Preview Round 16, 2019 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great preview 3KZ is Football :thumbsu: :cool:.

I'm more confident of a massive upset for us this Sunday than I was straight after the game v the Demons, win this and we announce ourselves as a serious top 4 contender and from there we are guaranteed at least 1 home final. We WILL win if we bring our best intensity and pressure game, if the Giants bring theirs as well it'll be one of the games of the season, stars on every line of both sides. Can not wait for this game.

Wouldn't it be a dream scenario to host the Magpies in a Gabba preliminary final in front of 38,000 and flog them.

I be happy to death ride them out of the 8 :) he he
Although pies in a prelim and win by a point after the siren on a mark that should of been a free. :)
With us 5 points down and Dan McStay having the shot from 25 metres out, directly in front. Look away now.

Great preview 3KZ. It's going to be a cracking game of footy.

We match up well with GWS and I really see that Carlton loss a few weeks ago as a big turning point for our guys. Yes, they looked lethargic that game, but it taught us that we need to bring the intensity to win. Our 3rd quarter in the last 2 games we have really put the foot down and we all know what they call the 3rd quarter :)

We've had come from behind wins against higher rated opponents, sneaking home wins, grinding out a result wins and a single 10-ish goal thumping win against a wannabe. We need to a 6-8 goal mauling of a genuine flag fancy to complete the set and I think that's going to be this weekend. Our contested ball game is top shelf, as is our clearance work. We have the team to roll these blokes who I think are very fragile right now.

LIONS BY 8 GOALS :D

Be like a scary movie when your a kid. Behind the couch ears blocked.. then sneak a look :)
McCarthy missed one on the weekend he been like 11 straight earlier this year.
McCarthy was and probably still is our most accurate set shot for goal. I’d be comfortable if he had the ball in his hands in a clutch situation after the siren situation anywhere inside 40 metres out on a slight angle.

Be like a scary movie when your a kid. Behind the couch ears blocked.. then sneak a look :)
McCarthy missed one on the weekend he been like 11 straight earlier this year.

11 straight with a couple of out of bounds on the full.

We've got a fair bit of positive media coverage this season, in fact more than most, On The Couch in particular we are regular features, got a good few minutes last night, the bigger stories this week are Carlton winning, Pies and Port losing, caretaker coaches, Majak coming back, in fact last night on 360 they had to apologise for not talking about the Dogs.

The couch is great which is why I didn't mention them. I think 360 do bits and pieces but not anywhere near what they would usually do. I have noted 4-5 mondays after wins, where we aren't even mentioned in the first 20 minutes where the dissect the round. I am convinced and have been for a while that whatley just has no time for us. They did do charlie's goal againts the saints as the 4 calls last week which was fun. I think overall, given our rise - 360 does bugger all in comparison to what they would do if it were Carlton or the like. Classifieds does little bits and pieces in the end section where they are wrapping things up.

strongly disagree that we have had 'more than most' though. No way.

With us 5 points down and Dan McStay having the shot from 25 metres out, directly in front. Look away now.

McStay doesn't even miss. He looks and aims to the left and kicks in directly through the points, mid post height. some serious psychological issues in front of goal. It baffles the mind. He is still my boy, but you just KNEW he was missing that shot on Sunday arvo. Just went back,aimed awkwardly, kicked a point, put his mouth guard back in and jogged away as if it was normal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The couch is great which is why I didn't mention them. I think 360 do bits and pieces but not anywhere near what they would usually do. I have noted 4-5 mondays after wins, where we aren't even mentioned in the first 20 minutes where the dissect the round. I am convinced and have been for a while that whatley just has no time for us. They did do charlie's goal againts the saints as the 4 calls last week which was fun. I think overall, given our rise - 360 does bugger all in comparison to what they would do if it were Carlton or the like. Classifieds does little bits and pieces in the end section where they are wrapping things up.

strongly disagree that we have had 'more than most' though. No way.

Fair enough that's your opinion, but my opinion is that in these forums the Vic media's anti Brisbane bias has always been exaggerated. Every time I turn one on they give us positive coverage. 360 is less footy discussion and essentially footy news/tabloids. A scandal free team playing well isn't that interesting. Didn't even get a serve after losing to Carlton. Agree that Whateley doesn't seem to like us, but Robbo loves us. On the Couch as you say are great and that's the best footy show on TV for me. My 2c

McStay doesn't even miss. He looks and aims to the left and kicks in directly through the points, mid post height. some serious psychological issues in front of goal. It baffles the mind. He is still my boy, but you just KNEW he was missing that shot on Sunday arvo. Just went back,aimed awkwardly, kicked a point, put his mouth guard back in and jogged away as if it was normal.
As soon as he lined up you knew he was 100/1.

