Preview Round 16, 2019 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier in the thread we talked about the AFL media not giving us a go. Wayne Carey in tipping said - Brisbane could have played any other club last week and would have lost, Melbourne played their worst game for the year. I do hope we beat GWS, flying under the radar is good but as f**'s says we need some nourishment that we are being taken serious.

This is such a BS comment by Carey. Compare their effort to St Kildas last week? their effort had character. We had a bad first half with mistakes, turnovers, missed shots. But it was a great win. It wasn't pretty by any measure but the contest was being widely praised as a bruising, tough, intense affair. some people were saying 'best game of the year' on social media while it was unfolding. After a bad first half, we then came good and steam rolled them in the end. We would have beaten most teams around us in the league with that effort at the Gabba. Melbourne played ok in parts, their intent was great, they just lack finish ATM.

I heard Whately repeat a few times throughout the week, "that was deplorable from Melbourne, they were horrible on the weekend" it's just a bad take. They were not horrible. Both teams lacked polish but it was a ripper, I have watched the replay 3-4 times.

I think the duck has exaggerated a bit but agree with his point generally. The sentiment around my section was at half time we were lucky to be only down by a goal or so. First half was most frustrating game of the year, for me. Apart from 2nd quarter in the Dogs game. A top 4 team on their game would have torn us apart in the first half. Skills were horrible. Tackling and pressure were decent. Best game of the year? Ask a Melbourne fan if they think they were horrible or not? Second half was amazing. Hope we do not rely on recognition from the media for "nourishment". Cheers.

If you don't drink it with your mouth under the tap, are you even drinking beer?
It’s why Dlanod has a lifetime ban from the SCG.
No joke that's the exact reason I was banned from Edgeley Park in Manchester, I did it to impress Sébastien Chabal and he cracked up at it. Got a ride in his Smart car too, not much room in there after he hopped in though.

I think the duck has exaggerated a bit but agree with his point generally. The sentiment around my section was at half time we were lucky to be only down by a goal or so. First half was most frustrating game of the year, for me. Apart from 2nd quarter in the Dogs game. A top 4 team on their game would have torn us apart in the first half. Skills were horrible. Tackling and pressure were decent. Best game of the year? Ask a Melbourne fan if they think they were horrible or not? Second half was amazing. Hope we do not rely on recognition from the media for "nourishment". Cheers.
I wasn't at the ground but the distinct impression I got watching it was to the contrary, that due to our own ineptness Melbourne were very lucky we weren't 4 to 5 goals up at half time.

No joke that's the exact reason I was banned from Edgeley Park in Manchester, I did it to impress Sébastien Chabal and he cracked up at it. Got a ride in his Smart car too, not much room in there after he hopped in though.

What is your life.

Patented #tairygreene story.

My thoughts were that Melbourne were lucky not to have been down by quite.a few and the half time stats backed this up.

"Oscar's been a good player for us in the ruck and up forward and those long-down-the-line plays," Fagan said.
"Whoever takes his place will have to fulfill that role."

Walker to play forward/ruck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Gadz meant a style of concussion you recover from and play again eg. Harris Andrews, as opposed to one where you don't play again eg. Justin Clarke.
I was just hoping he didn’t mean a brain bleed 6-8 week concussion?

Ahh good, really looking forward to how Marcus Adams goes.

Not bringing in the 2nd ruckman a good move IMO, an attempt to stop their renowned run.

Stef to play 90% ruck and McStay/Hipwood/Adams to provide a bit of relief.

Well the club must really rate Adams. I questioned the move at the time as we seemed flush with taller defenders and I didn't see Adams as head and shoulders above the likes of Walker, McStay etc... To bring him in after a single reserves game after basically not playing for a year (off top of my head) suggests we have a very specific role for him and he is rusted on best 22. Will be very interesting to see how he fit in. Will it end up being at the expense of McStay? Or as a third tall in the backline at the expense of Lester/ Walker/ Hodge?

Well the club must really rate Adams. I questioned the move at the time as we seemed flush with taller defenders and I didn't see Adams as head and shoulders above the likes of Walker, McStay etc... To bring him in after a single reserves game after basically not playing for a year (off top of my head) suggests we have a very specific role for him and he is rusted on best 22. Will be very interesting to see how he fit in. Will it end up being at the expense of McStay? Or as a third tall in the backline at the expense of Lester/ Walker/ Hodge?

I wouldn't be shocked if he played a bit up forward this week to cover Big O's forward time - if Lester struggles on one of the Giants talls he could move back to defence. Would be a good opportunity to give him a run and get him back to full fitness whereas he might be more exposed in the backline.

Its pretty clear that we have wanted to get him into the team ASAP, would think once Big O is back in and he's got some more match fitness he'll shuffle to defence and Lester will be the odd man out (through little fault of his own). Excited to see what he can add.

It is a nice looking team on paper!

View attachment 703669

Both teams look pretty good to be honest. This will be a test for us but I don’t think GWS will be going in thinking it will be a cruise.

I think the key is really to just scrap it out defensively with them so they never get the roll out of defence they like. Our forward pressure can ruin their tempo and then I think they have a tendency to rush their possessions and are prone to turnovers. Don’t give them the corridor. Make them play wide, win the contests and keep knocking them over.

Adams has played two reserves games now. He probably played more minutes in the first one than was planned as well, because of injuries limiting rotations after half time. I think he will go back on Sunday, but as you say it will be interesting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back