Preview Round 16 – Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Tuesday 8th September 2020, Adelaide Oval, 5.40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
It’s hard work watching this team sometimes.

And I still can’t understand how we managed to just switch on and double our ¾ time score in that final quarter. The same thing happened against Essendon. Is this some kind of deliberate, high-risk, “rope-a-dope” strategy? If so, it’s a dangerous game to play, especially as there’s no margin for error.

Hats off to Nick Haynes, easily our BOG by a country mile. I think he’ll be adding to his tally of Brownlow votes in a few weeks after a performance like that. And Jake Riccardi, take another bow. You’ve caught everyone off-guard with an outstanding late-season debut – no-one saw you coming!

We're now allowed the luxury of a five-day break before facing the Crows in Adelaide on Tuesday. A few days ago, I was worried we might be the ones to let them to break their duck this season, but Hawthorn relieved us of that particular humiliation. Nonetheless, this game still has the hallmarks of being an old-fashioned house-wrecker if we dare show up not taking the opposition seriously.

Changes for this round might include Josh Kelly, who should be available for selection, as long as he’s fully recovered from his concussion. I don’t know about Phil Davis; he was listed as “TBC” in this week’s injury update. Apart from Kelly and Davis there’s no other big names waiting in the wings.

I wonder if it might be worth letting Mumford have a rest in favour of Sam Jacobs, who would certainly have good knowledge of his old club? Or would it be better to just let the team settle in? It’s hard to know what to suggest given the inconsistency problem.

We have to win this game, and we should.

That’s what worries me.

And I still can’t understand how we managed to just switch on and double our ¾ time score in that final quarter. The same thing happened against Essendon. Is this some kind of deliberate, high-risk, “rope-a-dope” strategy? If so, it’s a dangerous game to play, especially as there’s no margin for error.
Leon explained it all in his presser LOTG.

He is asked (3:10) the obvious question about whether a desire to finally play more "on instinct" led to the shackles being broken open. You can see he clearly bristles at the question and instead suggests that playing "too much on instinct" caused all the problems in the first half. And instead they needed to be "more measured"!

You seriously could not make this stuff up.

Actually, I'd rate this a pretty difficult game to win - thanks to the ridiculous schedule handed to us by the AFL. Adelaide snug at home for weeks - 9 days break before their last game (resulting in a win!) and 7 days since that to play us. Versus GWS hubbing in WA, flying out to a new hub, playing 5 days later, then 5 days later flying in/out of Adelaide. WTF aren't Adelaide travelling to Queensland for this game? If Adelaide were anything other than crap for most of this year, we'd be at massive odds. Still, we must win it at all cost.

I'd suggest we actively need to rest players for this game - in fact probably we should have rested some others last game. Not that we should underestimate Adelaide, but to ensure our players are OK for the subsequent game, which is only 4 days after Adelaide!!

In that case, I'd be happy to rest Cogs, Jezza, Mummy, Kenners - and drop TOJ.

You'd hope that Sauce might be up against his old team - but putting him in would just give Mummy a rest. I'd also bring in Flynn for a debut in place of Jezza. Tom Green for Cogs - we need some more grunt with composure at the coalface. Kelly for someone - realistically I'd be happy to swap TOJ straight back out as we wouldn't need the height. Caldwell for Kennedy (he's 3 games back from an extended hammy injury, so let's not press our luck).

Whitfield looks like he could do with a break - maybe the following game if we win this one.

And whoever's in the team has to turn up to the game!

Star midfielder Josh Kelly remains a test to take on the Adelaide Crows in Tuesday night footy as he continues to recover from concussion.

Kelly has had a light week since suffering the concussion against the Fremantle Dockers in round 14 after being immediately ruled out of round 15 due to the tight turnaround.

The 25-year-old has passed all the protocols thus far but will need to train on Sunday and recover well to take on the Crows on Tuesday night.

Brent Daniels (hamstring) and Harry Perryman (calf) will also face fitness tests after pulling up sore following the GIANTS’ win over Carlton last Thursday night.

Tom Hutchesson (hamstring) and Kieren Briggs (back) will be week-to-week propositions as they manage injuries.

The GIANTS take on the Crows on Tuesday night in Adelaide before returning to Queensland to play the Melbourne Demons next Saturday night.

Daniels and Perryman would be huge outs :/

But with the quick turnaround, it wouldn't surprise me if we rest a few who are sore with the 4 day break and then 3 day break before our game vs Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, collingwood fan here. I know no one really knows but whats the gut feeling after that article on Kelly playing this week? I'm a supercoach player in a must win final and ideally want to keep him over Billings.

Brent Daniels (hamstring) and Harry Perryman (calf) will also face fitness tests after pulling up sore following the GIANTS’ win over Carlton last Thursday night.

Daniels and Perryman would be huge outs :/

But with the quick turnaround, it wouldn't surprise me if we rest a few who are sore with the 4 day break and then 3 day break before our game vs Melbourne

Damn - those are two players I didn't want rested - they give 100% the whole game. :(

No point pushing them though, and injuring them longer term.

Assuming we win this week, we're in a pretty good position even if we drop one of the last two games...

If we lose to MEL and beat STK (finish on 40), we need two of:
  • STK to lose to WCE (finish on 36);
  • COL to lose to PTA (finish on 38);
  • WBD to maintain a worse percentage than us (finish on 40); and/or
  • MEL to lose to either FRE or ESS (finish on 36).
If we beat MEL and lose to STK (finish on 40), we need either:
  • COL to lose to PTA (finish on 38) or
  • WBD to maintain a worse percentage than us (finish on 40).

(Collingwood losing to the Suns and the Dogs losing to either Hawthorn or Fremantle would be very very handy but less likely.)

Or we could just lose this week and render the whole thing moot.

I'd like to see Jacko Hately come in against Adelaide in SA. He brings energy and hardness.
Sauce for Mummy of course, give the South Australians their swan song.
Not surprised if neither will be on our list next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back