Autopsy Round 16, 2019: back on the winners list over Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Im with you here mate.

Give the coaches back the runners to get messages out for a start. It allows adjustments to increase scoring faster... that is just a ridiculous rule that was never going to work.

Reducing the rotations further absolutely creates space late in games, it has always been survival of the fittest for top teams slogging it out.
Turnovers & exhaustion will lead to more scoring opportunities & ultimately lead to a more dynamic game & spectator friendly viewing at the game bit more so on TV where the class & skills of players can shine through the muck of structural tactics.

Rugby league as a spectacle is brilliant as the big forwards start to tire and gaps appear.. could you imagine if AFL had only 20 interchanges a match?

Serious question... is this current version of Jags the best we’re going to get? The guy we have, here and now, is this it? I’m not keen to hear “wait till Titch comes back”. Just a genuine question to Hawk supporters.
Looking at when most players peak, probably not. Expect him to have a stronger 2020 than this year, hopefully with more support.

Was just over 66k there last night. Good turn out. Surely thats a good audition for a better fixture next year.

So good to get the win for Macca and Breusty,

Very similar game to last week, probably outworked them in the end but this time we put goals on the board to show for it.

Rugby league as a spectacle is brilliant as the big forwards start to tire and gaps appear.. could you imagine if AFL had only 20 interchanges a match?

It works when the game is close at the end. Im not saying one or the other is right, but wouldnt more one sided games be the result of low interchange

It works when the game is close at the end. Im not saying one or the other is right, but wouldnt more one sided games be the result of low interchange

What if a team is fitter but less skilled? Gives them a chance to exploit late in games to get them back? Most teams are crazy fit but we have probably 3 of the top 10 runners in the league

Serious question... is this current version of Jags the best we’re going to get? The guy we have, here and now, is this it? I’m not keen to hear “wait till Titch comes back”. Just a genuine question to Hawk supporters.
well it really depends on what you think the best version is.

I was happy with his 23 disposal, 4 tackle, 7 clearance, 10 contested possession game today.

Does the muscle work in the midfield, make no mistake. He has a cunnington-like ability to dispose of the ball while being tackled.

However I would've thought Jaeger has some improvement in him. Whether it be disposal in congestion, his ability to be more damaging/effective, his ability to play somewhere else on the ground, whatever it is.

#1 draft pick, plays 2 full good seasons at GC right next to Gary Ablett Jnr. Then does not play a single game between 2015-16. Finally in 2017, he returns to the footy field in the Brown and Gold.

2018 he plays just about a full season, and definitely "breaks out" as one of the better midfielders in the competition. Not just a young talent anymore.

2019 he has now, for the first time in his career, had the challenge of being the #1 midfielder in an AFL team. His support is Shiels, Worpel, Glass, Breust, Howe and Poppy. His supporting cast really has been 1 midfielder, 3 developing younger players and 2 forwards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore is not really a forward pocket - he lacks the acceleration and pace. He’s more suited to a high forward flank where he can use his tank.

Would love to see wingard, breust and Ollie in same side (hovering around Lewis) - suddenly we look dangerous

Plenty to enjoy about last night. It certainly wasn't pretty at times, but when you're down in the dumps a bit, ugly wins are vital to future development. A few thoughts on some of our key contributors;

Sicily was epic. Intercept mark king, and his disposal is just sublime. Best player on the field

Impeys work-rate to get involved all the time is ridiculous. Run and carry is fantastic but the best things for me are his defensive acts. For a small bloke, his contested marking tally must be right up there

Lewis. The kid is just a player. Contested marking, goal kicking, tackling, second efforts and the ability to work his opponent over. He has all the tools a key forward needs. I'm very excited for what the future holds for him

Shiels was massive in the last quarter. Was a bit quiet during the game, but three contested marks in the last quarter and some fantastic efforts were pivotal

Burgoyne with that spin out of the tackle to setup the goal. Those moments define his career. What a legend

O'Brien was doing a pretty solid job in defense I thought, but it was the last quarter when he really shone. A couple of big clunks at important times was massive. It may well be last chance saloon for Tim, but he is taking it with both hands thus far

Hanrahan; I'm absolutely loving the energy he has bought to our forward half, it's generally difficult for players in their first handful of games to stay involved throughout the game, but he has done a terrific job in his first 2. Even worked right up to the back flank to offer an option for the switch a couple of times, which is ultra pleasing

Very honorable mentions to Breust and McEvoy on their performances in their 200th games

57 Inside 50's to 32.
If we can just convert more opportunities once we go inside, we will win more games.
Really reckon this is where Wingard will add sooooo much value when he comes in and gets used to structures. Not the first time we've dominated inside 50s. Reckon we've got the components to challenge already in place, but when we add a little more polish we'll look bloody good.

