Preview Round 15, GWS Giants vs Geelong Cats, Saturday 1st July, 7.25pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong fans are using the injury card. Im not sure how ignorant people can be.
Footy clubs are full of fans that have stuff all knowledge of another teams list state, they don't care because it's not their team.
Fantasy footy has done a bit to change that, but there will always be the ignorants :)

I enjoyed your pre-match arrogance. Look forward to the return leg ... In Victoria.

Good luck boys. :thumbsu:
Geelong fan accusing another club of arrogance?? Well if that isn't the height of irony & hypocrisy I don't know what is, given your team is led by Selwood & Scott - two of the most entitled sooks in football history.

GWS were incredibly brave tonight and would've won but for Geelong receiving their usual dose of umpiring favoritism. Sheesh when was the last time you muppets won a game without one of Clangerfield or Duckwood dominating?? Cats will be found out in September when genuine team efforts are required to win Premierships and I for one cannot wait to watch it unfold. ;):thumbsu:

Giants are still my tip for this year's flag. The only team that can stop them is themselves.

Similar thoughts to many other posters. Gutted for TOJ. Disappointed in how we played, happy that we fought back, disappointed that we allowed them to escape with a draw in the end.

I have been disappointed in our 'nearly great' playing this season. In many games, we've looked great in patches, but not 4 quarters. In some of the poor patches, we've had great passages of play spoilt by the poor kick/handpass, fumble, or wrong option at some point. More of that tonight. Stevie J kicking for goal when he had two players open to kick to. One counterattack out of the backline where we fumbled something like 5 or 6 handpasses - still got it inside 50, but allowed the defenders time to swarm and man up. Scully's missed goal from in front near the end that would have put us a goal up. Reid's missed mark on the boundary in that last 2 minutes. Some of that was even more basic skill errors than we've seen before - no wonder Leon was really flat in the post game interview.

Yes we had plenty of outs - Greene & Zac plus Cogs' continuing absence certainly hurt us - but Geelong away with their injuries is a definite missed opportunity for us. Haynes looked really good in the backline tonight, so his run last week certainly helped. Kelly wasn't quite as influential as normal and Lobb was missing for 3/4 of the game, so hopefully they'll be better next week for this run. Our midfield is the worry for me, though. For as well as Ward, Shiel & Kelly usually play, we never seem to get them all on fire at once, and really struggle to contain opposition midfields. Without Selwood tonight, Danger & Menegola stepped up - GWS seems to lack that killer ability to put other (good) midfields to the sword. And we're still suffering an inability to stop other teams getting that quick counterattack from inside the GWS forward 50.

TOJ will be out for a while, Sam Reid struggled after his early injury - wouldn't be surprised if he's out for next week as well. The injury toll continues to mount. If so, hopefully Toby & Zac are fit and would come straight back in. The others under the microscope would be Lloyd, de Boer & Matt Kennedy. Setterfield would be pushing pretty hard for a spot - so maybe push Kennedy up forward as a tackling medium forward for Lloyd and Setterfield to get some midfield time. Although a debut in Tasmania isn't probably the best for him or his family, but we probably don't have the luxury of waiting until a home game given the situation.

Reckon Patton has pretty much arrived now. Just has to believe in his ability and he'll end up in the league of Jonathon Brown. I am more flat about TOJ than I am about a draw.
I think that also underlines why we should be doing better. He's a great tall forward coming into great form, and he's not the one leading the Coleman. That guy Lobb goes ok too.
Awful luck for Finlayson, a real test of character now. It's a cruel game at times.

I think that also underlines why we should be doing better. He's a great tall forward coming into great form, and he's not the one leading the Coleman. That guy Lobb goes ok too.
Awful luck for Finlayson, a real test of character now. It's a cruel game at times.
Lobb had a great 5 mins in the 4th quarter and thats it.

Hopefully he and Smith are better for the run and will be all guns blazing next week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lobb had a great 5 mons in the 4th quarter and thats it.

Hopefully he and Smith are better for the run and will be all guns blazing next week.

Wasn't that bad to my eye. He did what he's supposed to do in providing a contest around the ground. Wasn't his best game for sure, but I was speaking more generally. Apart from the Crows and pissobly the Bombers no one has close to the depth of quality in tall forwards we do. In my opinion of course.

Wasn't that bad to my eye. He did what he's supposed to do in providing a contest around the ground. Wasn't his best game for sure, but I was speaking more generally. Apart from the Crows and pissobly the Bombers no one has close to the depth of quality in tall forwards we do. In my opinion of course.
We are loaded with talls absolutely.

Just think we were really flat. The passing (both with kicks and handballs) was 2013 levels.

Lobb had a great 5 mins in the 4th quarter and thats it.

Nick Haynes done nuthin last week and then came out and blitzed it last night. Hopefully that 5 minutes in the last will springboard Lobb into next week.

Didn't think Dev was that bad to be honest

We are loaded with talls absolutely.

