre bounces.

Not sure there’s much point in tagging Oliver he’s going to get his hands on the footy and his best weapon is his vision by hand. It’s more about being disciplined and not letting him draw two players as he’ll quickly flick it to the free man.

Those two guys are important but I think Melbourne‘s depth is what’ll hurt us. Langdon, Harmes and Jordan all have huge tanks and our midfield is very thin after Merrett & Parish.

He's had 3 and a half games playing as a solo ruck. Take those out and it's 9 goals in 7 games. He hadn't played in 4 weeks. Phillips has never scored more than 1 goal in a match.
Phillips hasn't played as a primary forward either. I'm ok with giving 2MP a run at it now, but he needs to deliver. The main thing is he doesn't really look like he has the desire and mongrel in him. And he is also not very good in the ruck even as just a 2nd ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back