Review Round 16 – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Sun 7th July, Sydney Showground Stadium, 4.40pm

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
So many things smell about our performances at the moment.
In no time we could be missing finals.
If that happens we should be seeking a different coach imo.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

I honestly believe the players are trying their best, the spirit in the club is good, they train very hard and are committed but they don’t appear to have the game plan. We have done everything to address this bar moving the coach.

The fact he has not a clue about the importance of the ruck position is nearly enough. Putting in nice clubmen that everyone likes isn’t going to cut it, we need to be ruthless and bring in someone proper for when Mummy invariably gets hurt.

The club needs to be very ruthless or risk wasting an unprecedented group of talent.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
If you want a reality check which will sum it up, have a quick look at the ladder.

Brisbane leapfrogged us tonight with a win. Guess Who the next two team are below us

Richmond
Port

Both out next 2 opponents.

They will both leapfrog us also with wins, which would then leave us clinging to 8th spot by %

Without probably cogs, Whitfield and Kelly

I'm quietly very concerned

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I honestly believe the players are trying their best, the spirit in the club is good, they train very hard and are committed but they don’t appear to have the game plan. We have done everything to address this bar moving the coach.

The fact he has not a clue about the importance of the ruck position is nearly enough. Putting in nice clubmen that everyone likes isn’t going to cut it, we need to be ruthless and bring in someone proper for when Mummy invariably gets hurt.

The club needs to be very ruthless or risk wasting an unprecedented group of talent.
Leon is contracted until the end of next year. He will be set until then imo

The trades aren’t the coach’s responsibility. I imagine he has some input but there is a whole team to run list management separate from him

I’m not saying Leon doesn’t deserve criticism- I’ve said before that I think we have been found out. Just some of these criticisms in Particular aren’t necessarily just

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
First half of the season exceeded my preseason expectations, but historically we keep on having form slumps around this time of year and then hope to build again before finals. I dunno if this year is the same but last season training loads were altered to try and address it which didnt really work. I would hope that the fitness people with all their sports science tech havent made the same mistake again but observing on tv, the depth just isnt there anymore. Bar a miracle run with injuries the list is probably a 4th-6th team this year. The core group are very good but spots 20-30 on the list are either inexperienced or not quite up to it. When you are forced to play too many from this bracket it becomes a battle.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I'd like to offer my review of the game

I attended in person, my first game this year. I went with my 2 year old daughter.

Jumping castle

This was the most exciting looking attraction which allowed a 2 year old so we went there first. There was a small wait for a spot to open up but not too long. Jumping fun!

Face painting

After that we lined up for 40 minutes for her to get her face painted. Every 5 minutes she would get bored of lining up, and wander off, but then I would ask her if she still wanted to get her face painted, and she said Yes and returned to the line. If the patient young gentleman just behind us in the line is reading this then thank you for continually letting us leave and return to the line.

When asked what she wanted, she said "Rainbow!" The face painting lady instead drew something she was confident with, and my 2 year old daughter was delighted all the same.

Dancing

When the Giants theme song came on as the players ran out she started bopping around. When the song finished she said "More!!" but the song had finished and unfortunately we did not get to hear it again. It was definitely her favourite song that was played, I did not do anything to influence this, but I feel the early signs are there she will be a Giants supporter.

Sitting in a seat

This lasted for about 10 seconds as it was quite interesting to flip up and down the seats, and then we were off exploring the stadium.

Exploring the stadium

We walked down and then up the stairs next to our seats. Then we walked around on the concourse for a good 45 minutes. She showed interest in various other activities which were not available to a 2 year old such as the rock climbing wall.

Supporting the Team

When she overheard someone calling out a support she would perform a 2 year old's imitation. She did not discriminate between Lions and Giants supporting. "Go lions" "Giants cha cha cha" *clapping* all forms of positive support were embraced

Being walked around the stadium

After that she was getting tired, but certainly had zero interest in sitting in a seat watching the game for more than 5 seconds, and therefore we spent the next 45 minutes with me wheeling her about in the stroller. I think we did 4-5 laps. Close attention was paid to the sights and sounds and other people.

