Review Round 16, 2019 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes not the 2nd best player on the field. But Simpson did have a good game.During the game i was having a conversation (via Instagram) with my daughter who was watching the game live in London. I messaged her that Martin has to lift in the last quarter as i felt Simpson got the better of him in the 3rd. Martin and Simpson's stats were similar except Martin had 11 more hit outs. but i don't know the hit outs to advantage.

Coniglio on top of rankings for the game but only 1 vote by the Coaches.

I like how the dot .= indicates the players "2 year average".

I was a strange game for stats as GWS were in front on almost all indicators but were never really in the game and lost by 20.

In the third quarter the commentators said that 7 of Simpson’s 10 hit outs for the quarter were to advantaged so I think he had quite a few for the game.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the third quarter the commentators said that 7 of Simpson’s 10 hit outs for the quarter were to advantaged so I think he had quite a few for the game.
Thanks for that information.

Simpson although inexperienced was a hard match up for Martin being 11 cm taller and 10 kg heaver. Interestingly neither took a mark for the entire game.

Never ceases to amaze me why they even bother with hitout stats, the epitome of meaningless IMO, put that stat in the bin and just highlight hitouts to advantage.
And getting a point for a behind when it is really just a failed shot at goal or for a disposal that is rated as ineffective. And it is weighted against defenders. Some goals are almost irrelevant to the outcome whereas some of Harry's spoils are virtually match-winning.

Thanks for that information.

Simpson although inexperienced was a hard match up for Martin being 11 cm taller and 10 kg heaver. Interestingly neither took a mark for the entire game.
So they each had a black mark for the game then.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have watched the replay a few times. My favourite goals were the ones that began with us applying forward pressure in the forward pocket. Winning the footy and then being forced back outside 50 before kicking the ball in deep again and winning the footy and kicking the goal eg. The Lyons and Neale goals.

I was a strange game for stats as GWS were in front on almost all indicators but were never really in the game and lost by 20.

I agree, this was weird. I noticed it at half time as well.

Yes not the 2nd best player on the field. But Simpson did have a good game.During the game i was having a conversation (via Instagram) with my daughter who was watching the game live in London. I messaged her that Martin has to lift in the last quarter as i felt Simpson got the better of him in the 3rd. Martin and Simpson's stats were similar except Martin had 11 more hit outs. but i don't know the hit outs to advantage.

I'd disagree on Simpson's game. He basically nullified the ruck contest but didn't win it despite his size advantage over Martin, and was useless around the ground compared to Martin. Lucky for GWS we didn't get as much of the ball as they did, so the discrepancy wasn't more pronounced.

Edit: just saw the HTA stats. I'm curious about their metrics there, as "advantage" seemed to be a very loose concept coming away from ruck contests on the weekend.

Last edited:

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Dawson Simpson being the second best player on the field for both teams, for example.
The sooner ranking points/champion data points stop being considered the barometer of performance the happier I will be. Get the coaches to rate 1-22 for each team and you'd see actual worth to a side and not stats that can often be meaningless.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Would have been interesting to see Big O V Simpson. Not much height advantage if any there

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree, this was weird. I noticed it at half time as well.

I'd disagree on Simpson's game. He basically nullified the ruck contest but didn't win it despite his size advantage over Martin, and was useless around the ground compared to Martin. Lucky for GWS we didn't get as much of the ball as they did, so the discrepancy wasn't more pronounced.

Edit: just saw the HTA stats. I'm curious about their metrics there, as "advantage" seemed to be a very loose concept coming away from ruck contests on the weekend.
Still don't know what total hit outs to advantage were for both teams. Apparently the metrics for HTA = Ruck taps/knocks ball to a team mate (ball can hit the ground), that team mate must clearly release the ball (by foot or hand ball) from the stoppage. So i suppose it's Ruck to team mate who clears the ball from stoppage. Rather than Ruck to teammate who is tackled and looses the ball or tackled and creates another stoppage. Some one from champion date may give a better description.

