Preview Round 15 - Swans v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the changes do make sense, but you've got to be careful when you're on the right side of momentum like we are currently. Too many changes could mess with how the side is meshing. We've lost Franklin already so that's a significant deficit to replace him with McCartin (he's the obvious replacement of course) but two inexperienced players for two experienced players (granted they weren't providing heaps) makes me think we might find it a little harder this weekend than expected. I think we'll win, but I'm expecting lesser form this week than we've seen lately.

I would've stuck with Menzel over Ronke. Partly because I thought he was not far away from better seniors form but also our forward line is just so young without both him and Bud. Another senior head up front would be more valuable than what Ronke will provide in all likelihood imo.

Last edited:
Dud afl player

Better than a normal footy hack yeah but not up to the level

Pyke improved his disposal with a lot of work. Clarke is still young and has the chance to really work at it.

I think the changes do make sense, but you've got to be careful when you're on the right side of momentum like we are currently. Too many changes could mess with how the side is meshing. We've lost Franklin already so that's a significant deficit to replace him with McCartin (he's the obvious replacement of course) but two inexperienced players for two experienced players (granted they weren't providing heaps) makes me think we might find it a little harder this weekend than expected. I think we'll win, but I'm expecting lesser form this week than we've seen lately.

I would've stuck with Menzel over Ronke. Partly because I thought he was not far away from better seniors form but also our forward line is just so young without both him and Bud. Another senior head up front would be more valuable than what Ronke will provide in all likelihood imo.
Ronke is an upgrade over Menzel on current form. You'd back both players to kick a goal and setup a goal but you'd back Ronke to apply more defensive pressure keeping it in our 50.

Ronke is an upgrade over Menzel on current form. You'd back both players to kick a goal and setup a goal but you'd back Ronke to apply more defensive pressure keeping it in our 50.

Dunno Ronke's form is all that much better than Menzel's. And I think Menzel will get better the longer he's in the senior side. Ronke has a long way to go before I think of him as more than one of the more bizarre flashes in the pan.

Pyke improved his disposal with a lot of work. Clarke is still young and has the chance to really work at it.
Gotta say I thought Pyke was easily the worst player who made it to AFL level initially. Couldn't understand why we kept on with him, but after his first season at AFL level he really made a difference. Proved me wrong and I felt like he was one of the best rucks in the comp.

Still plenty of time for Clarke to improve

It is certainly a quicker team, albeit with decreased scoring power.

I think the game is an interesting test. There is no way we blow the GoCo away. Think we should win but it will be tight. Stewie will be be enjoying preparations for the game. A loss for us would be devestating, as any loss is, but it may affect what we offer the current Coach.

That's true, but a couple of things working against Clarke:

1. Pyke played a position where skill wasn't as crucial as Clarke's. Pyke only got a shot at a contract coming from where he came from because he was tall and athletic and could play in the ruck. That he managed to make something of himself is remarkable, but Clarke's skill has to be significantly better than the expectations of Pyke

2. Clarke has played footy his entire life and it appears two things have been constant: he can win the ball (big positive) but his disposal is bad (big negative). I wonder if he may have hit his ceiling. Ìt's always been his issue and it never seems to have improved (granted, he's still young). Pyke came in at the very bottom of his skill trajectory, the only way to go was up from there. I'm not sure how much improvement Clarke has left in him, considering this appears to have been his issue his whole footy life. I'm not writing him off, but man, I'll be very impressed if he develops his skill and decision-making enough to be a consistent AFL player. If he does, he'll be very valuable because his tackling and running are excellent.

It is certainly a quicker team, albeit with decreased scoring power.

I think the game is an interesting test. There is no way we blow the GoCo away. Think we should win but it will be tight. Stewie will be be enjoying preparations for the game. A loss for us would be devestating, as any loss is, but it may affect what we offer the current Coach.

I agree it will be tight, but I think in the same way Clarkson's normal tricks didn't work as they used to last weekend, I have a feeling Dew's knowledge of the Swans might be not as useful anymore considering how much the side has changed even since he left, and how we've altered how we play. There have been big changes since Dew left which might limit his insider knowledge a bit.

That’s fine but he should be doing that in the NEAFL not at AFL level! Should play in the NEAFL for 6 weeks

they had to drop Clarke before he got Olly Florent killed with one of his hospital handpasses.
Hope they throw Row Row Row yr Bottom into the midfield so we get a good look at him. Has shown glimpses in the FP but is clearly not a small forward.
Also looking forward to watching Izak Rankine play his first senior game, see what all the fuss is about.

I like the team that is going out. Nothing will put players more on edge and eager to perform than a mass dropping of players...OK, maybe this isn't a mass dropping but Horse is definitely sending a message out to the team. Underperform and you will be gone. Perform in the NEAFL and you will be promoted. Hopefully it will bring an edge to the players and we kick another 100+ points.

Would love to see Papley run riot and get his goal tally up a lot. Also very happy to see McCartin in as he think he has huge potential if he is given a chance. Very excited to go to the game this weekend!

I like the changes against another young side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno Ronke's form is all that much better than Menzel's. And I think Menzel will get better the longer he's in the senior side. Ronke has a long way to go before I think of him as more than one of the more bizarre flashes in the pan.

Ronkes game in the NEAFL last week was easily his best this year. Gave pressure and a contest throughout the four quarters.

The change with Menzel doesn’t surprise me. I said last year when his recruitment was put forward that I thought it would be him or Hayward, not both, so I am not surprised.

Buddy aside, I like the mix of talls and small with this lineup a lot more.

they had to drop Clarke before he got Olly Florent killed with one of his hospital handpasses.
Hope they throw Row Row Row yr Bottom into the midfield so we get a good look at him. Has shown glimpses in the FP but is clearly not a small forward.
Also looking forward to watching Izak Rankine play his first senior game, see what all the fuss is about.

Seriously.......must we persist with these nicknames that sound like they've been created in some knitting circle?

If we must use elongated plays on his surname can I suggest "Paddleyerass" or something a little more "footy"?

Perhaps "Paddle" for short?

Seriously.......must we persist with these nicknames that sound like they've been created in some knitting circle?

If we must use elongated plays on his surname can I suggest "Paddleyerass" or something a little more "footy"?

Perhaps "Paddle" for short?

C'mon young BfB. I love nicknames and enjoy other folk coming up with their own. It is one of the few decent Oz traditions I like. Fondness is expressed through the nickname.

FWIW, I liked your crack at it. Lighten up comrade BfB. Enjoy the whimsy. We don't all have to be a flinty Bedford.

That’s fine but he should be doing that in the NEAFL not at AFL level! Should play in the NEAFL for 6 weeks
6? Not 5 or 7 or 4 or 8? 6 is the one you plucked from the sky hey? I'd like to know why you came up with that magic number considering there's no validation for it.

6? Not 5 or 7 or 4 or 8? 6 is the one you plucked from the sky hey? I'd like to know why you came up with that magic number considering there's no validation for it.

I need it! I was pulling my hair out watching his disposals!

That's on him! Maybe if he had a look at the bench every couple minutes.....
He was right not to leave the ground in that instance, he was where the play was. A runner would only have gone out there and said ‘get off as soon as you can’!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back