Game Day Round 15 Vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

JL comments don't scream Hogan coming in next week to me. Midfield and pathetic inside 50 entries are the issues, not our actual forward line.

Well then he's wrong
He's playing Lachie Schultz as a lead up forward for goodness sake.
And by the way Walters was slagging off his teammates plenty today, so if that's what's keeping Hogan out of the team, drop Walters

Well then he's wrong
He's playing Lachie Schultz as a lead up forward for goodness sake.
And by the way Walters was slagging off his teammates plenty today, so if that's what's keeping Hogan out of the team, drop Walters
He's not wrong. He needs to fix our entries. Bombing it on Hogans head doesn't achieve much. Hogans good and should be in the team........on talent, but he needs to do more in scratchies. Can't scream standards, delist lazy spuds then play Hogan on the back of poor form.

Walters attitude has been poor all season, haven't liked his season at all.

JL comments don't scream Hogan coming in next week to me. Midfield and pathetic inside 50 entries are the issues, not our actual forward line.
At times today our forward line had Schullz, Crowden, Walters, Henry with maybe Tabs the only player over 6ft tall. He needs more tall help up there.

Not having a hard working CHF is a huge component of that. If you don't have one leading up at the ball again and again you struggle to move it quickly, and you struggle to move it through the middle. Draws defenders up and makes space for the other forwards.

Even if he's not kicking heaps of goals, Hogan is the perfect player for that.

We may as well debut some more players because the slim finals chance we had is surely over, it would have to be a miracle to make it.

Out: Blakely (6 possessions?), Henry (not quite ready for AFL level), Darcy (rested/managed), Lobb (out of form)

In: Valente, Frederick, Meek, Hogan

Lucky to keep their spot: Schultz, Hill, Crowden

Maybe rest Hill after the Richmond game and bring debut Leno Thomas or Jarvis Pina for a debut then

We may as well debut some more players because the slim finals chance we had is surely over, it would have to be a miracle to make it.

Out: Blakely (6 possessions?), Henry (not quite ready for AFL level), Darcy (rested/managed), Lobb (out of form)

Maybe rest Hill after the Richmond game and bring debut Leno Thomas or Jarvis Pina for a debut then
meek strained his calf last week, he’s out for 2 weeks or so

Why do we need to rest or manage Darcy, the season is meaningless, get him to toughen it up and play all the remaining games.

Just a general question, why do umps only give 50 metres these days if a player slightly encroaches into a space which has little to no impact on the player with the ball yet they don't give 50 if the ball is thrown back to a player 5 metres over their head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The actual changes are pretty meaningless because there's a bunch of guys who aren't quite at the level, or who have been at the level this season but have dropped off.

It's more we just need to get a couple of games into Valente, maybe Pina and Watson. Hogan as well if he's fit. One game for Meek when he's recovered wouldn't go astray.

The actual changes are pretty meaningless because there's a bunch of guys who aren't quite at the level, or who have been at the level this season but have dropped off.

It's more we just need to get a couple of games into Valente, maybe Pina and Watson. Hogan as well if he's fit. One game for Meek when he's recovered wouldn't go astray.
Agree. It's just a case of wasting development games on so many guys they don't appear to be best 25. Valente, Leno and of course Hogan seem to have a lot more best 22 potential.

Agree. It's just a case of wasting development games on so many guys they don't appear to be best 25. Valente, Leno and of course Hogan seem to have a lot more best 22 potential.

Yeah for sure.

I think it's actually quite hard because past probably the 18th player there's just so many who are thereabouts at times, and rubbish at other times. You can throw a blanket over about 12 players in various positions who all have different pros and cons, and different potential or good games behind them.

Out - Crowden - has done nothing since his first couple of games back.
Lobb - Don’t know if carrying an injury but looks tired and uninterested.
Blakely - disposal continues to be an issue and not enough of the footy.

In - Hogan - bring him in and play him at FF
Valente - surely its time to see the number 29 running around again.
Matera - I know controversial but we need some one with a bit of goal sense.

Lucky to survive is Michael Walters needs to pull his finger out, having pretty much little to no impact on the game. Needs to stop sulking that he isnt getting as much midfield minutes. Also my god the free kicks he plays for a real momentum killers.

Yeah for sure.

I think it's actually quite hard because past probably the 18th player there's just so many who are thereabouts at times, and rubbish at other times. You can throw a blanket over about 12 players in various positions who all have different pros and cons, and different potential or good games behind them.
Yeah but why not find out if the others can perform at the level more consistently. Keeping a bunch of players in the team because they are ok makes it very difficult for others outside the team to break in to the team. I would hate to think what we are seeing is considered good enough for the 2nd tier to hold their place every week. It's too low a standard.

Games a complete write-off to me, means nothing in the grand scheme of things and anything less than 40 points is a win.

Would rest as many as possible, play everyone still on the list that played in the scratchie this week and see who wants it.

Richmond played 2 rucks (Nankervis and Soldo) vs West Coast which means against us they'll probably have 3 talls up forward in Lynch, Riewoldt and one of Nankervis/Soldo/Chol (depending on selection),

In their defence Grimes is out, so their key backs are Balta and they'll probably bring in Broad.

Think Hogan gets a game - with the possibly of being thrown back at times for cover, if we seem too slow up forward with the 3 talls set up. Its probably not the best scenario to introduce him, but it seems like Ryan is in doubt, which probably means Watson also is in the mix - though I think he should be anyway.

Richmond still not at their best without Prestia, Grimes, Edwards, Astbury and I think we'll match up better on them than against GWS. They're a team that plays to a strong system, but I think we can come up with a plan to break it down if we chip away at certain players like Bolton (who is close to being a star), Pickett, Baker, Markov, McIntosh, Aarts - they can all be put under pressure by the players in our team who might be considered no names to the opposition.

The biggest boost will come from Fyfe and Walters playing up to standard and a stronger performance from Darcy and Lobb in the ruck.

In: Hogan, Watson, Frederick
Out: Duman (think he has upside but needs to have a week off because of some sloppy disposal the last couple of games), and a couple of players rested/managed - (poss from Henry, Shultz, Blakely, Hill)

Last edited:
Just watched the presser with JL. I really like his leadership style. The philosophy he’s bringing and backing himself in on are with an eye on the next couple of years, not this one. That should be obvious for everyone watching. I like where we’re headed. Really feels like we’re turning a corner culturally.

Just watched the presser with JL. I really like his leadership style. The philosophy he’s bringing and backing himself in on are with an eye on the next couple of years, not this one. That should be obvious for everyone watching. I like where we’re headed. Really feels like we’re turning a corner culturally.
His pressers have both improved and grown on me. There’s this no bullshit but level headed approach that is really refreshing. He just states it like it is

His pressers have both improved and grown on me. There’s this no bullshit but level headed approach that is really refreshing. He just states it like it is
Yeah, it’s the ‘no bullshit’ but also not ‘look how smart i am’ arrogant air that Ross had about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back