Crankiness

Early in the last quarter, potentially after seeing the scoreboard and realising the Giants were not going to win, she started to get a bit worked up. Sprinting as fast as a 2 year old can go, wanting to explore stairs which we were not allowed to go up, resisting calm advice that we couldn't go there but we could go there instead, etc.

Going home

Halfway through the last quarter we collectively reached our threshold for enjoying the occasion and decided to head home.

Overall it was an exciting experience, and I will probably bring her again for one match next season.

Football

Apparently there was a football match on, not that I saw any of it.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
If you want a reality check which will sum it up, have a quick look at the ladder.

Brisbane leapfrogged us tonight with a win. Guess Who the next two team are below us

Richmond
Port

Both out next 2 opponents.

They will both leapfrog us also with wins, which would then leave us clinging to 8th spot by %

Without probably cogs, Whitfield and Kelly

I'm quietly very concerned

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon we have got history to go by here:

Just when you are ready to write the Giants off, then suddenly they will put together a string of gritty victories, and fight their way into 5th place, and a 2nd or 3rd week finals exit.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I reckon we have got history to go by here:

Just when you are ready to write the Giants off, then suddenly they will put together a string of gritty victories, and fight their way into 5th place, and a 2nd or 3rd week finals exit.
Will be going well to finish 5th with Rich, Coll, Port the next 3 weeks and Kelly gone for a long period and Cogs on one leg.

And Shaw still insisting on taking the lick ins.....

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
I dunno if this year is the same but last season training loads were altered to try and address it which didnt really work.

I think the bye rounds did them no favours. First, we had three interstate trips in a row. As well, the players didn't get a proper break in which to switch off and re-calibrate. Instead they got 2 extended 10 day periods between games which left them, apparently, mentally slow for Essendon last quarter and all of Brisbane game. The effort to beat North in Hobart was massive, they haven't been able to back it up.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Well played to the Lions they were the better team on the day and well coached and also to their medical department and having only 3 players on the injury list goes a long way to why they are exceeding expectations this year. The team is looking a bit slow and I think it is down to the playing and training load on a lot of young players and it is something that needs to be looked at IMO
Some players being criticised here and like most it seems that TOJ's efforts are down from early on in the season and whether he has the fitness needed for a full season is something to be looked at, Simpson wont win games and struggles around the field but he wont get pushed out of contests easily and can win some hitouts to advantage and I can see Flynn having an opportunity before the season is out
Williams had a great game but needed more support in the back half and also Coniglio didnt have the support he needed which I think is also down to Hopper and Taranto being young and still building some fitness and strength

I attended in person, my first game this year. I went with my 2 year old daughter.

Jumping castle

This was the most exciting looking attraction which allowed a 2 year old so we went there first. There was a small wait for a spot to open up but not too long. Jumping fun!

Face painting

After that we lined up for 40 minutes for her to get her face painted. Every 5 minutes she would get bored of lining up, and wander off, but then I would ask her if she still wanted to get her face painted, and she said Yes and returned to the line. If the patient young gentleman just behind us in the line is reading this then thank you for continually letting us leave and return to the line.

When asked what she wanted, she said "Rainbow!" The face painting lady instead drew something she was confident with, and my 2 year old daughter was delighted all the same.

Dancing

When the Giants theme song came on as the players ran out she started bopping around. When the song finished she said "More!!" but the song had finished and unfortunately we did not get to hear it again. It was definitely her favourite song that was played, I did not do anything to influence this, but I feel the early signs are there she will be a Giants supporter.

Sitting in a seat

This lasted for about 10 seconds as it was quite interesting to flip up and down the seats, and then we were off exploring the stadium.