Who knows the reason.

Fair enough that's your opinion, but my opinion is that in these forums the Vic media's anti Brisbane bias has always been exaggerated. Every time I turn one on they give us positive coverage. 360 is less footy discussion and essentially footy news/tabloids. A scandal free team playing well isn't that interesting. Didn't even get a serve after losing to Carlton. Agree that Whateley doesn't seem to like us, but Robbo loves us. On the Couch as you say are great and that's the best footy show on TV for me. My 2c
I reckon we get minimal coverage for where we're at . They love talking about a Vic club that is struggling or just having a bad patch and analyse it to death.

That's all good . Whenever they start pumping us and telling our players how good they are is the kiss of death

MATCH DETAILS: Sunday 7 July, Sydney Showgrounds Stadium. 4:40pm start.

Head to Head

GWS 6 wins v Brisbane Lions 2

Greatest Winning Margin
GWS 79 points (Rd. 17, 2016)
Brisbane Lions 92 Points (Rd. 8, 2012)

PREVIEW

Let's start with this:

Jeremy Cameron got five weeks for this hit on Harris Andrews, but that wasn't the end of the story, because many of us believe we still have unfinished business with GWS. We haven't beaten Greater Western Sydney since Round 21, 2013 and this Sunday we have an opportunity to not only rectify that situation, but to give Jeremy Cameron a little payback where it counts, on the scoreboard.

When we last played GWS we had only won one game and while we were showing glimpses of promise, many were expecting that we still had a few years to go before we were truly competitive again. Well haven't times changed. The LID HAS COME OFF in 2019 and the Brisbane Lions are serious finals contenders again. This week against GWS we are going to announce to the AFL Public that we have well and truly arrived.

The difference this year has been our midfield depth, with Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Mitch Robinson in stellar form. Lachie Neale and Dayne Zorko, in particular have been incredible, with Brisbane the only club to have two players in the AFL Top Ten Player Rankings, with Neale ranked at 7th and Zorko 9th.This is where we are going to win the game against GWS, because our midfield is a more cohesive and hard at it unit. There is no room for complacency, because GWS has a good midfield, with Taylor, Coniglio, Kelly, Reid and Hopper all capable of getting hold of the ball. GWS average 40.5 clearances, per game against our 39.6, but it is in the tackling department that we hold sway and this is where I expect us to win, not only in the midfield, but all over the ground. Dayne Zorko is second in the competition for tackles and Brisbane leads the competition for tackles Inside 50. Put simply, I expect us to out muscle GWS.

Around the ground, I see winners on every line. Our defence has really come of age this year, with Darcy Gardiner, in particular proving to be one of the most reliable and underrated players in the competition. We all know how great Harris Andrews is, but add to that the football genius of Luke Hodge, Ryan Lester’s true grit, the speed of Noah Answerth and the composure of Zac Bailey and we are starting to look very formidable. As discussed elsewhere, don't be surprised to see Cam Rayner bolting out of defense too this week.

Credit to Chris Fagan because our defenders seem more willing to take the game on and run the ball out of defence down the centre corridor and I expect to see plenty of this on the weekend.

The midfield has been discussed, but it is in attack that we need to improve and this week we are all hoping for a team effort. Selection has been a vexed issue on our board this year, so I am going to leave that alone, but it is fair to say we need more than one of our key forwards to step up if we are to kick a winning score. Charlie Cameron and Eric Hipwood seem to take it in turns, which is not surprising, particularly given the tag that goes on to Cameron each week, but this week we are all hoping they both RUN RIOT! Lincoln McCarthy has been a gun for us all year and he also has the ability to push up into the midfield to help out. McCarthy is a complete footballer and an amazing addition to our list. A revitalized Alan Christensen is another massive plus for us. If we can get a little more out of whoever is at Full Forward, I can see us really cashing in on our midfield dominance. It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, we also need to kick straight.

At this stage it appears that THE BIG O is going to be an out and you would expect Witherden to return, but other than that, I will leave team selection to Fagan.

