Autopsy Round 16, 2019: back on the winners list over Collingwood

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TOG indicates the difference here. An extra 7% shows the whereas Worpel is still being managed/blowing up a little, JOM has been let off the leash for the first time since injuries. Would expect that he will go to another level next year with another full season behind him, people to feed him the ball (rather than just getting it himself, which lowers the DE) and more familiarity with structures and a better support cast.

He lifts his DE by a few % and he'll be elite.

I'd definitely like to see him get it on the fringes a bit more, prefer to see running downhill rather than east/west where you can see he struggles to hit targets. I think his ball drop leaves a lot of room for error, it's very high and I think that's probably going to stop him from being elite.

Like we've all said, he will be much better as the 3rd best mid rather than the best.. but I do feel we paid for a guy who's supposed to be the number 1 and a top 10 player. Let's see what he does next year, could win a bloody Charlie for all I know.

Cyzzametimbres

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd definitely like to see him get it on the fringes a bit more, prefer to see running downhill rather than east/west where you can see he struggles to hit targets. I think his ball drop leaves a lot of room for error, it's very high and I think that's probably going to stop him from being elite.

Like we've all said, he will be much better as the 3rd best mid rather than the best.. but I do feel we paid for a guy who's supposed to be the number 1 and a top 10 player. Let's see what he does next year, could win a bloody Charlie for all I know.
Hopefully he gets it more on the outside next year and Sammy can work with him on his disposal in the offseason.

Hawkers Heroes

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2009
In a House
AFL Club
Hawthorn
JOM will only improve his disposal, he does rush a bit but this is caused by a young inexperienced midfield. Once TOM comes back they will become the Dynamic Duo.

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I get your point but at the same time its a positive thing that he is able to create a contest and bring the ball to ground even when hes out of position. The pressure he applies up forward is a big part of the reason that the Pies kept kicking it straight back to us on their way out of the backline.
I am quite happy to have his big body spoiling the opposition's intercept marking. We need this. Also he actually has good clean hands and had shown he is able to release players in better position by way of quick handball. I think Clarko would be pleased with what he adds so far.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Man just watched the last quarter again. That switch of TOB to the forward line was instrumental. Just gave us some really nice lead up targets. TOB was just fantastic in the last.

Actually excited with TOB now. He is a legit swingman. Gives us so much flexibility and he's actually getting better and better with his contested marking thanks to being down back.
It shows the patience you need. (I'm not talking about the 7 years prior btw)

Against the swans? Or maybe it was Essendon, he was a legit disaster as a swingman. Clarko has worked him beautifully in the second half of this year to get the best out of him.

I reckon he's been given license to not play safe, which is why he's doing some horrendous turnovers. That centreing kick in the last minute of the game was clearly the wrong decision. But it had to be centimentre perfect and it was.

Snibs

All Australian
May 25, 2007
Towaninee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Backline playing solid footy, as Clarkson said in the presser, there is the nucleus of a premiership team assembled back there. Impey is a star. Need to add some quality footballers (not athletes) to the midfield and forward half and we are not far away. Mitchell and Wingard will address this somewhat but an aerial presence to support Lewis should be a priority.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The current version for mine is a very good midfielder which is fine, what I was really wishing for was a top 10-20 player in the comp, that’s what we essentially paid for. I think he is an elite complimentary piece, but certainly is not the number 1 Star that we all envisioned.

I would have Jags along the same level as say Dylan Shiel, Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch etc. very good mids but not the upper upper echelon, I certainly think he’ll be much better with Titch and Cogs if it was to happen, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was expecting a bit more.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree with you. But heres my point. Dylan Shiel is one year older than Jaeger, yet has played 64 more games(3 seasons worth give/take) than Jaegs. I think the fact that Jaeger has played so little football leaves him a lot of room for improvement. I'd bet that the 164 game Jaeger is a better player than dylan shiel.

Snibs

All Australian
May 25, 2007
Towaninee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The current version for mine is a very good midfielder which is fine, what I was really wishing for was a top 10-20 player in the comp, that’s what we essentially paid for. I think he is an elite complimentary piece, but certainly is not the number 1 Star that we all envisioned.

I would have Jags along the same level as say Dylan Shiel, Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch etc. very good mids but not the upper upper echelon, I certainly think he’ll be much better with Titch and Cogs if it was to happen, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was expecting a bit more.

This is spot on, his ceiling is not as high as we had hoped (and paid) but we have a pretty useful player on our hands.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
Late to the party on this one but really just wrapt the guys got a win after just missing out last week.

While the first 3/4s weren’t pretty I thought we played how we needed too and negated and made all of Collingwoods strong areas ineffective.
If we had a decent key position marking forward ( no offence to Lewis who will be a beauty ) we probably are 4-5 goals up at that stage .

