Autopsy Round 15 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the intrusion ,just wanted to say that after reading this thread you guys have similar problems to us .
Holding leads ,performing when everyone thinks you should win and goal kicking what's the story with that .
You guys were stiff ,Saturday night was the first time in 8 weeks we have kicked more goals than points .
Good luck for the rest of the year ,all you need is too make the 8 ,its anyones this year .

Hey guys, sorry to intrude, but up until late last year I lived in SA so I have seen a lot of your boys.

I see it as a real confidence issue. Against the weaker sides, you guys get a run on early, confidence up, play a good brand of footy.

But even early against us I could tell your boys were trying to convince themselves they were good enough.
Two best examples I can remember were when Robbie Gray marked and goaled at the northern end, rather than celebrate/focus on the good work by your mob, they wanted to try and get physical with our player, anyone who has seen a lot of footy could tell it was fake bravado.
Same thing happened when Dixon outmarked Rance, blokes like your skipper where more interested in pushing and getting into Rance's face than selvbrating their own work.

My opinion is they don't have the confidence in themselves, try to manufacture it, but it's just not working.

Being a Tigers supporter, we have seen it for 30+ years...

You blokes aren't that far away, good luck for the rest of the year.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude, but up until late last year I lived in SA so I have seen a lot of your boys.

I see it as a real confidence issue. Against the weaker sides, you guys get a run on early, confidence up, play a good brand of footy.

But even early against us I could tell your boys were trying to convince themselves they were good enough.
Two best examples I can remember were when Robbie Gray marked and goaled at the northern end, rather than celebrate/focus on the good work by your mob, they wanted to try and get physical with our player, anyone who has seen a lot of footy could tell it was fake bravado.
Same thing happened when Dixon outmarked Rance, blokes like your skipper where more interested in pushing and getting into Rance's face than selvbrating their own work.

My opinion is they don't have the confidence in themselves, try to manufacture it, but it's just not working.

Being a Tigers supporter, we have seen it for 30+ years...

You blokes aren't that far away, good luck for the rest of the year.

I think it's more that they just think Rance is a campaigner. And they're right.

So I had a look at the replay (although I could only bear the first 3 quarters), and have jotted down our shots on goal.

There seems to be a school of thought here that another tall would straighten us up and lead to more direct chances. Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with this I think our problem runs a bit deeper.

We seem to be carrying too many players with poor shots on goal and this puts more pressure on the rest of the team. I think there's a big mental side to this for the whole team, especially in close games.

Overall we kicked 8.15 from 27 shots. Absolutely a worry.

From this breakdown of chances it's clear that many of these were bad misses too.

1st quarter

15 mins left - dropped Dixon mark in pocket (through hands - should've taken)

13mins

Neade spoils Ellis, running shot from SPP about 40metres (50-50 chance)

Then shortly after - White tackles Martin, Neade/Wingard handball chain then Gray hits the post (easy chance - bad miss)

12 mins

Impey - snap under pressure from 15ms out. Trickles over boundary line (difficult chance but should be at least a 50-50 for a small forward)

Neade - wins high free, passes to White on a slight angle. Really should be a goal 70-80% of the time. Bad miss.

3 points from 4 shots so far.

6 mins

Great transition from half back. Ebert goals. Good lad.

From the centre - Neade to S Gray. 30metres, slight angle. Bad miss

4mins

Wines snap from a pack about 20m in front, 1 point. 50-50 chance

Shortly after - Dixon easy mark missed 40 metres out in the pocket

1 min left. SPP running shot from 50 after good tackle by Neade then good pressure at forward 50 to cause the turnover. Miss, 50-50 chance.

So first quarter we scored 1.6 from 8 shots including 2 relatively straightforward set shots and Gray's miss trotting into goal. 2 easy marks missed from Dixon too. I think around 14 inside 50s but not 100% on that.

Second quarter

13 mins left

Neade's head taken off. Set shot. Goals from 15metres.

12 mins

Straight out the centre. Wingard wins a free, Pittard long to Dixon. Set shot. Goals from 40m essentially straight in front.

10mins

Good passage of play - Polec to Neade, handballs to R Gray for a set shot to White, 30m minimal angle. Bad miss.