Just think we were really flat. The passing (both with kicks and handballs) was 2013 levels.

I think we're still a bit at cross purposes, I wasn't referring specifically to last nights game. Lobb will get better as long as he's physically sorted, I have no doubt.
The incident Giant Strides mentioned where we moved the ball making half a dozen skill errors and recovering after each one sticks in my mind. The other was I think the third qtr where the Orange Tsunami was back but we missed the goal.
At the end of the day it's a draw and we need to improve. I think the capacity is there, but July is the time to put it together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar thoughts to many other posters. Gutted for TOJ. Disappointed in how we played, happy that we fought back, disappointed that we allowed them to escape with a draw in the end.

I have been disappointed in our 'nearly great' playing this season. In many games, we've looked great in patches, but not 4 quarters. In some of the poor patches, we've had great passages of play spoilt by the poor kick/handpass, fumble, or wrong option at some point. More of that tonight. Stevie J kicking for goal when he had two players open to kick to. One counterattack out of the backline where we fumbled something like 5 or 6 handpasses - still got it inside 50, but allowed the defenders time to swarm and man up. Scully's missed goal from in front near the end that would have put us a goal up. Reid's missed mark on the boundary in that last 2 minutes. Some of that was even more basic skill errors than we've seen before - no wonder Leon was really flat in the post game interview.

Yes we had plenty of outs - Greene & Zac plus Cogs' continuing absence certainly hurt us - but Geelong away with their injuries is a definite missed opportunity for us. Haynes looked really good in the backline tonight, so his run last week certainly helped. Kelly wasn't quite as influential as normal and Lobb was missing for 3/4 of the game, so hopefully they'll be better next week for this run. Our midfield is the worry for me, though. For as well as Ward, Shiel & Kelly usually play, we never seem to get them all on fire at once, and really struggle to contain opposition midfields. Without Selwood tonight, Danger & Menegola stepped up - GWS seems to lack that killer ability to put other (good) midfields to the sword. And we're still suffering an inability to stop other teams getting that quick counterattack from inside the GWS forward 50.

TOJ will be out for a while, Sam Reid struggled after his early injury - wouldn't be surprised if he's out for next week as well. The injury toll continues to mount. If so, hopefully Toby & Zac are fit and would come straight back in. The others under the microscope would be Lloyd, de Boer & Matt Kennedy. Setterfield would be pushing pretty hard for a spot - so maybe push Kennedy up forward as a tackling medium forward for Lloyd and Setterfield to get some midfield time. Although a debut in Tasmania isn't probably the best for him or his family, but we probably don't have the luxury of waiting until a home game given the situation.

Had some money on GWS against Geel given their injuries and the likelyhood of Selwood missing. I have also been accumulating some bets on GWS to win the flag given the teams in the 8 aren't that good (Ade, Port etc) and with a full list they should be well ahead of the opposition. I was, however, speculating that this week with Kelly, Lobb and Smith in and a good win over Bris that GWS would show Geel up for being pretenders.

I'm somewhat concerned now. Geel had an awful team in with both Selwoods out, Menzel, Horlin-Smith and others plus two debutants. Obviously GWS have had a terrible run with injuries, but on paper playing at home they should have won easily. GWS midfield consisted of Ward, Shiel, Kelly, Whitfield, Mumford, Scully and co. That's a massive advantage over Smith, Danger, Blicavs, Menegola, Guthrie and Murdoch.

GWS hasn't impressed virtually at all over the last 2 months except for the great win against WC. Is there something structurally wrong or is it personnel in and out or is something "missing"? There seemed to be an over abundance of skill errors and slipping over last night. I'm also getting the impression that Shaw and Stevie J look old and slow although their footy smarts serve them well at times.

Credit though to Geel and especially their defense and setup. Their zone was outstanding.

Had some money on GWS against Geel given their injuries and the likelyhood of Selwood missing. I have also been accumulating some bets on GWS to win the flag given the teams in the 8 aren't that good (Ade, Port etc) and with a full list they should be well ahead of the opposition. I was, however, speculating that this week with Kelly, Lobb and Smith in and a good win over Bris that GWS would show Geel up for being pretenders.

I'm somewhat concerned now. Geel had an awful team in with both Selwoods out, Menzel, Horlin-Smith and others plus two debutants. Obviously GWS have had a terrible run with injuries, but on paper playing at home they should have won easily. GWS midfield consisted of Ward, Shiel, Kelly, Whitfield, Mumford, Scully and co. That's a massive advantage over Smith, Danger, Blicavs, Menegola, Guthrie and Murdoch.

GWS hasn't impressed virtually at all over the last 2 months except for the great win against WC. Is there something structurally wrong or is it personnel in and out or is something "missing"? There seemed to be an over abundance of skill errors and slipping over last night. I'm also getting the impression that Shaw and Stevie J look old and slow although their footy smarts serve them well at times.