Real confidence boost for the team in general and to eat up a 3 goal margin and get the win is huge.

We may only snag another win or two but hopefully the last few weeks show there is some young quality coming through despite the media spin.

Very excited for next season

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks

Yep - am sure we were hoping for more. He should be fully fit - not sure another preseason is going to make a difference as his fitness is defined by managing his knee (rather than training age).

He’s a very good midfielder - but no different to the top 2-3 mids at every side - a top 50 - 100 player rather than the top 10 player we’d hoped for. Not convinced he can clean up his disposal by foot enough to ever be elite - and could go backwards next year if he’s pushed more outside as Mitchell comes in.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yeah I agree with you. But heres my point. Dylan Shiel is one year older than Jaeger, yet has played 64 more games(3 seasons worth give/take) than Jaegs. I think the fact that Jaeger has played so little football leaves him a lot of room for improvement. I'd bet that the 164 game Jaeger is a better player than dylan shiel.
[/QUOTE]

Athletes start to decline from 26 onward, that’s what the science says anyway so if we take that with some relevance then next year is the year we should see the best of Jags.

I don’t think the fact he has played less footy means anything, he relies on his explosiveness to be damaging as his actual skill set by foot is poor. The only way he can become elite is if he becomes a 20+ goal kicker and improved his DE% by 10% as well as still gathering 27-28 touches a game.

We’ve seen what Cogs does, we’ve seen Titch do what he does, Jags is a good level or 2 below those 2. But gee, he will be a key cog, along with Worpel for the next next 5-7 years.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Well a day has gone... I'm still a bit the same in that a loss would probably have been better for a draft pick but who cares a win is a win is a win.

Really loved the fact we probably won based on one thing only, forwards taking marks (or at least spilling it). It's something Clarko has never been big on. tbh.

But if you take out Mitch and TOB and their marks perhaps nothing else, well in the last at least well we do lose. It's a simple fact one mark means they start sticking a third player in the contest and if we don't mark well we should have an extra at ground level. People will never understand how influential David Hale was by simply being that guy who if he didn't mark... didn't allow them to mark or got it out of bounds in the get in out of 'Hale' play. It was the play where we rarely had a shot unless David marked but always had a chance to reset on our terms in our forward line.

Football is simple sometimes... but often very over complicated. The get out of 'Hale' play was simple and one of the main reasons we won three premierships in a row. The last quarter of having Mitch Lewis and TOB mark or spill the ball opened up our forward line... and our backmen superstars got to see some reward for their dominance.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I recon he has a bit more to give.

Another preseason, better midfield support & as the second “inside” guy behind Mitchell he can set up better for clearances rather than trying to drive it from deep inside a stoppage also allowing him to spread easier.

I think his consistency will be high 20s to early 30s, 5+tackles ect ect.... my money would be him hitting the scoreboard more to be his ticket to the elite category. He can do that if he isn’t playing as the number 1. Same as Cogs at the Giants... can play number 1 but is “the guy” as the secondary not the primary.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
I'm really interested to see where O'Meara finishes in our BnF. He's an absolute bull. Unlike the Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Dusty, Shuey types who are free to play 100% attacking, he seems to have a very balanced defensive versus offensive balance. More like Fyfe

The thing I haven't seen enough of is raw brilliance. There was a bit of it early in the season, but not so much recently. He just seems like someone I would hate to play against/near because he really crunches people in tackles.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Athletes start to decline from 26 onward, that’s what the science says anyway so if we take that with some relevance then next year is the year we should see the best of Jags.

I would argue that with more games and experience, players can learn to better use their skills/strengths no matter what they be, explosiveness, elite foot skills etc.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
I need to say it again - we're a far better side with Howe in the team.
Just love ol crazy eyes.

When you look at the Pendlebury incident in the game highlights - hawks received a free kick and Pendlbeury decided to tackle Howe a good 1-2 seconds later and drag him to the ground. Then ol crazy eyes kneed him in the head (accidentally) and Pendlebury had a bit of a sook.

When guys of that calibre are getting ruffled you know your'e on to something. Shiels becomes a much more valauble player with Howe there.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just love ol crazy eyes.

When you look at the Pendlebury incident in the game highlights - hawks received a free kick and Pendlbeury decided to tackle Howe a good 1-2 seconds later and drag him to the ground. Then ol crazy eyes kneed him in the head (accidentally) and Pendlebury had a bit of a sook.

When guys of that calibre are getting ruffled you know your'e on to something. Shiels becomes a much more valauble player with Howe there.
He definitely sures up the midfield balance. You'd like him to add some things to his game, and improve in the contest as well, but he has a profound effect on our midfield and it's effectiveness.

Hawkers Heroes

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2009
In a House
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just love ol crazy eyes.

Crazy Eyes haven't heard that one yet :D

Back