Preview Round 15: West Coast vs Essendon, Gabba, Tuesday 01/09/2020 @ 8:10 PM AEST

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Heppell has to play inside IMO. He can still be an outlet from deep in defence whilst playing inside.

Long term Id probably want Hep to take the taller winger role instead of say a Cutler.

Long term Id probably want Hep to take the taller winger role instead of say a Cutler.
Ideally we have at least 3 taller type midfielders, whether they be inside or outside. Langford and Heppell are two, and I'd want a third that is significantly heavier than those two to use his weight on the inside.

Like his ability in traffic and how he wins contested ball means he should play inside IMO. He can be that outlet option regardless of the fact he's playing inside or outside.

Ideally we have at least 3 taller type midfielders, whether they be inside or outside. Langford and Heppell are two, and I'd want a third that is significantly heavier than those two to use his weight on the inside.

Like his ability in traffic and how he wins contested ball means he should play inside IMO. He can be that outlet option regardless of the fact he's playing inside or outside.

Yeah agreed, I'm just a little concerned long term about if his body can hold out on the inside, but you are right, if he has help it should be fine.

I don’t mind Darcy in the side as a 4th midfield option.

Have at least one (preferably two) of Shiel, McGrath, Merrett in the centre square and assisted by Heppell, Parish, Langford or even Stringer.

I like the way Dafcy has built in recent weeks, unfortunate that he’s not as good as the first three guys but a decent #4 - #6 midfielder on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t mind Darcy in the side as a 4th midfield option.

Have at least one (preferably two) of Shiel, McGrath, Merrett in the centre square and assisted by Heppell, Parish, Langford or even Stringer.

I like the way Dafcy has built in recent weeks, unfortunate that he’s not as good as the first three guys but a decent #4 - #6 midfielder on the list.

Definitely, no way he gets dropped for mine. Had some important clearances last week. Building nicely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely, no way he gets dropped for mine. Had some important clearances last week. Building nicely

To be fair, I don’t think anyone was suggesting drop him rather playing guys like Dev and Walls before him as midfield rotations.

This would be close to our strongest side we’ve fielded in ages, wouldn’t it?
I’m talking 2 - 3 years?

Strongest on paper but probably one of the most underdone sides in awhile too. Joe, Stewart, String, Hep off very long breaks with no preseason and Hooker and Hurley both having injury riddled years.

ESSENDON'S ROUND 15 LINE-UP:

Backs: Martin Gleeson, Michael Hurley, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Half-backs: Jordan Ridley, James Stewart, Adam Saad

Centre: Darcy Parish, Andrew McGrath, Kyle Langford

Half-forwards: Will Snelling, Cale Hooker, Irving Mosquito

Forwards: Devon Smith, Joe Daniher, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

Followers: Sam Draper, Dylan Shiel, Dyson Heppell

Interchange: Zach Merrett, Matt Guelfi, Dylan Clarke, Jake Stringer

Emergencies: Andrew Phillips, Mason Redman, Brayden Ham, Jacob Townsend

In: Heppell, Hurley, Draper

Out: Phillips, Ham, Redman (all omitted)

Milestone: Cale Hooker - 200 AFL games

Hooker forward! And Stewart to CHB :tearsofjoy:

FFS... can't they just name Stewart - Daniher - Walla - Mosquito - Hooker - Stringer once so we can see it?

We're actually getting dangerously close to Best 22 areas

ESSENDON'S ROUND 15 LINE-UP:

Backs: Martin Gleeson, Michael Hurley, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Half-backs: Jordan Ridley, James Stewart, Adam Saad

Centre: Darcy Parish, Andrew McGrath, Kyle Langford

Half-forwards: Will Snelling, Cale Hooker, Irving Mosquito

Forwards: Devon Smith, Joe Daniher, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

Followers: Sam Draper, Dylan Shiel, Dyson Heppell

Interchange: Zach Merrett, Matt Guelfi, Dylan Clarke, Jake Stringer

Emergencies: Andrew Phillips, Mason Redman, Brayden Ham, Jacob Townsend

In: Heppell, Hurley, Draper

Out: Phillips, Ham, Redman (all omitted)

Milestone: Cale Hooker - 200 AFL games

Hooker forward! And Stewart to CHB :tearsofjoy:

We're actually getting dangerously close to Best 22 areas
I swear if Stewart at CHB isn’t just a piss take...

Think we should have dropped BZT with no Kennedy. Given how little time 3 tall forwards will actually be on the ground given NicNats low TOG we could have quite easily have gotten away with a short backline.

I don’t care which one is the more winnable, im more concerned about the 5 day turn around for joe. We’ve seen this story before.

Yes we have which is why they would not risk him if there was even 0.00000000000001% of a chance of him not being able to back up.
He is on a different program now. It is all about working on the weakness that causes the issue. Rather than just a general treatment they have mapped how he runs and kicks so they can work on the areas that need strengthening. It is not actually a fix but a management program.
If he gets an injury it will not because he backed up after 5 days. Previously it was the next game after the back up that was the issue.

Last edited:
Back