Preview Round 16 – West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Optus Stadium, Sunday 8th July 2018, 4.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about Keefe but if I was betting with my money I would back him to be. I think he was a good cheap pickup for depth but in an ideal world he plays NEAFL

I suspect Shipley or Bonar for Hopper, and Shipley favourite because there's been no specific debutant announcement. That's not a certainty though and the decision may genuinely not be made yet.

Shipley intrigues me, he obviously has the natural endurance but doesn't look like he's built like an inside mid to me, plays like one at NEAFL level though. I wonder if we'll see his best after an off season or two in the gym.

With Bonar it just a matter of when he's assessed as ready I'm sure and he's like for like with Hopper.

Hope for Kenners to squeeze in possibly on the wing, that could conceivably see Kelly move more inside instead of a new inside mid.
Disagree re Shipley... absolutely built like inside mid... big through the hips - where it counts. Having big biceps etc in afl is useless. If you watch him play he is very much a team player - very conscious of his defensive role etc. Bonar is a see ball get ball player. So who we go with will just depend on coaching staff philosophy. At this stage, if he’s fit, I’d go with Bonar... just let him loose and win as much ball as he can and make as many tackles as he can.

Disagree re Shipley... absolutely built like inside mid... big through the hips - where it counts. Having big biceps etc in afl is useless. If you watch him play he is very much a team player - very conscious of his defensive role etc. Bonar is a see ball get ball player. So who we go with will just depend on coaching staff philosophy. At this stage, if he’s fit, I’d go with Bonar... just let him loose and win as much ball as he can and make as many tackles as he can.
Inside mids generally to me aren't lanky to me and he seems to be, but it's perception. If Bonar does debut, and it has to come at some point, my guess would be defensive inside mid. We often debut mids across half forward but there have been exceptions. Notably Hopper but also Jake Barrett I recall. He seems the kind of strong mid Hopper is.

Really surprised that Buntine has not been named on the extended bench again.
I think he still has a lot of development to go at the top level. Should he get an extended run I think he could add something to the team we haven’t seen before. We haven’t seen his best yet, and I feel like his best, as a versatile running defender will give the team that little something extra. Improvements in established players can really help the team

Patton gone for the year poor guy.
Also just heard NN May not play either, on Footy Feed.

West Coast Eagles v GIANTS
Sunday, July 8 at 4:40pm (EST)
Optus Stadium
GIANTS
FB: Sam Taylor, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
HB: Ryan Griffen, Aidan Corr, Adam Tomlinson
C: Lachie Whitfield, Dylan Shiel, Jeremy Finlayson
HF: Zac Langdon, Rory Lobb, Matt de Boer
FF: Sam Reid, Harry Himmelberg, Callan Ward
RR: Dawson Simpson, Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio
Interchange: Harry Perryman, Brent Daniels, Tim Taranto, Nick Haynes
In: Harry Perryman, Brent Daniels
Out: Jon Patton (knee), Jacob Hopper (calf)
Emergencies: Aiden Bonar, Nick Shipley, Lachlan Keeffe, Adam Kennedy

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Patton gone for the year poor guy.
Also just heard NN May not play either, on Footy Feed.
With an ACL I think we'll be very lucky if he's back early next year. How he adjusts is going to matter I think. . I get the notion a retirement isn't out of the question. It took him a long time to regain confidence last time. Whatever he does I hope it works out well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afternoon all.
Currently on a sabbatical doing the eastern seaboard drive visiting fam all the way down.
Today will probably define our season, get through and the finals will be ours.
Enjoy today and your tomorrows,catch you soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back