Review Round 16, 2017: Box Hill Hawks v Geelong, 5 August 2017, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really in the way you might initially imagine for a small forward.

He won the TAC goal kicking award of the back of three or so games where he kicked +8. By memory if you take these games out his normal contribution to scoring was about 2 goals per game across his other games.

he is not your typical small forward in that he does not have any pace like Rioli, Pops, Betts etc., nor is he a good snap goal. In fact he is pretty ordinary in this regard and I was shocked last season at how many snaps he could not convert given that this is bread and butter for small forwards like Bruest; you just don't give these guys at look at goal with the ball in their hands.

He played forward more like an undersized medium marking forward and not your traditional speedy, high defensive pressure, goal sneak. I remember one of our regular contributors here, remarking to me last season how odd it was to recruit a player who played the medium forward when he was too small for the medium forward role at AFL level.

He amassed 56 goals from 11 games to be the leading goal kicker in 2015, with the next best being 34 goals. He had a 10 goal game, an 8 goal game, a 4 and a few 3's. He had a few zero games and did play multiple roles. The hawks seem to think that his future is as a forward and midfielder, which incidentally was what his dad excelled as. He is an exceptional mark for his height, good tank, clean by hand and especially foot.

When he arrived at the club and I got to see him play, I thought the same that he'd be a hard HF/second string mid.

He primarily played forward last season for BH and ended up in a three way tie for leading goal kicker scoring 16 goals from 15 games which is not at all good for a forward playing so close to goal. Compare this to Miles who also kicked 16 goals from 15 games playing as a defender (zero goals in 6 games).

Can anyone tell me anything about Brayden Kilpatrick?

Seems to have outgrown the Dev Squad and is now excelling (at least stats-wise) at VFL level. How much improvement does he have left - at current rate could he go past Switta, Lane, Murphy etc for a possible AFL spot?

Can anyone tell me if the Box Hill Hawks Development side can make the finals, and where does one find the results and ladder for the development sides ?

I used to be able to find out on Sporting Pulse app. but not anymore.

Can anyone tell me if the Box Hill Hawks Development side can make the finals, and where does one find the results and ladder for the development sides ?

you can find results here http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-118-10459-437832-0&pool=1&round=0&a=ROUND

ladder is a different tab on the same page, direct link http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-118-10471-437832-0&pool=1&a=LADDER

Hawks are third at this stage one win behind Casey and two behind Port Melbourne

What a disgraceful MRP assessment of the assault I witnessed on Sunday. Careless conduct - RUBBISH, it was intentional given the way he ran straight through a player with his head over the ball and I didn't see any signs of remorse. Medium impact - RUBBISH, Joel was knocked out, stretched off the ground and required an ambulance. If the incident happened in the AFL the Grundy incidents would hardly have been discussed.
"Nathan Laracy – Werribee Tigers
AFL Victoria’s Match Review Panel charged player Laracy for making forceful front on contact against Box Hill Hawks player Joel Koger during the second quarter of the AFL Victoria Development League Round 16 match, Box Hill Hawks vs Werribee Tigers on Sunday 6th August, 2017 at Box Hill City Oval.
Based on the available video and medical report, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with medium impact and high contact. The incident was classified as a two match base sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacted the penalty. An early guilty plea enables the player to accept a one match sanction."

The Development ladder can be found on www.vfl.com.au. Go into fixture/results, click on ladders and then click on competitions.

Re Hardwick, please correct me if I'm wrong but I recall he had 12, 10 and 8 goal games for Eastern. He had a good second half in the TAC GF.

Brayden Kilpatrick
"The AFL Sydney Round 17 Rising Star nominee is Brayden Kilpatrick from St George.

