Autopsy Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Just some perspective on where we are sitting right now compared to the rest of the competition. Here is a table with the average age and games of all the teams that played this weekend, and the breakdown of the games played from the players in the side. The sides in yellow are the sides currently in the top eight.

View attachment 705257

Some observations from these numbers:
- we were the least experienced side this week and the second youngest (2 months older than GC)
- we have the least amount go players who have played 150 games or more (that will go up next week with Newnes hitting that mark and Hannebery back in)
- equal most players under 50 games with Sydney and GC
- all sides in the top 8 have an average age of over 25yr 2m.
- all sides in the top 8 have an average games of 95.9 or over
- all sides in the top 8, except GWS, have at least 5 players with over 150 games. GWS only have 3 but have more players in the 100+ game range.
- Brisbane is A LOT older and more experienced than advertised. Their rise shouldn't be a surprise when you look at their current demographic.
- Sydney are much younger than expected, also fielding a lot of younger players which explains their up and down form this year.
- Hawthorn is the only team with over 100 games average experience not in the top 8 which is worrying for them

We are in full development mode right now. We don't have the players or experience to compete with the top teams right now. Our demographics compare with Gold Coast right now, which shows how far from being completive we are right now. This doesn't excuse our poor effort too frequently in games but it does help explain why we look rushed with the ball and easily pushed around - we don't have the experience to handle the pressure well for four quarter and are physically smaller than our opposition.

The good news is our new coach will get a group which has already dropped and is ready to rise up since a lot of the leg work has already occurred.

Which backs up what I have been saying.

He could become our Betts IMO.

Problem we have is we don't have much currency to trade for decent mids.

Ideally you get them and leave him forward.
I much prefer him up forward. Was a shining light there last year. Has moments in the midfield. But loses his biggest strength, which is his evasiveness. Doesn’t seem to carry that into the mid.

Was just discussing exactly this in the Sandy thread.

Jye Simpkin is the same age as Gresh and a gun player to build around.

This year under Brad Scott, Simpkin had 6 games of less than 20 disposals and was dropped in rd 6.

Last week: 30 disposals, 11 clearances, 7 I50s
This week: 36 disposals (21 contested), 9 clearances, 6 I50s

Stop coaching naturally talented kids to play the same the way you teach a rookie back pocket to be accountable ...
So if we bring Scott in as coach, the reverse should happen with Gresh! Genuis!

He could become our Betts IMO.

Problem we have is we don't have much currency to trade for decent mids.

Ideally you get them and leave him forward.

That's why you draft them. Hardly any elite players change clubs, none are going to rushing to come to us either. We need to actually draft our own Cripps. Selling good players to get good players leaves you exactly in the same position you started in. Good lists are about stockpiled talent.

pick 4 should be untouchable unless it's for Taranto type young superstars.

That's why you draft them. Hardly any elite players change clubs, none are going to rushing to come to us either. We need to actually draft our own Cripps. Selling good players to get good players leaves you exactly in the same position you started in. Good lists are about stockpiled talent.

Pick 4 for Draper. Lock it in. ;)

The last 3 qtrs we actually won by a point.
And played decent footy a lot of the time .
BUT in an important game which was the last chance to keep our tiny slither of a finals chance alive we started the game limp and flat and got smashed out of the park by the end of the first Qtr.
Surely we had to make sure we were up and about at the start of the game . Sadly we weren't.
Tried hard after that first Qtr but the damage was already done and it ended up another disappointing loss.

Wrapt with Hunter Clarke's progress.
But after that crap start the result was predictable and boring .

From all reports, it sounds like Ross spent very little time in the midfield today and spent most of the game at half back trying to be the guy who sets up the structures and calms the backline down. And that he also spent time doing this last week. A very similar role to what the coaches tried Dave in for a few weeks but that failed spectacularly. That explains why he had no impact on the game and look lost since he was asked to do something completely unnatural for him.

But this is what I don't understand - why instead of trying pure midfielders in that role, why don't we try moving Jack Newnes back in that role, into the position be arguably played his best football in during the 2015/2016 era. Wouldn't that just make sense - he is vocal, loves telling people what to do, pretty decent vision, long and direct kick, can defend one-on-one and an absolute campaigner who doesn't mind fighting a small forward. Instead we have had to floundering on the wing, struggling for form for months when there is a position thats perfect for him that we are trying to make a natural midfielder do.

Then Ross goes back to what he does best in accumulating in the midfield, we can give Sinclair more wing time because Newnes isnt spending all his time there and we have someone who is experienced playing half back, actually playing half back.