9 mins - Straight after turnover. Hartlett to Dixon. Set shot from 35m, misses. A more difficult chance.

7 mins - Gray mark in the pocket from S Gray pass, good lead up play. Set shot - 1 point. Hard-ish chance.

In the meantime after a dominant period for us Butler kicks goal of the year (caveat - ran too far. took 2 bounces over at least 60m! - took the ball near defensive side of the square and had a shot from 40m)

6 mins - Trengove mark not paid from Impey pass. From bounce snaps from ruck, hits post.

3 mins - Trengove marks outside 50, pass to S Gray, plays on, goal.

2 mins - Boak hits top of the square. Trengove roves his own spoil, goals.

Soon after. Good play on the wing. Boak to R Gray. Set shot from 35 on a 45 angle, misses (I'd expect that should be a goal more often than not).

Second quarter - 9 shots from 13 inside 50s including 6 set shots for 4.5. Should've had a big half time lead.

Third quarter

18 mins

Impey marks in pocket, plays on, misses (bread and butter small forward chance, should nail the majority of these)

13 mins. Wines out the centre to Neade, kicks to Trengove, roves his own ball, misses (hits the behind post). Gettable chance.

12 mins. S Gray roves following Trengove bringing it down. Missed, difficult chance.

11 mins. Good build up. SPP to S Gray passes to Wines. Set shot from 35 or so, less than 45 angle. Missed everything, bad miss.

10 mins. White intercepts Martins kick after good pressure. Set shot from 35-40, misses. Bad miss.

6 mins. Great contested mark from R Gray from a Boak pass 20m out. Gray goals.

5 min burst to Richmond, they kick straight.

So 5 missed prior to our only goal for the quarter. Could've and should've had a massive lead at this point.

6 shots for 1.3 in the third.

So at 3 quarter time had we kicked to even an average level we would've held a handy lead, instead of trailing them. Too many standard set shots were missed, and we heaped pressure on ourselves because of this.

DE% of our "Forward of centre" players

Player - Average [last 5 games]
Westhoff - 79 [76, 100, 68, 75, 77]
Young - 79 [91, 100, 60, 72, 73]
Amon - 71 [60, 73, 66, 83, 72]
Boak - 70 [55, 66, 78, 80, 73]
White - 70 [64, 76]
Dixon - 68 [66, 66, 68, 71, 70]
R.Gray - 64 [35, 80, 61, 64, 80]
Neade - 63 [61, 66, 63]
Ryder - 62 [47, 70, 54, 70, 69]
S.Gray - 62 [55, 65, 50, 78, 63]
Impey - 59 [58, 60, 80, 45, 50]
Trengove - 51 [27, 40, 41, 76, 71]

Edit: to elaborate... There is no excitement in going to watch us. If we fall behind you know we will lose. If we're playing a top 8 side you know we will lose. If a team gets a run on you know we cant stop it.

The best you can hope for going to see a port game is that we flat track a bottom 4 side. Woohoo.

Our crowds are so flat and quiet because they've seen it all before

Greetings from four years in the future. A lot’s happened!

For Richmond.

For us, things are exactly the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our inability to create any sort of home ground advantage at Adelaide Oval is disturbing. We're back to the bad old days of the late Choco era at Footy Park where every second team comes over and records a 'famous against the odds season defining win' because we are just too mentally weak to drive home any sort of home ground advantage.

It's just ridiculous that we all would rather have played Richmond at the MCG tonight but it's our reality.

On the plus side, who even cares where we finish in the 8 so long as we make it. We're a better chance of going deep by playing all of our finals away than we are by playing at home.

The good news is we've really tidied this up in the intervening 4 years ... and those home finals against West Coast and Richmond were just magical!

Bleh. This was the game when Wingard kicked it to the opposition a dozen times inside 50.

If you were to say:
- Team A would beat the Crows in a GF to start a dynasty to rival Geelong and Hawthorns, with a midfielder/forward becoming the most celebrated finals player of all time

- Team B would finish 10th a couple of times, miss the finals from 11-4, trade out their star midfield/forward, break through for a fantastic minor premiership only to miss the GF and still have the same coach, you'd hope to have thought

"Wow, we beat the Crows in a GF!! I knew Robbie would be a hall of famer! How is Dusty going at North Melbourne?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back