Preview Round 16, 2018: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Saturday 7th July, 4:05PM ACST

Who Wins?

• Power

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so they picked the ruckman who had 34 disposals, 7 clearances and 59 hitouts and the forward/ruck who had 23 disposals, 9 marks, 8 tackles, 16 hitouts and a goal? Obviously they also picked the small forward who had 25 disposals, 5 tackles and 2 goals, right?
Longer was never being dropped. Our midfield has been performing better since he has been in and Hickey needs to back up his performance against an actual AFL quality ruckman before he gets a chance again.

If we want to keep our forward structure from the past few weeks then Wright is a better fit to replace Battle than Marshall. Battle may be tall but he is extremely mobile, an elite runner and has great forward pressure. Marshall has none of those attributes, so it would make us slow and give us one more player who doesn't really tackle. Wright excels at tackling and is quick so despite being short, he actually replaces a lot of what Battle brought to the team. He isnt a long term solution but his form over multiple matches warranted selection.

Longer was never being dropped. Our midfield has been performing better since he has been in and Hickey needs to back up his performance against an actual AFL quality ruckman before he gets a chance again.

If we want to keep our forward structure from the past few weeks then Wright is a better fit to replace Battle than Marshall. Battle may be tall but he is extremely mobile, an elite runner and has great forward pressure. Marshall has none of those attributes, so it would make us slow and give us one more player who doesn't really tackle. Wright excels at tackling and is quick so despite being short, he actually replaces a lot of what Battle brought to the team. He isnt a long term solution but his form over multiple matches warranted selection.

Longer has been absolutely deplorable and I don't know if I have ever seen such a dominant performance from a ruckman as Gawn's last week. He was the sole reason Melbourne stayed in touch with us for the entire game (Billy had 8 disposals, 2 marks and 26 hitouts against Gawn's 25, 11 and 39). Hickey on the other hand was dropped after an 11 disposal, 8 tackle, 30 hitout game (against an opponent who had 14 disposals, 29 hitouts and 3 goals).

And I have no idea how you think Wright's game could come close to what Battle offers in any way. This is a 184cm scrappy flanker who has kicked 9 goals from 34 games at age 24 compared to a talented, skilled 193cm tall forward who has kicked 7 goals from 4 games at age 19. Marshall is playing excellent footy at VFL level and averages 0.4 less tackles per game over his career despite the fact that he is a key forward/ruckman as opposed to Wright who is a small defender/pressure forward. There is absolutely no sense in this selection and it frankly screams incompetence. Any club on a pathway to success would not be wasting time with known (and frankly terrible) quantities like Wright in a dead season while far more talented players are in desperate need of experience.

Longer has been absolutely deplorable and I don't know if I have ever seen such a dominant performance from a ruckman as Gawn's last week. He was the sole reason Melbourne stayed in touch with us for the entire game (Billy had 8 disposals, 2 marks and 26 hitouts against Gawn's 25, 11 and 39). Hickey on the other hand was dropped after an 11 disposal, 8 tackle, 30 hitout game (against an opponent who had 14 disposals, 29 hitouts and 3 goals).

And I have no idea how you think Wright's game could come close to what Battle offers in any way. This is a 184cm scrappy flanker who has kicked 9 goals from 34 games at age 24 compared to a talented, skilled 193cm tall forward who has kicked 7 goals from 4 games at age 19. Marshall is playing excellent footy at VFL level and averages 0.4 less tackles per game over his career despite the fact that he is a key forward/ruckman as opposed to Wright who is a small defender/pressure forward. There is absolutely no sense in this selection and it frankly screams incompetence. Any club on a pathway to success would not be wasting time with known (and frankly terrible) quantities like Wright in a dead season while far more talented players are in desperate need of experience.
Hickey was never coming in this week for Longer. Longer is our preferred ruckman, hence why we started the year with him severely underdone instead of a fit Hickey.

Battle can run all day and is physically imposing - which are two attributes Marshall has none of. Wright, despite being smaller will still allow us to be mobile in the front half and will still apply pressure to opposition beckman. Marshall is nothing like Battle as a footballer, except they are both tall. Wright has warranted his selection from strong VFL form.

