Review Round 15 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad luck with yesterday's game, was a ripper for the first 3 quarters. Love watching wet weather footy, even if the Dogs usually aren't very good in it. Have to say Hartlett played the best game I've ever seen from him, while Lycett, Boak and Byrne-Jones were all rock solid. Rozee is looking even better than I thought he would. Despite not seeing a huge amount of ball, he really made his presence felt, just seemed to be everywhere.

Out of curiosity, what has happened with Wines? Was a little worried about the impact he'd have prior to the game, but it almost felt like he wasn't even on the field. Seems to have dropped massively this season. Is it just form, or is he carrying injury?

Dear Members and Supporters,

With 30 seconds left on the clock last Saturday night…as we rose as one to applaud our team for its tough, gritty win against a fancied opponent, it once again felt as it should.
We played a hard, physical, committed brand of footy.
Far from perfect, but full of intent.

The signs are there.
The new game plan is taking shape.
Contested footy, clearances and forward pressure. All well up on last year.
The young backs are holding up (top 8 scores against).
And we’re scoring ok, just need to tidy up our accuracy.
The kids are doing their bit. And there are a lot of them.
Lycett and Burton have added plenty.
We’re building greater flexibility into Howard, Houston and Bonner.
Boaky is in career best form. Great to have Ollie, Hamish, Charlie and Brad back in the mix.
Tough selection decisions are being made, with form being rewarded.
We have been up to our armpits in 10 of our 13 games thus far, winning 7 of them.
The losses have hurt, and there is some inconsistency.
But we’ve also taken some reasonable scalps…whilst dealing with a serious shortage of experience and a solid block of travel.
All in all, we believe we are well placed.
With another big China campaign behind us, and 6 Adelaide Oval games to come…the run home is going to be huge.
Every game matters.

Keep believing.
It’s all hands on deck for the Bulldogs on Saturday night.

Let’s light it up again!

KT

Time for a rethink on a few issues KT and maybe someone should be selling some sort of message to the players. If the players get it right there is a good chance that the supporters will respond.

This week's email could start with

Dear Members and Supporters
With 10 minutes left on the clock last Saturday night...we walked out as one after a another spineless loss against an unfancied team, it felt like it has for the last 5 years !

Keep believing
KT

Out of curiosity, what has happened with Wines? ... it almost felt like he wasn't even on the field.

tenor.gif

Out of curiosity, what has happened with Wines? Was a little worried about the impact he'd have prior to the game, but it almost felt like he wasn't even on the field. Seems to have dropped massively this season. Is it just form, or is he carrying injury?

Something we'd all like to be wiser on. If you find out be sure to post back ;). The pre-season injury hasn't helped (will need surgery in the offseason) and I think the pressure of being pretend captain isn't sitting well.

Ollie would be the first to admit he's not at his best but is as lost as the rest of us (and seemingly his coaches) as to how to fix it.

Teams know how to beat Port at home. Slow our movement in our fwd 50, flood the defence and run the ball quickly out of defence with the aim of catching Port on the break.

We had to work hard for our goals while the Bulldogs scored with a lot more ease. And our game style plays into the hands of opposition teams. Slow buildups forcing us to kick to the boundary line. I’d like to see a stat for boundary line kicks.

It’s been the same for far too long.

This week's email could start with

Dear Members and Supporters
With 10 minutes left on the clock last Saturday night...we walked out as one after a another spineless loss against an unfancied team, it felt like it has for the last 5 years !

Keep believing
KT
Dear members and supporters.

I'm sorry.

There is only so much I can polish this turd.

Stay tuned for some tough, career defining decisions over the next few weeks.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bad luck with yesterday's game, was a ripper for the first 3 quarters. Love watching wet weather footy, even if the Dogs usually aren't very good in it. Have to say Hartlett played the best game I've ever seen from him, while Lycett, Boak and Byrne-Jones were all rock solid. Rozee is looking even better than I thought he would. Despite not seeing a huge amount of ball, he really made his presence felt, just seemed to be everywhere.

