Preview Round 15 - Swans v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - he is really looking the goods. Just keep him eating and in the gym for now I guess.
Fox is also back and could come in. While obviously not half the player JPK is the period he played and JPK didn't saw us moving the ball a lot better with Florent spending more time inside and just generally more speed and movement in the midfield while Parker and Hewett held it down on the inside.
It could be time for JPK to go and learn to coach on a 1 + 1 deal somewhere at the end of the year. (A new 2 year deal it is then?).

IN: Grassy, McCartin
OUT: Buddy, Melican't. (Sinkers to play forward, McCartin back)
Felt like that was Melican's best performance of the season. Can't remember him being beaten and he provided a good amount of spread out of defence at times.

Yep - he is really looking the goods. Just keep him eating and in the gym for now I guess.
Fox is also back and could come in. While obviously not half the player JPK is the period he played and JPK didn't saw us moving the ball a lot better with Florent spending more time inside and just generally more speed and movement in the midfield while Parker and Hewett held it down on the inside.
It could be time for JPK to go and learn to coach on a 1 + 1 deal somewhere at the end of the year. (A new 2 year deal it is then?).

I would say that Grassy is very much a "project" in NEAFL for the season.

Great preview Olian!

I disagree with your INs/OUTs here mikey.

Have managed to watch the NEAFL the last few rounds... No way should Knoll get a nod IMO. At a significant height advantage against a 2nd choice Ruck and he seemed to struggle still. Had very poor placement of his hitouts, looked out of sync and not up to speed. I don't think he contributed too greatly around the ground either. Can see his value but reckon he'll need more time to learn the zones etc IMO.

On the other hand, Cameron being pulled from the NEAFL indicates to me they were saving him in case he was required for senior selection this week should Sinkers not get up... I think he should get a gig and Sinkers should be given a week off in any event. Cal has been a workhorse since Naisy went down and I think a rest would do him (& us) good... Give Cameron a crack at first ruck for a few weeks. Give him the ultimatum & chance to prove his worth. If he is indeed looking elsewhere due to external interest (as is rumour) then it's his chance (& ours) to push his value up. If he plays well, perhaps the club sits down and re-negotiates something too. What is there to lose really?

Melican will also be required this week. The Suns have a very tall and mobile forward line and Melican (our tallest defender I believe) is going to be needed IMO. Also, no point in dropping a KPD for a few sloppy disposals. He was trying hard and pushing to the right spots. His effort and decision making seemed to me to be ok, execution was a bit off. Dropping him won't help that IMO. He needs AFL level exposure to improve that side of his game. I'd also be loathed to put MCCartin back. I don't want to see another Jesse White/Sam Reid type "throw the kid all over the place as he is developing" deal. McCartin should be played forward and settled into 1 role (initially) IMO.

Speaking of Hayward and Ollie for that matter, they look so young to me I'd expect both to get excited by Easter Egg Hunts and to be up before dawn on Xmas morning.

I have the feeling the Hayward kiddo is due a big one. I think he'll kick four.

Had he not had the yips most of the year he would’ve already had a few bags of four!

Knoll is way to green to be considered, if Sinkers doesn't get up then hopefully Cameron is fit. Just the chance he's been waiting for.

Other than ruck, McCartin for Buddy is obvious, Rowbottom should be given another go if anyone else is dropped.

Had he not had the yips most of the year he would’ve already had a few bags of four!

He's had a testing year. Busted jaw and calf have been challenges, but he is coming through it ok.

Then there's the Menzel dilemma. I thought he was still OK in general play, snuck a goal out the back but he definitely looked a little slow when defending. Not setting the world on fire but with Bud out it might help to keep him in.

He's had a testing year. Busted jaw and calf have been challenges, but he is coming through it ok.

Yep but despite all that I really think it’s just his goalkicking. He’s kicked 11.12. Nearly all of those behinds have been very gettable shots that he would typically nail in his first two seasons where he was arguably our best sharpshooter. Let’s say he nails three quarters of those behinds, and he’s kicked 19 goals for the year in 9 games. That would be huge.

That’s how fine the line is between him having an excellent season as opposed to the decent season he’s having. Just needs to start getting some reward for himself

Great preview Olian!

I disagree with your INs/OUTs here mikey.

Have managed to watch the NEAFL the last few rounds... No way should Knoll get a nod IMO. At a significant height advantage against a 2nd choice Ruck and he seemed to struggle still. Had very poor placement of his hitouts, looked out of sync and not up to speed. I don't think he contributed too greatly around the ground either. Can see his value but reckon he'll need more time to learn the zones etc IMO.