In closing, this is the sort of a game that the boys have been looking forward to. Going in as 'underdogs' is going to suit us just fine and if there are any LIDS STILL ON before this one, expect them to be OBLITERATED after we bring home the points.

BRISBANE TO WIN THIS GAME BY 32 POINTS

P.S. Daniel Rich -
in stunning form. He seems to be growing in confidence and significance to our team every week. His tackling was inspirational against Melbourne and he is playing in career best form. Having players around him who are performing well has freed him up and he is enjoying a real renaissance as a player. He presents a challenge to GWS, because if they can’t tag him, his trusty left boot is going to carve them up. Rich has taken all aspects of his game to a new level.

Great work 3KZ.

One thing about our style vexes me . Two or three times last week Rich broke from the centre and started looking for options . In fact every one of our players did that when they had a free crack at it except for Berry who sadly bounced the ball ,but I'm tipping he would have looked for options as well .

My question is this, when you've got the longest and most accurate left foot in the game why would you kick it to a contest between your 5.9 guy and their 6.5 guy when you're on the run 60m out

Let the guys break the shackles and drill a goal or get a searing kick into the square where anything can happen . Overdoing the team thing can sometimes be a momentum killer

McCarthy was and probably still is our most accurate set shot for goal. I’d be comfortable if he had the ball in his hands in a clutch situation after the siren situation anywhere inside 40 metres out on a slight angle.

I’d take Jarrod Lyons I think, him or Lachie Neal..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great work 3KZ.

One thing about our style vexes me . Two or three times last week Rich broke from the centre and started looking for options . In fact every one of our players did that when they had a free crack at it except for Berry who sadly bounced the ball ,but I'm tipping he would have looked for options as well .

My question is this, when you've got the longest and most accurate left foot in the game why would you kick it to a contest between your 5.9 guy and their 6.5 guy when you're on the run 60m out

Let the guys break the shackles and drill a goal or get a searing kick into the square where anything can happen . Overdoing the team thing can sometimes be a momentum killer
Do you think they were looking for a forward on the lead? That was my comment during the game when Berry took his ill fated bounce. Our Full Forward was actually standing flat footed next to him at the time. I know royboys4eva has raised this point a number of times and it has been the subject of numerous discussions in the DERRINALPHIL STAND at the Docklands Stadium. I wonder if the missing link in our forward line isn't a Full Forward who leads out of the goal square and presents a moving target. I’d love to see Rich hitting up a Daniel Bradshaw type leading forward. When McStay gets on the lead he looks great, but he doesn’t do it often enough. I don’t know the Reserves well enough to know if we have anyone currently who could play that role.

Last edited:
Why can’t we win the flag this year? If I was a betting man, I’d have a few bob on us.
No reason we can’t. As one of the panel members on Footy Classified said last night, Geelong is the clear favourite, but outside of them, it’s anyones for the taking. Their comment was that if we ‘believe’ we can win it, we just might as the Dogs and Tigers did and even West Coast last year when they were far from favourites at this stage of the season.

Would love nothing more to smash the Giants and stick it up that campaigner Jeremy Cameron.

Great preview 3KZ is Football :thumbsu:

Big big game. Not a lot of risk for us, but a massive opportunity to take a big scalp and really announce ourselves as genuine finals contenders. Boys should be hungry and keen to knock them off.

MATCH DETAILS: Sunday 7 July, Sydney Showgrounds Stadium. 4:40pm start.

Head to Head

GWS 6 wins v Brisbane Lions 2

Greatest Winning Margin
GWS 79 points (Rd. 17, 2016)
Brisbane Lions 92 Points (Rd. 8, 2012)

PREVIEW

Let's start with this:

Jeremy Cameron got five weeks for this hit on Harris Andrews, but that wasn't the end of the story, because many of us believe we still have unfinished business with GWS. We haven't beaten Greater Western Sydney since Round 21, 2013 and this Sunday we have an opportunity to not only rectify that situation, but to give Jeremy Cameron a little payback where it counts, on the scoreboard.

When we last played GWS we had only won one game and while we were showing glimpses of promise, many were expecting that we still had a few years to go before we were truly competitive again. Well haven't times changed. The LID HAS COME OFF in 2019 and the Brisbane Lions are serious finals contenders again. This week against GWS we are going to announce to the AFL Public that we have well and truly arrived.

