Autopsy Round 15 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Neade could quite possibly be a regular player in a side like Sydney or Hawthorn which has a fluid and well oiled forward line. I'm starting to think we don't use him correctly, he shows genuine flashes of being able to be a very handy AFL player. He breaks more tackles than some of our top liners.

I have a high opinion of Neade, he's a smart footballer, works very hard off the ball and stays focused for 4 quarters. The problem is we play him in such a way that all his weaknesses are exposed and his strengths are rarely exploited. I reckon you're spot on that he would be a regular for Sydney or Hawthorn.

If we had a leading Brett Eddy or Dougal Howard to kick the ball to...

...Then the ball would fly over a slightly taller player straight to Rance.

Completely agree that we need that extra target, but our kicking efficiency going inside 50 last night was so horrendous I don't think a personnel change would've really mattered.

Well just had a chance to watch the game in full after missing most of it last night. Even though we dominated the statistics, we were awful - couldn't string more than two or three touches for large parts of the game. Terrible turnovers and kicking - fumbles. The Richmond defence and zone worked really well. Didn't have much run from the backlines. Not that we try this too much anymore. We didn't use the corridor at all. All the posters re forward line players are right. Our conversion and forward efficiency reflects the lack of skills and poise of the players up there. Schulz was a huge loss that hasn't been replaced at all. None of the players being picked are reliable set shots. Probably Young is the best one in recent times. Otherwise, R Gray - nope. Imply - no. S Gray - no. Dixon- no. Neade - no. Boak - sometimes. Trengove - sometimes but not enough touches. Westy - only miracle bananas, and freak reverse soccer goals. Its pretty obvious really and embarrassing. Ken just doesn't seem to value or understand the importance of this. All the emphasis on defence is OK if you can have good forward play as a given - but we haven't got this, especially when under pressure. Play some proper forwards Ken - and recruit some more.

If you take away all the factors I've been reading about why we didn't win last night, if we nailed our chances we would have won, pure and simple. There is, at the moment, no one I trust kicking a set shot. No one. As I said in a post about a month ago, we are 2-3 leaders regularly standing up away from being a top 4 side. That hasn't happened. White misses three, R Gray misses 2-3, Ollie missed a sitter. Boak running towards the northern goal about 45m out and instead of taking the game on his shoulders ala 2013-14 he decides to pass it to Gray making it almost impossible for him to mark. From a similar spot PP almost brought the house down in the 1st qtr by taking it upon himself and going for a goal he just missed. Look at Richmond. At crunch times their leaders Cotchin, Martin, Rance and Riewolt delivered. These guys win you games. Where are ours? People on here say make Ollie the captain now. Sorry but I've seen him miss too many times when we've needed it. His kicking was better in his first two years. I don't see anyone at the moment who can step up and win games. They've all been left behind in 2013-14.

Yes, but that's exactly the point. He's not going to get any taller. We don't get any handicap points for playing short people, no matter how hard they try. If you play exclusively as a forward and due to your height you can't be expected to outmark opposition defenders at AFL level, then you shouldn't be on an AFL list.

Side note, any player in our side who can't get a goal without pulling that head ducking bullshit can **** off.

Yeah all good points about Neade but what I should have written in my last post was he would play better with at least another tall forward in the forward lines who can take a mark or attract a taller player.

His role in the team isn't as a marking forward so why is he forced to go up against players he will have no chance of winning a marking contest against.

Our forward line set up is just confusing at best.

On a side note - did anyone else find the color of the umpires uniform odd? I found it hard to spot them sometimes.
One of my group commented at the start of the game "What's with the umpires, are they trying to be invisible? That would be a nice change."

- I don't currently enjoy going to the footy.
^ interesting. One of our group of tragics that watch our games together said during the match "I can't watch this anymore".
I replied "even if we win this I doubt i'll watch the replay when I get home". I was actually laughing at us in the last qtr.
As the game went on you just knew they would kick their goals and they did. BTW in today's paper they've got a stat for
S Gray's kicking for goal ... 4 goals 12 behinds. If true you probably don't want him getting the ball up forward.
Now as bad as that is, you've got Impey Neade and Boak avoiding having shots. Did'nt Kochie say Port Adelaide wanted to make
footy fun and exciting a while back. Well what I saw Satdee night was a constipated cluster **** of stoppages, boundary hugging
tactics and clangers everywhere. We looked like a team being coached by a stubborn deluded man who is burning our list, supporters
and brand. When teams below us on the ladder are more enjoyable to watch, you know you've got a problem.

PS
anybody else see Robbie in the last qtr barely able to run. Standing bent over, hands on thighs for long periods.
Yeah Robbies not injured and Ken's an innovative genius.