Sorry that I’m lurking. I read other boards because I hear opposition fans talk about players I don’t know much about, which helps my engagement in neutral games etc.

That aside Human, could you please tell me what exactly that thing in your avatar is? I’ve been wondering for months now

hahhahaha, It's a spider.

I appreciate your Avatar as well.

Last edited:
Too many passengers aboard the today.
Make a statement at selection table.

The start really killed us.
We won the next three quarters but it was just chasing tail.
Still I didn’t feel they put the cue in the rack....just wish they started better.
Is that on the coaching staff or the players?

With the exception of last week, and maybe the Bombers game we just have been very sluggish right at the beginning.

Doesn’t sound like too many putting their hands up from Sandy, but hopefully Hanners (recovered), Lonie and White come back in.

Then Ross goes back to what he does best in accumulating in the midfield, we can give Sinclair more wing time because Newnes isnt spending all his time there and we have someone who is experienced playing half back, actually playing half back.

Can you email the Coach?

totally agree , if we get pick 3 or 4 we take it to the draft and hit up every free agent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The start really killed us.
We won the next three quarters but it was just chasing tail.
Still I didn’t feel they put the cue in the rack....just wish they started better.
Is that on the coaching staff or the players?

With the exception of last week, and maybe the Bombers game we just have been very sluggish right at the beginning.

Doesn’t sound like too many putting their hands up from Sandy, but hopefully Hanners (recovered), Lonie and White come back in.
yeah the only 3 worth bringing in - Brown as well for Hawkins

The thing that has
Am I the only one that likes Long?

Is a really good lead up and mark guy for his size. Would like it if he had the confidence to just go back and have a shot when he gets it within 50 - always seems to look for a pass - probably a result of getting dropped.

Has aggression, has speed, has class. If we had to pick one small forward to be picked each game, he would be my choice. He has something.

I think he would be the perfect replacement for McKenzie to play on the quicker small forwards, but not everyone can play down back. Richo has swung him into defence for short periods at times and he looks ok.,

I haven't seen the game yet, so can't comment until then. Pretty dispiriting though. :(

Trust me, your spirits wont be enhanced by watching the replay.

Unless you are a masochist I would at least skip the first quarter. Just watch from when Ross gets taken out of the midfield. After that we win ...

Was just discussing exactly this in the Sandy thread.

Jye Simpkin is the same age as Gresh and is also a gun young talent to build a midfield around.

This year under Brad Scott, Simpkin had 6 games of less than 20 disposals and was dropped at least once.

Last week: 30 disposals, 11 clearances, 7 I50s
This week: 36 disposals (21 contested), 9 clearances, 6 I50s

Stop coaching elite talent kids to play the same the way you teach a rookie back pocket with limited ability to be accountable!!

PS: Gresh is top 20 in the league for center clearances despite still only being a part time mid. Just behind Cognilio and above Danger. But sure, lets trade him ...

I wish I could like this more than once, especially the middle paragraph. Why don't our coaches understand this? So frustrating.

From all reports, it sounds like Ross spent very little time in the midfield today and spent most of the game at half back trying to be the guy who sets up the structures and calms the backline down. And that he also spent time doing this last week. A very similar role to what the coaches tried Dave in for a few weeks but that failed spectacularly. That explains why he had no impact on the game and look lost since he was asked to do something completely unnatural for him.

But this is what I don't understand - why instead of trying pure midfielders in that role, why don't we try moving Jack Newnes back in that role, into the position be arguably played his best football in during the 2015/2016 era. Wouldn't that just make sense - he is vocal, loves telling people what to do, pretty decent vision, long and direct kick, can defend one-on-one and an absolute campaigner who doesn't mind fighting a small forward. Instead we have had to floundering on the wing, struggling for form for months when there is a position thats perfect for him that we are trying to make a natural midfielder do.

Far too much sense in this post.:'(:think:

35 disposals
24 kicks
13 contested possessions
5 marks
4 clearances
6 tackles
9 inside 50's
8 rebound 50's
792m gained

Imagine criticising Billings' game today. Apparently that's still not good enough for some people on here. One of his best games for the club. Well done Jack.
elite if I every saw it - our best player in my opinion

Be interesting next week who they bring in for Battle , will they check out Marsh or Joyce again or stick with the tried and true Brown.
This will give a big insight if they are looking towards next year or not.
Brown of course would be better , but giving the others a run would only help development.
If Hannebery and Steven can play , play them - even half fit would be better than what the midfield did today.

Ross couldn't get near the ball in midfield hence being moved back to see if he can actually get in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back