I agree that Martin was much better around the ground heat maps indicate this. I did mention the 3 rd quarter in particular for Dawson. I still think Dawson had a good game on a loosing team. Maybe on the player ratings Martin a bit higher, Dawson lower. But you and i can't change the ratings. We can just have a little bit of banter on how we saw the game.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How good has our response from the Carlton game been? A lot of teams, especially young ones will suffer a loss of concentration at the bye week, but we've just come out full blast. Hopefully we can keep it rolling

We'd have to be one of the top few second half teams in the league also... We've been storming home all year. Not necessarily starting fast tho. Perhaps a sign of Fagan's ability to make adjustments in games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, our man Chris Fagan is a stupendous game day coach.
I'm sure he is but he doesn't seem to be barking out any instructions much and the guys often take the phone when they get to the bench. I think this sort of collaborative responsibility amongst the coaches is a big positive for us , we seem to have it down pat compared to other clubs, because you can't expect one guy to keep track of everything that's occurring during the game. You also see things differently from up high to on the bench and vice versa. Plus we have Hodge Zorko Harris and Neale on the ground and they too seem to be organising structures from time to time.

I've got no doubt that the way we've spread responsibility across a number of people has greatly improved our capacity to not bleed goals when things go a little pear shaped in games . We know how to turn the tap off. Which is why we've been competitive in every game during the last quarter bar 1.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You would think McGovern gets chb , Sicily will get a half back flank will be out of Andrews , Moore , clurey for full back spot . Andrews been better then all of them this season though . Where is he at for interceptions in term of ranking ?
Moore will get more hits or sell more papers than Harris .......if they still sell papers?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He and Barrett have been Brisbane knockers for years . Now the weather utensils are changing their tune.

They feed off telling everyone how fantastic in all facets winners are and how terrible losers are in all facets.

Don't really want them on our bandwagon

I've been involved with a couple of coaches of unsuccessful teams and it's a desolate place,and often not much you can do to improve the situation. But you cop every little thing that goes wrong or doesn't work.

Jul 22, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For those asking... Here's AFL360 with Huddo and Robbo talking about the Lions in the first 13 minutes or so...

It's been so long since we've been spoken about with genuine interest it almost doesn't seem feasible some of the stuff they talk about... and in reality it's probably not. But the fact this is even being spoken about gives me goosebumps!!!

Last edited:

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For all of those carrying on about how the media is bias against us I hope you watched all of last night's footy shows!

The main point of debate in nearly all of them was, can we win the flag?

On 360 Robbo had Lincoln as his hero of the week, said he was the best recruit of the year, rates us as currently the 3rd best team in the comp (behind Geelong and WC) and said "without a doubt" we can win the flag, said we have the best small forward brigade in the comp, and basically said "who wants to play these guys in the finals?"

Got On the couch taped, haven't watched yet but I did see Browny in the Fox Footy Instagram carrying on, "Get on the Lions for the flag!"

Hype train well and truly rolling on.

No one is 'carrying on'. We have hardly had any media given our rise, it was the first time we were the lead story on 360 all year on a Monday - which is absurd given where we are coming from. Everyone expected them to sit up and give us some love if we beat a top 4 side and they did. Those of us who have taken expiation have all commented how good it was over the last few pages. The couch continued their awesome coverage of us. Apparently we go 30 seconds on Classifieds but didn't watch.

Seeing all those cameras at Brissy Airport was epic.

If we keen winning from here, the coverage is going to explode!!

For those asking... Here's AFL360 with Huddo and Robbo talking about the Lions in the first 13 minutes or so...

It's been so long since we've been spoken about with genuine interest it almost doesn't seem feasible some of the stuff they talk about... and in reality it's probably not. But the fact this stuff is even being spoken about gives me goosebumps!!!

So this is a question for the ten year olds- how come whenever I tap on one of these video clips is says video unavailable. Am I using the wrong finger? Does it have a you’re not cool (or whatever the current phrase is) filter?

Back