On the other hand, Cameron being pulled from the NEAFL indicates to me they were saving him in case he was required for senior selection this week should Sinkers not get up... I think he should get a gig and Sinkers should be given a week off in any event. Cal has been a workhorse since Naisy went down and I think a rest would do him (& us) good... Give Cameron a crack at first ruck for a few weeks. Give him the ultimatum & chance to prove his worth. If he is indeed looking elsewhere due to external interest (as is rumour) then it's his chance (& ours) to push his value up. If he plays well, perhaps the club sits down and re-negotiates something too. What is there to lose really?

Melican will also be required this week. The Suns have a very tall and mobile forward line and Melican (our tallest defender I believe) is going to be needed IMO. Also, no point in dropping a KPD for a few sloppy disposals. He was trying hard and pushing to the right spots. His effort and decision making seemed to me to be ok, execution was a bit off. Dropping him won't help that IMO. He needs AFL level exposure to improve that side of his game. I'd also be loathed to put MCCartin back. I don't want to see another Jesse White/Sam Reid type "throw the kid all over the place as he is developing" deal. McCartin should be played forward and settled into 1 role (initially) IMO.
All fair points.
I thought Cameron was already out the door. I mean we've picked up two extra rucks without giving him a crack this year so....Isn't he free to sign wherever?
IDK the rules on him or his status given the lack of games.
I'll bow to your knowledge on NEAFL form - I only checked Grassy's numbers and they looked ok to me (39 HO and 13 disposals). I'd be ok with someone just winning us the taps - but I still think he'd lay a couple of tackles and take a couple of marks.

McCartin looks good wherever you play him - if I had a choice of one role to settle him in it would be down back right now. Melican has struggled to keep up with a lead since his return from injury IMO. Can totally see McC being an easy and likely in for Buddy though.

Sinkers will play I bet. There's no medical reason to keep him out unless he is showing further symptoms during the week. I'd just love to see him up forward a lot more. Maybe next year with Ryder in the team.

I'll bow to your knowledge on NEAFL form - I only checked Grassy's numbers and they looked ok to me (39 HO and 13 disposals). I'd be ok with someone just winning us the taps - but I still think he'd lay a couple of tackles and take a couple of marks.
The main ruck he was up against was Alex Paech (former GWS Academy). He normally plays full back for them (from what I can tell) and is 196cm. The other was Luke Jamieson who is a former NBL basketballer in his first season and is 199cm.

So Knoll had a 9cm advantage over one and 6cm over a former NBL player playing his first season of Aussie Rules.

He would get lost in the pace of AFL football at the moment. I am not totally sold Cameron would fare much better, but I do feel he would be a better option right now.

I think Sinclair will get up anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then there's the Menzel dilemma. I thought he was still OK in general play, snuck a goal out the back but he definitely looked a little slow when defending. Not setting the world on fire but with Bud out it might help to keep him in.

menzel was great early when we attacked, has work to do, but i think he stays a few weeks to develop, theres X factor

melican has to stop giving his opponent so much space, he loses his opponent easily imo

lloyd is a liability as a defender, still want to see him freed up a bit the ground, teams want him one on one, he couldn't defend against kenny one on one

JPK definitely looked sore to me. Why does our Club drive our good players into the ground?

I would give Josh the week off. He and Buddy can sit in the Box with McVeigh. The lack of room might force Longmire to the bench, where he coaches better anyway.

Clarke will be kept to tag Touk.

Of course JPK will play. I just do not believe it smart.

Agree with the comments about keeping Melican. Thought he was ok against the Dawks. So barring injury to others the only change will be McCartin for Franklin

menzel was great early when we attacked, has work to do, but i think he stays a few weeks to develop, theres X factor

Geebers Mr The King. I thought he was just ok. His knee problems have clearly diminished his speed and agility. He's a smart player but as for "X Factor", that supposed attribute led to Rohan playing 100+ largely uninspiring games for us.

Melican needs as much time as possible to learn this year and strengthen after his injury. Played well on Fri, had a few slips but also provided some great attacking kicks from the back. Calls for his axing I don't get in a year when we should put time into the future.

Geebers Mr The King. I thought he was just ok. His knee problems have clearly diminished his speed and agility. He's a smart player but as for "X Factor", that supposed attribute led to Rohan playing 100+ largely uninspiring games for us.

fair point

i meant give menzel one or two more games, not a new contract

probably too wowed by menzel to papley to buddy

Melican needs as much time as possible to learn this year and strengthen after his injury. Played well on Fri, had a few slips but also provided some great attacking kicks from the back. Calls for his axing I don't get in a year when we should put time into the future.

think you are right, bet the reviews are all about highlighting areas to lift

we aren't flush with alternatives either

We're 97 games away from that point. He's played three games and he's 27, give him some time and we'll know pretty quickly whether he'll be any good for us or not, unlike Rohan who it was a constant waiting game with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back