Honestly, neither Marshall or Wright are talented footballers and neither have a long future in the AFL. But Wright is better suited for the conditions and will cause less disruption to our current structure/game plan.

Main thing is Giblet is back. Thank God. The Warrior returns.
Only at StKilda would a spud like him play senior footy.
Spend any time on oppotion boards and you soon realise that's not true. Every club has players like him, many fans of all clubs express wonder/exasperation that these spuds get to represent their club.

Ask yourself seriously "Why does he get picked?" - when you watch him play, if you're watching properly you will understand.

I hope he kicks 25 goals & has 60 touches....

I also think he’s not AFL standard & shouldn’t be playing

He's earned his spot through good VFL form. It's only fair that playing well gives you chances to play seniors or there is no integrity to the system. A spot opens and he gets a chance.

People have said that what he does besides win taps is clear the decks for our boys to work in a bit more space. Don't know if that's true, but if the net result is a more effective midfield, I don't care how few stats Billy racks up.

I would say the more effective mid field could just as easily be having Armo back as a true inside bull, Dunny and Seb pushed out and playing Steele as a tagger on the oppositions best mid. Billy just happened to be the same week. Billy is very average ATM but still has scope to improve.

Hickey was never coming in this week for Longer. Longer is our preferred ruckman, hence why we started the year with him severely underdone instead of a fit Hickey.

Battle can run all day and is physically imposing - which are two attributes Marshall has none of. Wright, despite being smaller will still allow us to be mobile in the front half and will still apply pressure to opposition beckman. Marshall is nothing like Battle as a footballer, except they are both tall. Wright has warranted his selection from strong VFL form.

Honestly, neither Marshall or Wright are talented footballers and neither have a long future in the AFL. But Wright is better suited for the conditions and will cause less disruption to our current structure/game plan.

Bit harsh on Marshall to be writing him off so early.

He's earned his spot through good VFL form. It's only fair that playing well gives you chances to play seniors or there is no integrity to the system. A spot opens and he gets a chance.
Season is done imo everything we do should be about improving and development for next year, Dont see the sense in playing someone who won't be on our list next year. Players should be going in for ops early and we should be seeing what every player on the list can offer, we know what Wright offers

It's a strange selection with Wright. No doubt the coaches love the "contest" he gives but we won last week because of our slick precise ball movement and our decision making.... just feel like bringing a limited ball-butcher like Wright in has the potential to break up our attacking chains.

That was a problem for him in the backline but he can convert in front of goals so the need for precise field kicking isn't there. He's more there to defend the ball coming out and hopefully snap a couple as well.

The Wright hate is a bit OTT, he's probably not going to be here in a few years but if he's doing what he's meant to he deserves his crack at it.

Season is done imo everything we do should be about improving and development for next year, Dont see the sense in playing someone who won't be on our list next year. Players should be going in for ops early and we should be seeing what every player on the list can offer, we know what Wright offers

The flip side to that is you stack the side full of kids, lose by 60 points a week and develop a losing mentality. If kids aren't earning their spots they become soft as well. Playing guys like Freeman before he's ready could set him back as well.

That was a problem for him in the backline but he can convert in front of goals so the need for precise field kicking isn't there. He's more there to defend the ball coming out and hopefully snap a couple as well.

The Wright hate is a bit OTT, he's probably not going to be here in a few years but if he's doing what he's meant to he deserves his crack at it.
It's not hate mate just different opinions

We’ve been great the past few weeks because we are playing attacking break-neck speed footy and have gone away from the stodgy game plan we had. I’m saying Wright doesn’t fit into the way we have played that has gotten us back on track.

People, including me, thought we’d get smashed against the Tigers and Eagles with huge injury outs... it was the opposite. The raw kids came in and showed the way. They have revitalized the season and it’s been down to bold ball movement and coaching that has freed them up.

We know what we’ll get with Wright and unfortunately it’s not much. We should be daring to dream and bringing in someone fast so we can go toe to to with them.

Richo’s body of work was rightly judged harshly early on when he had a fuller list. But if he and the coaches manage to turn it around as he looks like he is doing with a depleted team, it will be a great effort.

We are seeing since the Freo game how important it is for us (and any team really) to move the ball quickly and effectively, I just want to see it continue because we are on a good thing here and it’s exciting for fans.

