Autopsy Round 16, 2019: back on the winners list over Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell did the work of two midfielders.

Mitchell + O'Meara + Shiels = 4 midfielders
O'Meara + Worpel + Shiels = 3 midfielders

Starting mids next year will (hopefully) be:

Mitchell + O'Meara + Big off season A grade signing.
Then those that rotate through to support are: Shiels, Burgoyne, Worpel, Wingard (then Howe, etc)

The difference between what we're fielding this year and what we'll be fielding next year will be incredible.

Where do u think Worpel and Shiels will rotate through? I think they need definite positions.

If we get the luxury of mids to spare again, the most flexible ones will spend time elsewhere like hodge burgers and lewis.
Might be the best way for tmitch to ease back into it after the leg break

Clarkson: The next wave

Hawthorn Coach Alastair Clarkson says the phase the club is currently going through is a familiar one.

Clarkson said exposure and confidence at the level would be the main focus for the Hawks' nucleus of youth.

Please watch Clarkos presser for some perspective. The kids are making some mistakes but that's the learning curve. Please be patience and enjoy the journey.
What I find fascinating is not just the development of players “as players” but the development of players as leaders.

At what stage do we not need Hodge in the half back line?

At what stage do we not need Roughy in the forward line?

At what stage do we not need Smith or Burgers in the midfield?

Hawthorn has to ask these questions. If we develop young leaders we can be bolder in list management

I must have been drinking last night because I either missed it or it did not happen.
I have watched the replay and Glass does turn it over quite a few times and not necessarily under alot of pressure. Can't recall how many but there were at least three I remember and two lead to goals.

As for the 50, umpires need to use their whistle to get players attention. Glass could not hear the umpire over the crowd.

The current version for mine is a very good midfielder which is fine, what I was really wishing for was a top 10-20 player in the comp, that’s what we essentially paid for. I think he is an elite complimentary piece, but certainly is not the number 1 Star that we all envisioned.

I would have Jags along the same level as say Dylan Shiel, Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch etc. very good mids but not the upper upper echelon, I certainly think he’ll be much better with Titch and Cogs if it was to happen, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was expecting a bit more.
Tige how do you rate Martin's performance this year without Cotchin around?

Tige how do you rate Martin's performance this year without Cotchin around?

Below his elite best, but he still kicks alot of goals and is averaging 27 touches at 66% DE, go along with 13 goals and it's still a good year.

I have watched the replay and Glass does turn it over quite a few times and not necessarily under alot of pressure. Can't recall how many but there were at least three I remember and two lead to goals.

As for the 50, umpires need to use their whistle to get players attention. Glass could not hear the umpire over the crowd.

I watched a game following that, and the umpire went up to the player to direct him to go back off the mark.

In Glass's instance he was standing a decent 20 odd metres away. Doesn't seem fair that the leniency of who's manning the mark and the chances they're given depends on the umpire.

Not directly.

Apologies for the delay in getting this up - here are the midfield frequency stats from your game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 22 Bounces

O'Meara 20
Henderson 17 wing
Worpel 15 (1w)
Smith 14 wing
Shiels 10
Scully 10 wing
Burgoyne 8
Puopolo 8
Howe 6
Gunston 2 wing

McEvoy 22 (Grundy 22)

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

O'Meara 5
Worpel 1
McEvoy 1
Burgoyne 1
Howe 1
Hanrahan 1

1st Half - 10

O'Meara 8
Henderson 8 wing
Smith 7 wing
Worpel 6 (1w)
Burgoyne 6
Shiels 4
Howe 4
Puopolo 3
Scully 2 wing
Gunston 2 wing

Final Term - 9

O'Meara 9
Worpel 7
Scully 7 wing
Henderson 6 wing
Smith 5 wing
Shiels 5
Puopolo 3
Howe 2
Burgoyne 1

Notes:
- First analysed game in 4 seasons where both lead rucks attended every bounce. This is the first time McEvoy has achieved this feat
- Howe didn't have a start in Q2 or 3; Scully didn't have one in Q1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back