Preview Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Blundstone Arena, Sunday 7th July, 3:20PM AEST *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah mate because these selectors and Richo are going splendidly and have proven they know what they are doing...
Also, all our young stars are developing fantastically and everything Richo s**ts smells like daffodils.

He was dropped to find form. He didn't find form.
To select him simply because he's the most experienced is a joke and sends a very poor message.
Quality melt.

bennymc7

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
He went off at the start of training with the physio's but came back out and did all of the match sim and was one of the best. But it was noticeable he looked sore every time he went to stand up.

We won't know until next week, but their story matches what was seen so it's hard to disprove it at this stage.

Yeh saw him head up the race then came back out and did well.. had strapping on at the cafe later on but no limp or anything.

I'd imagine super precautionary

Surprised it wasn’t ‘awareness’
Nothing too severe I’m hearing

2wfn1au.jpg

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Yeah mate because these selectors and Richo are going splendidly and have proven they know what they are doing...
Also, all our young stars are developing fantastically and everything Richo s**ts smells like daffodils.

He was dropped to find form. He didn't find form.
To select him simply because he's the most experienced is a joke and sends a very poor message.
Well it seems a no brainer to me to replace an experienced wingman with an experienced wingman. If you reckon the best option is to replace him with an unsuccessful hbf - so be it.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
We could bring Langlands in sure and he'll probably get about 3 touches. Not that happy about Newnes but our depth is terrible and injuries being so bad it's getting tested. Bringing in a bloke that isn't ready helps no one.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well it seems a no brainer to me to replace an experienced wingman with an experienced wingman. If you reckon the best option is to replace him with an unsuccessful hbf - so be it.

Or you could also replace him with one of the experienced wingers that are currently in the team stuck in the forward line/hbf/ruck and bring in Langlands/white to fill in for that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

You don’t think the fellas could’ve shifted the magnets around? Coff or Clark moved up the ground or Sinclair or Acres?

For me it’s not about Dolts missing out but Newnes coming straight back into the side. Just sets a poor precedent for mine. On the back of his putrid past 18 months he didn’t do nearly enough last week to be reinstated immediately.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
You don’t think the fellas could’ve shifted the magnets around? Coff or Clark moved up the ground or Sinclair or Acres?

For me it’s not about Dolts missing out but Newnes coming straight back into the side. Just sets a poor precedent for mine. On the back of his putrid past 18 months he didn’t do nearly enough last week to be reinstated immediately.
Newnes has 21 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 9 inside 50s and was rated as second best for Sandy (behind Joyce).

Part of the issue is we don't have anyone down at Sandy to chose from, so he really was the best option to come in.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah - stupid decision by the selectors.

Pretty much the least experienced team in the league loses one of its few senior players (210 games experience) - clearly the right move was to replace him with a debutant.

Stupid stupid selectors - sorry that's right - stupid stupid Richo - there's only one selector apparently.

Given he's been playing badly and everyone knows we're not in the hunt for finals - yeah, I think a debutant would have been more pleasing. Not sure about the "experience for experience's sake" thing the selectors have going on.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Newnes has 21 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 9 inside 50s and was rated as second best for Sandy (behind Joyce).

Part of the issue is we don't have anyone down at Sandy to chose from, so he really was the best option to come in.

Still doesn’t look good for mine. Stinks of this year’s Weller. Been poor for far too long & needed to spend more time at Sandy. Billings went back & got it 50 times, Clark gets 30 regularly, ect. Picking Newnes is the easy & lazy option.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Still doesn’t look good for mine. Stinks of this year’s Weller. Been poor for far too long & needed to spend more time at Sandy. Billings went back & got it 50 times, Clark gets 30 regularly, ect.
I mean, they were playing in hurricane like conditions so a high number of possessions was unlikely to occur.

I agree he has been down on form too much this year, but again, there is nobody else at Sandy to chose from. And if your going off rewarding those who perform at Sandy, he performed the best out of the midfielders/forwards/half backs we had available.

Given he's been playing badly and everyone knows we're not in the hunt for finals - yeah, I think a debutant would have been more pleasing. Not sure about the "experience for experience's sake" thing the selectors have going on.

Which debutante?

I'm sorry but we don't seem to have an 18YO Nathan FYfe playing for the Zebs.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Couldn't be worse. There were options within the team itself to play on the wing. Acres, Sinclair, Hind even. Newnes has been a liability over the course of the year. I doubt ANY player, debutant or otherwise, would rack up a four possession game with no tackles and expect to play seniors again any time soon. The fact that an experienced player with so called leadership ability is serving that crap up and is recalled immediately after an average showing in the second tier, shows where the club's thinking is at...and mate, it's not good...it's lazy and dumb.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Which debutante?

I'm sorry but we don't seem to have an 18YO Nathan FYfe playing for the Zebs.

I would have brought Langers in for a run, see what he can do. No idea if he's any good but I thought he showed decent signs in the last Sandy game I saw a bit of. He's been emergency a few weeks in a row so he's obviously in their thoughts. Newnes isn't exactly Nick Dal Santo to be rushed straight back in after his week in the twos either.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Couldn't be worse. There were options within the team itself to play on the wing. Acres, Sinclair, Hind even. Newnes has been a liability over the course of the year. I doubt ANY player, debutant or otherwise, would rack up a four possession game with no tackles and expect to play seniors again any time soon. The fact that an experienced player with so called leadership ability is serving that crap up and is recalled immediately after an average showing in the second tier, shows where the club's thinking is at...and mate, it's not good...it's lazy and dumb.
I'll overlook the fact that it was actually 8 possessions and 4 tackles.

Sammy's comments on Newnes

Jack Newnes
21 disposals, 19 kicks, two tackles

“I liked the way Jack played, he came back as an inside mid and along the wing and he was really good for us. Jack hadn’t been dropped for his career, but what impressed me the most was that he had a ripping attitude. His leadership was superb, his inside work was strong and his outside work and run and transition was first-class, so I thought it was a really solid game from Jack.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back