If you take away all the factors I've been reading about why we didn't win last night, if we nailed our chances we would have won, pure and simple. There is, at the moment, no one I trust kicking a set shot. No one. As I said in a post about a month ago, we are 2-3 leaders regularly standing up away from being a top 4 side. That hasn't happened. White misses three, R Gray misses 2-3, Ollie missed a sitter. Boak running towards the northern goal about 45m out and instead of taking the game on his shoulders ala 2013-14 he decides to pass it to Gray making it almost impossible for him to mark. From a similar spot PP almost brought the house down in the 1st qtr by taking it upon himself and going for a goal he just missed. Look at Richmond. At crunch times their leaders Cotchin, Martin, Rance and Riewolt delivered. These guys win you games. Where are ours? People on here say make Ollie the captain now. Sorry but I've seen him miss too many times when we've needed it. His kicking was better in his first two years. I don't see anyone at the moment who can step up and win games. They've all been left behind in 2013-14.
I trust Dixon and Wingard that's it.

Maybe Ollie and Ebo too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Against wobblewood Boak, R Gray, and even White were bouncing around like they had been drinking from the fountain of youth, and the clock had been turned back 5 years.

In the game on Saturday night they often looked like 35 year olds who had played one season too many.

Maybe White suffered from 2nd up syndrome, but Boak went from looking up and about one week to cooked the next. :(

Where are our crumbers?, front n back sharking the spoils. I mean it's not as tho' there aren't plenty of opportunities.
There were too many times that I could remember where the ball spilled directly in front of the marking contest i50, yet our crumbers were off to the side?? If they were front and centre like you're taught in under 10's, Neade and co would definitely have gotten an easy ground ball and maybe quick snap at goal.

A fit Nathan Krakouer or Aidyn Johnson would probably be my first choice
This is an unbelievably bad call. They're both well off the pace at SANFL level, let alone AFL.

... anybody else see Robbie in the last qtr barely able to run. Standing bent over, hands on thighs for long periods.
Yeah Robbies not injured and Ken's an innovative genius.
He copped a fair old wack in the back and back of the head from a Richmond player in a marking contest just before he started doing that. No free of course. Was doubled over in pain just after and couldn't run after that.

On a side note - did anyone else find the color of the umpires uniform odd? I found it hard to spot them sometimes.

Their usual glow worm outfit would have clashed horribly with Richmond's Gribbles full specimen jar guernsey.

were just out on our feet.

this is it in a nut shell. You could see it with 10 minutes to go in the third that Jonas, Pittard, Boak and westhoff couldn't get over the ground and this opened up holes and Richmond cashed in and they missed some great chances late in the game which kept the scoreboard respectable.

Richmond first, boy they are quick over the ground and even when we were on top they were a very well drilled unit and it required good football to get anywhere. They failed to punish us a couple times by refusing to go long down the centre and went the easy option around to many times.

Neade, his first 3 quarters were great. His impact diminished in the last because Rance got on top and they could get the ball out before anyone could apply pressure. Rance got on top because Trengove refused to lead and Rance worked that out and was happy to play Trengove from 2m behind. A number of times in the last Trengove had 40 m of space in front of him and he refused to lead, he would take one step and the kick did not come, mate you need to take three quick steps and demand the ball and make Rance accountable.

Wingards first half was ridiculously good

Impey was invisible the first 3 quarters.

I thought Dixon, Wingard, Ryder, SPP, Wines and DBJ were very good. Jonas was very good until he ran out of legs. I am all for Nursing SPP through the season but if you are only going to give him 58% game time you need to select another mid.

To me Boak is carrying a hip injury and this is causing fatigue and limiting his impact on the game.

I do not understand why you play Trengove and don't use him as the second ruck. His bash and crash would be a good change up to Ryder.

I would drop Pittard and Trengove for Atley and Eddy/Houstan.

Stark difference between a competive club and us. Essendon boss straight out saying the performance wasn't good enough and apologises to the supporters. A day later, club captain calling his teammates out for playing selfish footy. Our president says something and the players sook.

We had 38 inside 50's in the second half for 3.4 (with 2 of the goals late), vs Richmond 23 inside 50's for 8.2

Purely blaming bad goalkicking doesn't tell the whole story, we had no answer to the flood and counter gameplan.

Stark difference between a competive club and us. Essendon boss straight out saying the performance wasn't good enough and apologises to the supporters. A day later, club captain calling his teammates out for playing selfish footy. Our president says something and the players sook.

Also the coach admits the only reason they're around the mark is because its such a dud season. Ken would have us believe we're well deserving top 8 material.

Sent from mTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back