Credit though to Geel and especially their defense and setup. Their zone was outstanding.
When you are on top of the ladder, people are going to say you can't complain. However, the reality is true that no one else is dominating and we are finding was to win the close ones...generally. There is certainly something lacking across the group. The injury list is a factor for sure, but with our depth I think it impacts as much in percieved pressure as much as lack of talent or cohesion on the park. So, it makes me wonder whether percieved pressure is the thing that is causing us to be that 20% off. The great season we had last year adds weight of expectation on our generally young group of guns. This is a test for all players and coaching group. They need to balance the game plan against getting the players out there to just play their natural style. Patton is showing the way here.

On Shaw and Stevie J, we have our concerns. Stevie J is holding on by his fingernails. Shaw is starting to show some signs of slowing down too. With him though it is mental agility I worry about. He is still very quick across the ground, having no trouble leaving his man to close on an opponent to spoil or tackle. When under pressure himself though, he makes some ordinary decisions at times. So, maybe this is perceived pressure again? Who knows.

You're right there, and I'd say there seems to be an aggregation of things. With all of the injury toll, we've rushed some guys back straight away, so I think that there's a few guys playing not quite 100% each game - and when we keep losing guys, it keeps repeating. Smith & Lobb back after extended time out this week, didn't play to their best. Kelly with only a week out had less excuse, but was also below his best. Add in the losses of Greene, Williams & Coniglio, we were missing an attacking spine. The big disappointment of last night were the basic skill errors and the slipping. Didn't wear their proper studs - which would be a coaching directive miss? It happened too many times in both attack and defence; and while both teams suffered, GWS was substantially worse. But we also handpassed and kicked straight to Geelong too many times - those turnovers really hurt us. I think most posters on here agree that Stevie J is looking old - and his fumbles and poor options have certainly cost us many times this year. Heater has certainly been down on his AA form of the last two years, but not to Stevie J's level. Other than that, I don't know. A bit of attitude perhaps? Not sure if we're overconfident or underconfident? I don't agree with some assessments of 'playing as individuals' - there has been a few instances yes but it's not all down to that. More that some basic skills have let us down, so perhaps trying too hard to hit the gameplan and not having a Plan B? Or is it, as GT has just said, the pressure brought by other teams against the supposed 'flag favourites' or even perceived pressure to succeed by what is still generally a young group. The only upside is that GWS has managed to win most close games, so we're still right in the mix, and if LC can work it out before finals, we're still in with a great chance.

Last edited:
You're right there, and I'd say there seems to be an aggregation of things. With all of the injury toll, we've rushed some guys back straight away, so I think that there's a few guys playing not quite 100% each game - and when we keep losing guys, it keeps repeating. Smith & Lobb back after extended time out this week, didn't play to their best. Kelly with only a week out had less excuse, but was also below his best. Add in the losses of Greene, Williams & Coniglio, we were missing an attacking spine. The big disappointment of last night were the basic skill errors and the slipping. Didn't wear their proper studs - which would be a coaching directive miss? It happened too many times in both attack and defence; and while both teams suffered, GWS was substantially worse. But we also handpassed and kicked straight to Geelong too many times - those turnovers really hurt us. I think most posters on here agree that Stevie J is looking old - and his fumbles and poor options have certainly cost us many times this year. Heater has certainly been down on his AA form of the last two years, but not to Stevie J's level. Other than that, I don't know. A bit of attitude perhaps? Not sure if we're overconfident or underconfident? I don't agree with some assessments of 'playing as individuals' - there has been a few instances yes but it's not all down to that. More that some basic skills have let us down, so perhaps trying too hard to hit the gameplan and not having a Plan B? Or is it, as GT has just said, the pressure brought by other teams against the supposed 'flag favourites' or even perceived pressure to succeed by what is still generally a young group. The only upside is that GWS has managed to win most close games, so we're still right in the mix, and if LC can work it out before finals, we're still in with a great chance.
Yes I agree with all of this. Smith and Lobb looked underdone and the continual in and outs of players no doubt will hurt team cohesion.

I'm not sure if players are playing as individuals but there does seem to be a bit of arm waving when they goes wrong.

Personally I think Coniglio is a big miss and you might have too many skillful outside runners and perhaps not enough grunt. however, you look at the team playing on Saturday night and it's full of stars so the game should have been won. So something is def. missing i'm just not sure exactly what it is.

I wonder if GWS has a Plan B. Without Wilson for run and Greene as a flat out match winner Geel played the game on their terms and dictated proceedings with their excellent zone defense.

Anyway got some money on GWS for the flag so hoping you get some players back soon and build for the finals!

I wonder if GWS has a Plan B. Without Wilson for run and Greene as a flat out match winner Geel played the game on their terms and dictated proceedings with their excellent zone defense.

Do you know something we don't? We don't want Wilson out as well as Williams!

Don't worry; when the paid commentators are calling Lachie Whitfield "Plowman" in their commentary, we can cut spectators some slack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back