Exploring the stadium

We walked down and then up the stairs next to our seats. Then we walked around on the concourse for a good 45 minutes. She showed interest in various other activities which were not available to a 2 year old such as the rock climbing wall.

Supporting the Team

When she overheard someone calling out a support she would perform a 2 year old's imitation. She did not discriminate between Lions and Giants supporting. "Go lions" "Giants cha cha cha" *clapping* all forms of positive support were embraced

After that she was getting tired, but certainly had zero interest in sitting in a seat watching the game for more than 5 seconds, and therefore we spent the next 45 minutes with me wheeling her about in the stroller. I think we did 4-5 laps. Close attention was paid to the sights and sounds and other people.

Crankiness

Early in the last quarter, potentially after seeing the scoreboard and realising the Giants were not going to win, she started to get a bit worked up. Sprinting as fast as a 2 year old can go, wanting to explore stairs which we were not allowed to go up, resisting calm advice that we couldn't go there but we could go there instead, etc.

Going home

Halfway through the last quarter we collectively reached our threshold for enjoying the occasion and decided to head home.

Overall it was an exciting experience, and I will probably bring her again for one match next season.

Football

That all seemed awfully familiar. Ours also loved to run around the ramp into the members bar continuously and (hot tip) if you go into the area between the two members bars and look under the stairwell there's a bunch of random toys and stuff (or used to be). The only problem is that at 6 ft 3 I had to stand on something to be able to look out and see the game through a small gap. I spent about an entire season locked down there - don't really recommend.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Jumping castle

Face painting

Dancing

Sitting in a seat

Exploring the stadium

Supporting the Team

Crankiness

Going home

Football

That was me last year against the hawks.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
If we don't see some changes next week I don't know what is going on...

Simpson was poor again.

Shaw and his brain fades.

Cameron looks really off the pace, with dropped marks and missed shots.

Finlayson still putting in only token efforts at times.

Any quick ball movement exposed Brisbane but instead we'd stop and wheel around every time. No one would run past to open up space.
It's the biggest thing we need to attack in the draft, a proper Shaw replacement. Young or Ash are the dream so if we could trade up that's desirable but we could also look at taking someone like Bianco near our first (likely 12-16)

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Apologies for the delay in getting these up - here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 29

Kelly 23 (3w)
Taranto 21
Hately 20 (19w, 1i)
Coniglio 19
Hopper 19 (1w)
Perryman 16 wing
Tomlinson 16 wing
Reid 4 (3i, 1w)
Greene 4
Deledio 2 wing
Daniels 1

Rucks:
Simpson 22
Tomlinson 6
Finlayson 1

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

Hopper 3
Coniglio 3
Kelly 2
Williams 2
Taranto 1
Simpson 1
Reid 1
Kennedy 1
Cameron 1

1st Half - 15

Kelly 14 (3w)
Taranto 10
Hately 10 (9w, 1i)
Coniglio 10
Hopper 10
Perryman 9 wing
Tomlinson 8 wing
Reid 4 (3i, 1w)

Simpson 12
Tomlinson 3

2nd Half - 14

Taranto 11
Hately 10 wing
Kelly 9
Coniglio 9
Hopper 9 (1w)
Tomlinson 8 wing
Perryman 7 wing
Greene 4
Deledio 2 wing
Daniels 1

Simpson 10
Tomlinson 3
Finlayson 1

Notes:
- No starts for Perryman in the last
- All of Greene, Deledio & Daniels's starts came after Kelly's injury - Coniglio still attended 4 of the 6 bounces in the last

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Perryman been very disappointing. I expected more.

With Kelly out really need to see Lids in more centre clearance contests. That was his role at Rich. Surely he can still do it?

Perryman is still developing and this is his third year and with some academy players they are greatly overrated and like with many players his development has been slowed by injuries and lastly he has a December birthday so was very young compared to his other draft year players
I see him as a Sam Reid type player with no outstanding attributes put more a utility with a ceiling of being a B grader

Back