Review Round 16, 2019 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo going into one of his drunken rants about us being a premiership chance was the highlight of my year.

We're literally living in a BRAB fanfic people

He got a bit morbid when he said "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NEXT YEAR, IN ANY ASPECT OF LIFE".

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE.

Tonight's 360 was one of the great slurmons, kicked off by him dissing Huddo straight away by calling him Gerard to let him know who was boss.

Of course, according to James Brayshaw we've "had a very soft draw", and beat Melbourne in a "bruise-free game" last week according to the alleged glasser Wayne Carey.

So you know, none of our wins count ;)

Well the draw is done in 3 levels of 6 and we were in the bottom 6 last year. Chance we will be in the top level for next years draw and hence will be much tougher.

For all of those carrying on about how the media is bias against us I hope you watched all of last night's footy shows!

The main point of debate in nearly all of them was, can we win the flag?

On 360 Robbo had Lincoln as his hero of the week, said he was the best recruit of the year, rates us as currently the 3rd best team in the comp (behind Geelong and WC) and said "without a doubt" we can win the flag, said we have the best small forward brigade in the comp, and basically said "who wants to play these guys in the finals?"

Got On the couch taped, haven't watched yet but I did see Browny in the Fox Footy Instagram carrying on, "Get on the Lions for the flag!"

Hype train well and truly rolling on.

Last edited:
Of course, according to James Brayshaw we've "had a very soft draw", and beat Melbourne in a "bruise-free game" last week according to the alleged glasser Wayne Carey.

So you know, none of our wins count ;)
What with all the GFs we've played this year we'll have plenty of experience when we get to the big one.

After watching the replay, one thing that was really pleasing to see I didn't imagine was that GWS played well, we just played better. To play better than good teams like GWS shows where our ceiling can be.

Rich, Clugg, Neale, Linc and Andrews were my 5. Upon watching the replay, Neale was just BOG v Linc who was bloody impressive.

I have been worried that our brand of football can sometimes lead to the opposition always getting a crack at some stage to claw back a bit. The fourth quarter dispelled that. Our ability to lock it down and bleed the clock was the sign of a mature team. Even in the last 2 minutes of the match we were practicing those behaviours. Kicking it deep i50 is easy. Programming the learned behaviours we saw on Sunday evening is much harder.

For all of those carrying on about how the media is bias against us I hope you watched all of last night's footy shows!

The main point of debate in nearly all of them was, can we win the flag?

On 360 Robbo had Lincoln as his hero of the week, said he was the best recruit of the year, rates us as currently the 3rd best team in the comp (behind Geelong and WC) and said "without a doubt" we can win the flag, said we have the best small forward brigade in the comp, and basically said "who wants to play these guys in the finals?"

Got On the couch taped, haven't watched yet but I did see Browny in the Fox Footy Instagram carrying on, "Get on the Lions for the flag!"

Hype train well and truly rolling on.
Lids off in the media then? They are a bit slow. The lid was off on our board after round one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think McGovern gets chb , Sicily will get a half back flank will be out of Andrews , Moore , clurey for full back spot . Andrews been better then all of them this season though . Where is he at for interceptions in term of ranking ?

He got a bit morbid when he said "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NEXT YEAR, IN ANY ASPECT OF LIFE".
I live by it, you have to plan for the future but don't live for it.
my thoughts are we may look back at this year and think that was our best chance for the flag,( just as well we won it).
The last part was just a bit cheeky and hopeful.
We simply can't forsee the future in terms of injuries and form.

The algorithms for player ratings don't pass the eye test a significant proportion of the time imo.

Dawson Simpson being the second best player on the field for both teams, for example.

Cameron's 1st, Neale and Rayner's 2nd, McCarthy, Hodge, Answerth, Christensen's 3rd, Martin and McCluggage's 4th, Andrews consistency throughout the whole game, great to see a variety of contributors.

Well the draw is done in 3 levels of 6 and we were in the bottom 6 last year. Chance we will be in the top level for next years draw and hence will be much tougher.

Yes and no. Draws are really only hard or soft in hindsight and it rarely matches the pre season rating. I mean if you finished top 6 and your double ups were Hawks, Melb and Sydney this year, who were all top 6 last year you'd be absolutely laughing, having played 16th, 14th and 13th this season twice.

Alternatively if you'd finished bottom 6 and had us, freo and the dogs you would have had a harder double up schedule despite all being in the bottom 6 last year.

Yes and no. Draws are really only hard or soft in hindsight and it rarely matches the pre season rating. I mean if you finished top 6 and your double ups were Hawks, Melb and Sydney this year, who were all top 6 last year you'd be absolutely laughing, having played 16th, 14th and 13th this season twice.

Alternatively if you'd finished bottom 6 and had us, freo and the dogs you would have had a harder double up schedule despite all being in the bottom 6 last year.

For some of the seasons quite recently we have been given, even taking hindsight out of it, a couple of very tough draws despite us finishing 16-18 on the ladder. Fairness and equality isn’t high on the AFLs priority when it comes to fixturing I don’t think.

Dawson Simpson being the second best player on the field for both teams, for example.
Is it primarily due to the hitouts? Wonder if they factor in whether 'to advantage' or not. Seems strange that guys like Hodge and Lyons were ranked below the likes of Heath Shaw.

Is it primarily due to the hitouts? Wonder if they factor in whether 'to advantage' or not. Seems strange that guys like Hodge and Lyons were ranked below the likes of Heath Shaw.
Never ceases to amaze me why they even bother with hitout stats, the epitome of meaningless IMO, put that stat in the bin and just highlight hitouts to advantage.

Yes not the 2nd best player on the field. But Simpson did have a good game.During the game i was having a conversation (via Instagram) with my daughter who was watching the game live in London. I messaged her that Martin has to lift in the last quarter as i felt Simpson got the better of him in the 3rd. Martin and Simpson's stats were similar except Martin had 11 more hit outs. but i don't know the hit outs to advantage.

Coniglio on top of rankings for the game but only 1 vote by the Coaches.

I like how the dot .= indicates the players "2 year average".

I was a strange game for stats as GWS were in front on almost all indicators but were never really in the game and lost by 20.

Back