Review Round 15 - Gold Coast @ Sydney

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Maybe Burgess back in, push Luko up the field to Powell's spot.
He's faster and delivers better and can mark
Touk won't be dropped
Who goes out for Corbett?
Feels like Jack Martin goes out for Josh Corbett, but to be honest I think there will be a reshuffle for the Tigers game and I don't know what that will look like. Ellis and Miles should be in the middle to get a chance at showing why they should never have been let go so cheaply - Ellis is an inside mid with the kind of cool head to be able to play in defence and Miles has really been able to open up the field for Swallow and Fiorini. Richmond has a relatively tall defence, but it isn't as good as Sydney's, while as long as somebody can contain Lynch the small to medium Suns defenders ought to have the measure of Richmond's attack. Comes down to mids and speed, so Heron and Murdoch, then you have to be able to score, which is where Corbett comes in.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm no fan of Murdoch but I'd much prefer him going up and down the wing over Powell at the moment
I'm totally open-minded about role-playing;) but someone wuld have to show me the role Wilplays and the metrics of how his performance is rated if he's in the first 5 picked as eppo67 has suggested
That was a bit of an exaggeration. He is highly rated internally though in relation to his attitude and maturity etc. I agree it's time for a rest ATM. We need some bigger mature bodies to protect these kids otherwise we going to see another group of young talent developed poorly and overexposed too early.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That was a bit of an exaggeration. He is highly rated internally though in relation to his attitude and maturity etc. I agree it's time for a rest ATM. We need some bigger mature bodies to protect these kids otherwise we going to see another group of young talent developed poorly and overexposed too early.
Connor Rozee he aint

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Feels like Jack Martin goes out for Josh Corbett, but to be honest I think there will be a reshuffle for the Tigers game and I don't know what that will look like. Ellis and Miles should be in the middle to get a chance at showing why they should never have been let go so cheaply - Ellis is an inside mid with the kind of cool head to be able to play in defence and Miles has really been able to open up the field for Swallow and Fiorini. Richmond has a relatively tall defence, but it isn't as good as Sydney's, while as long as somebody can contain Lynch the small to medium Suns defenders ought to have the measure of Richmond's attack. Comes down to mids and speed, so Heron and Murdoch, then you have to be able to score, which is where Corbett comes in.
In summary
The cupboard is bare

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Most of the turnovers is because of our structure. we literally have no one to kick it to. At best we’re kicking it to Darcy macpherson lines up against 2 swans defenders.

How many intercept marks did they have? Must have been close to 20.

Bitterly disappointed. The first game that I got close to shutting off before the final siren this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not watching the match help me not to give my opinion, sometime it is better to shut up and read the same opinion without reacted to it.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
The thing that makes me worry about Dew is the talk about him not being receptive to players that challenge his views / authority.

I hope that doesn't also imply that he cannot objectively review his own performance / game plan. Someone that cannot analyse and identify flaws in their own approach won't be particularly successful.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
All these players that so call challenge Dew view can't even kick the ball properly in Neafl, yes they do rack up lots of possession in NEAFl but they turn it over as well, if you can't kick or handball the footy in Neafl level, the pressure going to be a lot higher in AFL.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
So Corey Ellis has never had 40 possessions in 2 consecutive games - getting a bit of the pill off half back - his left boot is useful. Thought he was alright again yesterday.

Jesse Joyce is also getting up the field a bit. His short / medium kicking is usually pretty good so having him delivering forward of the wing could be beneficial.

Brad Scheer did a good job on Jake lloyd - I'm just not sure I see him as an AFL player. The kick is off, he's decent in tight but not at a level where he I think he can be a pure inside player. He is not dynamic or athletic. Honestly, at an absolute best a Jed Anderson lite. I'm up for giving him a run for the rest of the year to give him a chance as a midfielder - it's not fair to play him forward. It took Jed until age 24 to become a decent player so got hope for Scheery yet. Just not sure I really believe it will happen.

We just don't have the class. That Jack Martin snap, 30 metres out on the right boot is as routine as they come. 100% guarantee Luke Parker kicks it, Tom Papley kicks it, Will Hayward kicks it.

Also interesting that Sydneys mids spend a much larger proportion of the game on field.
Time on ground %
- Parker 91
- Hewett 93
- Heeney 90
- Kennedy 76
- Jones 76
- Florent 91

- Swallow 85
- Miles 79
- Macpherson 76
- Fiorini 78
- Brodie 72
- Martin 72

IS that because they are more versatile and rest forward, or are they just fitter.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
From the trade thread
Geez that loss to the Swans was really deflating. Finding it hard to stay positive for the future. Like Alir said after the game, you know we are always going to get overrun eventually.
Yes
Weaker teams like us are always a chance early season if you bring effort like we did because the other teams aiming for finals might only be 80% through their season preparation
Totally unsurprising that we are where we are but no less frustrating and disappointing for that
The positives from this year are Lukosius King Ballard MacPherson and Weller's continued improvement in that they have all gone up a level IMO.
The younger guys going from Junior football to being comfortable at AFL level and Darcy Mac and Lachy improving a level at least
A decent cheapie pickup in Burgess and useful players in Hombsch and Miles
Swallow Witts Harbrow please do not get injured
Jury is out on Rankine of course
I was actually pleased with 2MPs game yesterday
We will end up with pick 1 and probably pick 12-14 in the NPD
What we do with them is anyone's guess but is it possible Suns recruiters to get one of those 18yo ready to fire out of the box the other teams seem to find after pick 10 every year?
btw Jack Martin just makes me want to cry

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Could have been a lot worse.
Could have been a lot better.