Impey outmarked Cox twice in contests that Cox should have at least halved. Poor efforts by Cox on both occasions.
This is where Nash adds so much value. He never seems to be outmarked. Really makes the "bomb it long" game plan far more effective. Again, with Wingard at the feet this will result in a lot more opportunities.

well it really depends on what you think the best version is.

I was happy with his 23 disposal, 4 tackle, 7 clearance, 10 contested possession game today.

Does the muscle work in the midfield, make no mistake. He has a cunnington-like ability to dispose of the ball while being tackled.

However I would've thought Jaeger has some improvement in him. Whether it be disposal in congestion, his ability to be more damaging/effective, his ability to play somewhere else on the ground, whatever it is.

#1 draft pick, plays 2 full good seasons at GC right next to Gary Ablett Jnr. Then does not play a single game between 2015-16. Finally in 2017, he returns to the footy field in the Brown and Gold.

2018 he plays just about a full season, and definitely "breaks out" as one of the better midfielders in the competition. Not just a young talent anymore.

2019 he has now, for the first time in his career, had the challenge of being the #1 midfielder in an AFL team. His support is Shiels, Worpel, Glass, Breust, Howe and Poppy. His supporting cast really has been 1 midfielder, 3 developing younger players and 2 forwards.

The current version for mine is a very good midfielder which is fine, what I was really wishing for was a top 10-20 player in the comp, that’s what we essentially paid for. I think he is an elite complimentary piece, but certainly is not the number 1 Star that we all envisioned.

I would have Jags along the same level as say Dylan Shiel, Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch etc. very good mids but not the upper upper echelon, I certainly think he’ll be much better with Titch and Cogs if it was to happen, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was expecting a bit more.

The current version for mine is a very good midfielder which is fine, what I was really wishing for was a top 10-20 player in the comp, that’s what we essentially paid for. I think he is an elite complimentary piece, but certainly is not the number 1 Star that we all envisioned.

I would have Jags along the same level as say Dylan Shiel, Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch etc. very good mids but not the upper upper echelon, I certainly think he’ll be much better with Titch and Cogs if it was to happen, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was expecting a bit more.

Some players are just better when they have a support cast around them, i really expect a big improvement in him once titch is back.

I think he is an all round better player this year and his kicking is far improved, there was times last year he couldn't hit a target to save himself

Some players are just better when they have a support cast around them, i really expect a big improvement in him once titch is back.

I think he is an all round better player this year and his kicking is far improved, there was times last year he couldn't hit a target to save himself

DE is 61%, 4% lower than Shiel.. his disposal is one area that has disappointed me tbh.

BBB86115-1338-4F40-AF83-2474828D54F3.png
Omera has been ever so slightly more productive than Worpel, but you see here even Worpel has better DE% which shows Jags is quite poor with ball in hand. He does a lot right Omera, dynamic guy and a brute who can break away from stoppages but he has a lot to work on if he wants to be elite.

Was just over 66k there last night. Good turn out. Surely thats a good audition for a better fixture next year.

So good to get the win for Macca and Breusty,

Very similar game to last week, probably outworked them in the end but this time we put goals on the board to show for it.
Too right. And hopefully we’ll never see us shafted with the amount of Sunday games like we had early this year. I’m sure Jeff will continue to make a noise about this at seasons end.

View attachment 704241
Omera has been ever so slightly more productive than Worpel, but you see here even Worpel has better DE% which shows Jags is quite poor with ball in hand. He does a lot right Omera, dynamic guy and a brute who can break away from stoppages but he has a lot to work on if he wants to be elite.
TOG indicates the difference here. An extra 7% shows the whereas Worpel is still being managed/blowing up a little, JOM has been let off the leash for the first time since injuries. Would expect that he will go to another level next year with another full season behind him, people to feed him the ball (rather than just getting it himself, which lowers the DE) and more familiarity with structures and a better support cast.

He lifts his DE by a few % and he'll be elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back