The difference this year has been our midfield depth, with Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Mitch Robinson in stellar form. Lachie Neale and Dayne Zorko, in particular have been incredible, with Brisbane the only club to have two players in the AFL Top Ten Player Rankings, with Neale ranked at 7th and Zorko 9th.This is where we are going to win the game against GWS, because our midfield is a more cohesive and hard at it unit. There is no room for complacency, because GWS has a good midfield, with Taylor, Coniglio, Kelly, Reid and Hopper all capable of getting hold of the ball. GWS average 40.5 clearances, per game against our 39.6, but it is in the tackling department that we hold sway and this is where I expect us to win, not only in the midfield, but all over the ground. Dayne Zorko is second in the competition for tackles and Brisbane leads the competition for tackles Inside 50. Put simply, I expect us to out muscle GWS.

Around the ground, I see winners on every line. Our defence has really come of age this year, with Darcy Gardiner, in particular proving to be one of the most reliable and underrated players in the competition. We all know how great Harris Andrews is, but add to that the football genius of Luke Hodge, Ryan Lester’s true grit, the speed of Noah Answerth and the composure of Zac Bailey and we are starting to look very formidable. As discussed elsewhere, don't be surprised to see Cam Rayner bolting out of defense too this week.

Credit to Chris Fagan because our defenders seem more willing to take the game on and run the ball out of defence down the centre corridor and I expect to see plenty of this on the weekend.

The midfield has been discussed, but it is in attack that we need to improve and this week we are all hoping for a team effort. Selection has been a vexed issue on our board this year, so I am going to leave that alone, but it is fair to say we need more than one of our key forwards to step up if we are to kick a winning score. Charlie Cameron and Eric Hipwood seem to take it in turns, which is not surprising, particularly given the tag that goes on to Cameron each week, but this week we are all hoping they both RUN RIOT! Lincoln McCarthy has been a gun for us all year and he also has the ability to push up into the midfield to help out. McCarthy is a complete footballer and an amazing addition to our list. A revitalized Alan Christensen is another massive plus for us. If we can get a little more out of whoever is at Full Forward, I can see us really cashing in on our midfield dominance. It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, we also need to kick straight.

At this stage it appears that THE BIG O is going to be an out and you would expect Witherden to return, but other than that, I will leave team selection to Fagan.

In closing, this is the sort of a game that the boys have been looking forward to. Going in as 'underdogs' is going to suit us just fine and if there are any LIDS STILL ON before this one, expect them to be OBLITERATED after we bring home the points.

BRISBANE TO WIN THIS GAME BY 32 POINTS

P.S. Daniel Rich -
in stunning form. He seems to be growing in confidence and significance to our team every week. His tackling was inspirational against Melbourne and he is playing in career best form. Having players around him who are performing well has freed him up and he is enjoying a real renaissance as a player. He presents a challenge to GWS, because if they can’t tag him, his trusty left boot is going to carve them up. Rich has taken all aspects of his game to a new level.

Great preview and I agree on Gardiner, he has been massive this year- he gets the job done every week and hardly ever makes a mistake.

Do you think they were looking for a forward on the lead? That was my comment during the game when Berry took his ill fated bounce. Our Full Forward was actually standing flat footed next to him at the time. I know royboys4eva has raised this point a number of times and it has been the subject of numerous discussions in the DERRINALPHIL STAND at the Docklands Stadium. I wonder if the missing link in our forward line isn't a Full Forward who leads out of the goal square and presents a moving target. I’d love to see Rich hitting up a Daniel Bradshaw type leading forward. When McStay gets on the lead he looks great, but he doesn’t do it often enough. I don’t know the Reserves well enough to know if we have anyone currently who could play that role.

To me it's quite a simple equation . If I was coaching I'd tell Rich any time you're within range and have an unpressured shot just try and kick it unless there's an unmarked option with an unmissable shot .

Would you rather Rich having a ping from the 50m line or McStay etc having a set shot from 25m , that's even if you're able to effect the pass and they can get it . Even McCarthy when he was running into the open goal last week had a good think for 2 or 3 strides where he could give it off and there was no one there. One of the reasons they often muff these easy chances is that they seem half guilty having to take it . It's not just us ,it's most clubs.

If you're a hungry enough player you just eat those opportunities, these days I don't mind the way they pretend everyone has to be selfless but keeping 20% of that for yourself when it's obvious should be drummed into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back