Wright is fast, he's just not very skilled but he's not terrible either. He kicked a coupe against GWS last year so can convert his chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flip side to that is you stack the side full of kids, lose by 60 points a week and develop a losing mentality. If kids aren't earning their spots they become soft as well. Playing guys like Freeman before he's ready could set him back as well.
Most likely on the money here mate about too many kids

Yeah no doubt there isn’t an obvious small pressure forward to bring in: let’s face it Wright and Lonie are not going to be on the list long-term. I just think Wright is so limited that he should pretty much never be played. It’s harsh but we have to keep an eye on the future and he’s not part of it.

I’d prefer us to get creative this week and move someone like Newnes into the forward pressure role and bring in Coffield.

Coffield is the future and I want to see him handled like our other young blue chip player Clark. Clark has never been left out of the team for long and has been backed in. It’s starting to bear fruit.... geez he has looked good the past couple of weeks.

Coffield is too good to stagnate so bring him back, back him in and we could see him break out like Clark has.

How much hate would the selection committee get from players if the club left form players with open spots out. That's a good way to get disharmony in the club.

I'm with you nang.

I believe Hughy's struggling a bit and I'd like to see him get a crack before the year's out. Having said that, this is probably not the best game to bring him in when he hasn't been in standout form at Sandy. There's a fair chance we'll get smacked tomorrow and their quality talls might prove a difficult first up proposition. And of course they're playing at the venue of his last senior appearance where he suffered the serious injury that has lead to the stalling of his career.

I want Hugh to get a game and I want him to stay on the list. Most of all I want him to succeed.

Hopefully he gets a chance before the season's done. Maybe against Carlton next week. If not, perhaps in the month of 4 Etihad games that we finish the year on.

Yeah, wet weather footy for a tall back probably wasn't a bad week to miss.

Hate it when you post sensible posts.

Where is the spinning out of control gringo we all love?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How much hate would the selection committee get from players if the club left form players with open spots out. That's a good way to get disharmony in the club.
Generally I agree... was specifically citing the example of how we chose to handle Hunter Clark and how he hasn't had to "earn" his spot back in the 2's as the coaches see his obvious talent and how that is now bearing fruit.

I think they have developed him perfectly this year and would like to see the same type of development afforded a Coffield.

I had a funny feeling watching the Sydney smashing that Coffield would be on the outer because of a couple of weaker contests but was hoping he wasn't singled out as the whole team were terrible. I want him backed in and learning his trade in the seniors like Clark is/has. Stagnating with players not as talented as him will not do him any good at all.

Don't hate the kid at all, just think his one senior game this year showed that at the elite level the game has passed him by. I don't think his selection helps us win this game at all and winning is the main thing. If people think he's more likely to get us a win, fine... I just don't agree.

I struggle to think of a more limited player on an AFL list at the moment generally and one less suited to a game plan revolving around quick, precise, unpredictable and manic ball use that we are using to great effect since half time in the Freo game and that has revitalized our season and the coaching career of Richo.

Not the worst changes given what’s available. Definitely no Nathan Wright fan but we are seriously running out of options. Small defensive forwards is another big weakness for us, if Weller getting a game doesn’t spell that out for you nothing will. Same as our inside mids not many great options but plenty of average ones.

Rice is stiff but with him out means our HB’s are a lot more mobile. Unfortunately there’ll still be plenty of butchers down there.

Generally I agree... was specifically citing the example of how we chose to handle Hunter Clark and how he hasn't had to "earn" his spot back in the 2's as the coaches see his obvious talent and how that is now bearing fruit.

I think they have developed him perfectly this year and would like to see the same type of development afforded a Coffield.

I had a funny feeling watching the Sydney smashing that Coffield would be on the outer because of a couple of weaker contests but was hoping he wasn't singled out as the whole team were terrible. I want him backed in and learning his trade in the seniors like Clark is/has. Stagnating with players not as talented as him will not do him any good at all.

Coffield plays as a small back though and is in a pool with White, Geary, Webster even Roberton etc. His form was falling away when we dropped him and his VFL form has been average. He might be tired or sore or just managed. The high pick kids are usually given every opportunity to show what they can do early as the club tries to sell hope. I guess you have to earn a spot and have a spot open at the right time. That happened to Rice last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back