If ever a player was destined to wear the famous Red & White of St George it is Brayden Kilpatrick. The son of former Dragon’s Premiership player Andrew, Brayden is a local Ramsgate junior who started playing AFL at the tender age of 3. has been a feature of many Sydney South & State Rep sides as well as featuring in this year’s TAC Cup for the Rams & NEAFL competition with the Sydney Swans. He was a member of the Dragons U19’s Premiership Team of 2014 and has been part of the Sydney Swans Academy since 2010.

St George Premier Division coach Terry Mudge is full of praise for his young charge; " Having been named in our best players in 6 of his 8 Premier League games Brayden has certainly relished the opportunity to play at the senior level this year. His poise and skill under pressure are extremely reliable for such a young talent. He is an elite kick on both sides of his body and he has fitted into a midfield role comfortably. Being another local junior Brayden has embraced the Dragons DNA culture and we see him developing into a future leader amongst our young squad".

Brayden is a ripper young man and I'm wrapped to see him play so well in the seniors. He was good in the development league last year and was stiff to be an emergency for the winning GF team. I always admire players who put a disappointment behind them and work harder to improve. Brayden has been rewarded for his hard work and good form in the development team.

The Hawks' development squad is currently third on the ladder, two games behind Port Melbourne (as well as about 12%) and a game behind Casey (with Casey having a game in hand on both Port Melbourne and Box Hill) after the Hawks lost to Werribee by 20 points last Sunday. There's three rounds in the home and away season to play.

Noticed only Switta from Box Hill has been invited to the state combine.
For a state combine invitation I think at least two clubs have to nominate a player. Switta's combination of pace and defensive pressure puts him ahead of the other BHH listed players.
Swita hasn't been invited to the Victorian State combine.

He's apparently been invited to the Rookie Me combine, along with Olango.

Not sure what a Rookie Me combine is.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017/08/08/draft-dream-not-over-for-2017-state-combine-nominees/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Lovell was pretty good.

Has a good knack at winning the footy, but was poor with his disposal and timing at certain moments. Think that's more due to such a long time out of the game. Can't wait for him to keep playing.
See i am not sure if those errors you pointed out are due to absence from the game or are in fact normal output for him. I am in the latter camp. Jed andersons constant injury run also had him in similar territory but we know now poor kicks are the norm for him.

See i am not sure if those errors you pointed out are due to absence from the game or are in fact normal output for him. I am in the latter camp. Jed andersons constant injury run also had him in similar territory but we know now poor kicks are the norm for him.
I hope its the former, but I haven't seen a large enough sample of his games to assess.

I wouldn't mention Chopper Lovell in the same sentence as JA. Chopper worked very hard in rehab and I'm sure he'll be patient and work even harder to earn his place in the best 22 for the Hawks. In Chopper's first game back his disposal by hand and foot was good however it was poor against Geelong. In this defense he certainly wasn't alone with poor disposal in the very windy conditions. To be polite, I was very unimpressed with the way JA requested a trade after all the club did for him and his family. However all has ended well with Burto a star Hawk and JA underachieving for the Centrelink Roos.

I wouldn't mention Chopper Lovell in the same sentence as JA. Chopper worked very hard in rehab and I'm sure he'll be patient and work even harder to earn his place in the best 22 for the Hawks. In Chopper's first game back his disposal by hand and foot was good however it was poor against Geelong. In this defense he certainly wasn't alone with poor disposal in the very windy conditions. To be polite, I was very unimpressed with the way JA requested a trade after all the club did for him and his family. However all has ended well with Burto a star Hawk and JA underachieving for the Centrelink Roos.
Its more making the point that on the main hawks board a lot of people are declaring chopper will be a star and i am not convinced having watched him last year and a bit this year. Got a long way to go and reports of an off day with disposal creates expectation that there isnt a problem whereas in fact there may be. It is good to hear you know he is someone who applies himself well compared to jed. My parallel was that a lot of posters would think jed had a bad day because of his recoveries from injury but it was in fact the norm.

Any chance Chopper will benefit from having Jaeger ready on the wing to accept his dish-offs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back