Who’s Wines ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything about that game was standard Ken. Poor first quarter, meandering 2nd and 3rd qtrs with no significant impact on the scoreboard, mini-fight back in the last putting us in striking range only to lose. The one change we now regularly have goalless qtrs. We have an inability to take the lead in a game, it's been a recurring theme for years now.

Our great wins are an exception, not the rule, and are too far and few in between. We don't build and learn, instead we have adopted an incoherent philosophy that is both stubborn and over-reactive.

This has kept us trapped in mid-table limbo, the footballing version of purgatory. A change absolutely is needed.

There's some difference in opinion here as to whether Ken has lost the players or not. To me, the regular scoreless quarters are more than enough evidence. A team playing for its coach wouldn't bring the blowtorch to him by going goalless as often as we do.

I feel as if there is something different about the last two weeks as opposed to our regular ‘good win followed by bad loss’ pattern. The win against Geelong was a full four quarters where we looked like we had a plan and relentlessly pressured the opposition. Everyone played their part and we didn’t appear to have any passengers. We had no slow start/foot off the pedal lapses. We played from siren to siren. That is rare for us, even when we win well.

Our losses are often due to one poor quarter. We either start slowly and spend the rest of the game staying with the opposition but never quite doing enough to get in front or we have one really poor quarter i.e. against Freo, that spoils any good work we do in the other three. But last night we were absolute rubbish from the minute we took to the ground until the final siren, barring about 15 minutes in the third where we looked like we wanted to win. We were continually second to the ball, we were outrun and outworked for the entire game, we looked disorganised and disinterested. I can’t think in recent times of two back to back games we have played that were so positively bi-polar. This is with essentially the same playing group in both games.

There seemed to be changes in selection policies coming in to the Geelong game and some posters suggest that there have been some changes to the workings in the coaches box and that that may have contributed to the win against Geelong. If that was true, then something changed drastically from that week to the next. We can only speculate, but those inside the club must know what is going wrong and they absolutely have to fix it, whatever it is.
Some posters here seem to get inside info about this sort of stuff but I’m damned if I can work out what’s going on.

One week they’re genuine premiership threats. The next they don’t look worthy of a spot in the finals.
That’s life as a fan of Port Adelaide in 2019. Last week the side romped to a victory over ladder leaders Geelong before backing up and losing to the Western Bulldogs.
They haven’t won two straight games since April, showcasing just how inconsistent their form has been.
Former Port Adelaide player Kane Cornes has taken aim at his old team and said the issues have been going on for a while now and it’s time something was done about it.
“They are a response-based footy club and they need to look at themselves as to why that’s the case and has been for a long time,” Cornes told AFL.com.au.
“They probably have been (a response-based footy club) for the last four or five years.
“It’s an indictment on Ken Hinkley and the playing group.

Whoops, we blew another one. 👎 👎 👎

Yeah I agree...

But then the problem becomes why does this happen all the time after a mistake?

Can we not arrest the momentum back? Or are we just too mentally weak to recover from a monumental balls up?

It just happens way too often to us that we can't recover from a bad turnover goal.

We can’t recover from a bad turnover goal because it happens way too often to us.

If everyone was playing well, sure, mistakes happen. But if hardly anyone is, and there’s one point in the game where the planets align and they actually start looking okay...one player shifting out of sync will break the spirit of the team.

Good teams win even when they aren’t playing well, like West Coast did.

If you were at the game, you'd know why the last quarter was goalless. The rain and wind picked up in the last something fierce.

The Bulldogs were playing in the same wind and rain. They didn't go goalless.

There has to be something wrong with Ollie.
His kicking and disposal was never good, but he now has the double bogey of that problem and what appears to be a measure of disinterest.....is it "disinterest"?......I'm not sure that is the word. He appears to be operating in a parallel universe.
Its called, ******* up your shoulder because you stupidly go skiing in the middle of a heavy preseason phase in January.

Hasn't fully recovered. An option was surgery back in February but he and we said no, otherwise he didn't play in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back