Preview Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Blundstone Arena, Sunday 7th July, 3:20PM AEST *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Having met him he comes across as confident but prickly. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being punished for not being enough of a lad.

It's a shame if that's the case. You would think that they would park the "lads" mentality whilst the team is as dysfunctional as it is. A few more prickly types in the team could be the difference between us being bottom 4, or top 7 to 10.

“It was always part of the plan that Dan would need a break at some point after an initial block of games, and with a bit of soreness lingering after the Richmond match, it made sense to do it this week,” Head of Performance Matt Hornsby said.
“He was able to get through our main training Thursday, but we feel that missing this weekend is the best approach as we continue to build his workload.
“He has come a long way over the past few months but it’s important we are patient and realistic in our expectations with a player who is returning mid-season.”
Hands up who believes the club.
Seriously, they must think we're complete idiots with how often they lie. Just tell us the truth.

So two games qualifies as a “block”?
Early days ( in terms of four years) but I think this is going to be yet another dumb decision from the club. Really hope I’m forced to eat my words.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Yeah - stupid decision by the selectors.

Pretty much the least experienced team in the league loses one of its few senior players (210 games experience) - clearly the right move was to replace him with a debutant.

Stupid stupid selectors - sorry that's right - stupid stupid Richo - there's only one selector apparently.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who knows? Maybe this is the kick up the ass Newnes needed. He hasn't missed a single game since Richo's first game as coach. Now he knows his spot isn't a sure thing maybe he'll lay some tackles and show us the side of him we desperately need.
It's not like he isn't capable of playing well - he's looked great at times.

Pretty much the least experienced team in the league loses one of its few senior players (210 games experience) - clearly the right move was to replace him with a debutant.

Stupid stupid selectors - sorry that's right - stupid stupid Richo - there's only one selector apparently.

Honestly?
With the way Newnes has played recently he’s offered nothing in terms of leadership or sparking the team in any way.

White would have offered more. Yes I know he wasn’t in the extended squad, which begs the question, why?

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
People making comment about King being a risk to get in the draft
the kid was a clear number 1 pick and we where lucky to pick him as our draft pick due to his injury and to tell you the truth we know it's going to be a few years to get the strength in his body like any kid - plus him being a mad Saints supporter no way could we let him go - we will look back and say he was one of our best draft picks we ever had.

The other one is Bytel , the kid was expected to be a top 10 draft pick according to Power and being able to get him at pick 41 was a smart pick knowing once again these kids take a few years to get there bodies right.
and knowing the kid is a classy player when right.

People just have to be patient - these draft picks are not going to slot straight into our best 22 until they have the body same goes with Clavarino , Hunter Clark and Coffield.

Ok you do get the Rozee , Smith , Stack types but they a few and far between.

and everyone doesn't bring up Marshall who looks like a up and coming superstar as a rookie.
Battle pick 39 , Paton 46 , Wilkie rookie , Parker 47 all look to be great picks for really not a great cost.
Agree wholeheartedly. And Hind has been terrific as well. On Coffield. He was very young in his draft year, so is going to take a bit longer. The good thing is he had more development in him than someone at the older end of the scale. Again, should make him a smart pick. Patience required.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham

Mate experienced or not, Newnes hasn't helped one bit this season with leadership or even worse his performances. I'd rather give it to a youngster that will bust a gut rather than what Newnes has been producing.

Stupid indeed.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
So two games qualifies as a “block”?
Early days ( in terms of four years) but I think this is going to be yet another dumb decision from the club. Really hope I’m forced to eat my words.
Four games actually. He'd played 4 in a row. Two at Sandy, two in the senior side.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we lose this game by playing to the same old methods, then the year is done. I know guys are waiting for the final nail to be driven into Richo's coffin regarding the Geelong game, but for me this is it. Lose this, and any miniscule flicker of hope remaining in the year is extinguished for fans, members, and anyone else who gives a crap. It's all coming to a head.
Hope the kids do well again, and Carlisle finds a bit of touch.

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Newnes is the logical replacement for Hannebery, especially once you consider Newnes was kicked off the wing in his last game so Hannebery could play there.

Hopefully this is the wake-up call he needed so get him back to his form at the start of the season, which was integral to us winning those early games.
Would rather we play someone like Sinclair on the wing for a full game, don't really see what Newnes offers to the team that others don't

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Honestly?
With the way Newnes has played recently he’s offered nothing in terms of leadership or sparking the team in any way.

White would have offered more. Yes I know he wasn’t in the extended squad, which begs the question, why?
Well given that there is a whole new set of assistant coaches at St Kilda and White still doesn't get a look in, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the problem may lie with the player.

No of course that can't be true - it can only be Svengali's fault.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would rather we play someone like Sinclair on the wing for a full game, don't really see what Newnes offers to the team that others don't
It's a pity Lonie needs a run at Sandy first, because that would definitely be my first choice.
But the only forward at Sandy who could come in for that small forward role is Young, so they made the correct choice not doing that.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah mate because these selectors and Richo are going splendidly and have proven they know what they are doing...
Also, all our young stars are developing fantastically and everything Richo shits smells like daffodils.

He was dropped to find form. He didn't find form.
To select him simply because he's the most experienced is a joke and sends a very poor message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back