In either case, a clear gap in current day class in the midfield. Makes it very hard to play well for long periods when the ball keeps going inside the wrong 50.

We are very one-paced in the midfield atm with Miles, Miller, Brodie and Fiorini. Suspect if we had more options, only 2 out of those 4 would be playing in the midfield.

Still, should be easier next week when we play........Richmond?

Lukosious looked really good though. Excellent. A good spot for him atm until we get a better midfield.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Time on ground %
- Parker 91
- Hewett 93
- Heeney 90
- Kennedy 76
- Jones 76
- Florent 91

- Swallow 85
- Miles 79
- Macpherson 76
- Fiorini 78
- Brodie 72
- Martin 72

IS that because they are more versatile and rest forward, or are they just fitter.
They have 60L tanks compared to our 50L tanks
I also noticed Sexton in the middle too at times so we're probably trying to share a lot more workload
What a warrior Dave Swallow is

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Could have been a lot worse.
Could have been a lot better.

In either case, a clear gap in current day class in the midfield. Makes it very hard to play well for long periods when the ball keeps going inside the wrong 50.

We are very one-paced in the midfield atm with Miles, Miller, Brodie and Fiorini. Suspect if we had more options, only 2 out of those 4 would be playing in the midfield.

Still, should be easier next week when we play........Richmond?

Lukosious looked really good though. Excellent. A good spot for him atm until we get a better midfield.
Richmond got six from the best 10 back for today's game. Basically only missing Rance, Nankervis and Riewoldt from the best 22.

I am a bit surprised that we don't play more Weller in midfield. Hanley can also play there. Both would add outside speed, drive.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Richmond got six from the best 10 back for today's game. Basically only missing Rance, Nankervis and Riewoldt from the best 22.

I am a bit surprised that we don't play more Weller in midfield. Hanley can also play there. Both would add outside speed, drive.
Weller needs to playing midfield but at the moment we dont have the cattle down back either so lachie is stuck playing there

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Weller needs to playing midfield but at the moment we dont have the cattle down back either so lachie is stuck playing there
In my opinion our defence is doing really well considering we mostly lose midfield battle and they are constantly under enormous pressure. We need to improve midfield spread, run. Just for me I would put Weller and Hanley mostly in midfield. I think we got enough cattle in defence even without them. Run from Harbrow, Murdoch, kicks from Joyce, Lukosius. Ballard is playing well. Ellis looks like he can play there too. Collins coming back soon should help to deal with big bodies.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In my opinion our defence is doing really well considering we mostly lose midfield battle and they are constantly under enormous pressure. We need to improve midfield spread, run. Just for me I would put Weller and Hanley mostly in midfield. I think we got enough cattle in defence even without them. Run from Harbrow, Murdoch, kicks from Joyce, Lukosius. Ballard is playing well. Ellis looks like he can play there too. Collins coming back soon should help to deal with big bodies.
Our defence has been terrific
We average about 65 points a match :(
So if there's been games we're in for long periods it's simply been down to our defence stopping the opposition scoring

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Going forward needs to be a priority next year.

Our defense does a great job with the amount of ball they need to deal with. They will be better with Rory back next year as well.

Our midfield needs some serious work. Clean ball users who can hit someone on the lead. At least 2 quality mids required, plus Rowell in there as another lad who is ready to go. We already have our X-factor attacking player in Rankine, we need to pick up the sure thing.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Going forward needs to be a priority next year.

Our defense does a great job with the amount of ball they need to deal with. They will be better with Rory back next year as well.

Our midfield needs some serious work. Clean ball users who can hit someone on the lead. At least 2 quality mids required, plus Rowell in there as another lad who is ready to go. We already have our X-factor attacking player in Rankine, we need to pick up the sure thing.
Honestly would rather trade pick 1 for multiple first round picks. For example this year, I'd rather a haul of Rozee, Butters and Duursma > Walsh

We just need to get as much quality through the door as possible.

As good as Rowell is, our midfield will be tiny if it consists of Macpherson, Rowell, Ainsworth, Miles and Touk. Need outside speed and taller mids

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Honestly would rather trade pick 1 for multiple first round picks. For example this year, I'd rather a haul of Rozee, Butters and Duursma > Walsh

We just need to get as much quality through the door as possible.
Going to have to cut more as well. I know we're worst/second worst team but if we go big in the draft then it's going to be hard to cut players besides the obvious ones. Holman still isn't even on the senior list!

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Going to have to cut more as well. I know we're worst/second worst team but if we go big in the draft then it's going to be hard to cut players besides the obvious ones. Holman still isn't even on the senior list!
Delist/trade/rookie:
Nutting - delist/rookie
GHS - rookie
Nicholls - trade/delist
Leslie - delist/trade
Schoenfeld - delist/rookie
Graham - rookie
Wigg - delist
Rischitelli - delist
Dawson - delist
Fletcher - delist

Back