Preview Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Blundstone Arena, Sunday 7th July, 3:20PM AEST *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll overlook the fact that it was actually 8 possessions and 4 tackles.

Sammy's comments on Newnes

Jack Newnes
21 disposals, 19 kicks, two tackles

“I liked the way Jack played, he came back as an inside mid and along the wing and he was really good for us. Jack hadn’t been dropped for his career, but what impressed me the most was that he had a ripping attitude. His leadership was superb, his inside work was strong and his outside work and run and transition was first-class, so I thought it was a really solid game from Jack.”

Sammy never says a bad word about anyone in that report though

Feb 19, 2009
Moorabbin
AFL Club
St Kilda

Jack Newnes

“I liked the way Jack played, he came back as an inside mid and along the wing and he was really good for us. Jack hadn’t been dropped for his career, but what impressed me the most was that he had a ripping attitude. His leadership was superb, his inside work was strong and his outside work and run and transition was first-class, so I thought it was a really solid game from Jack.”

Gears loves Jill too. It’s a boys club down there. If you’re in the club you get precedence. Fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooperg

All Australian
Oct 3, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well whydid he get dropped last week then? Stop with the dribble.

NEWNES was the best in the twos with Brown. Logcial replacement for Hanners. Quit whinging all of you.

Gears loves Jill too. It’s a boys club down there. If you’re in the club you get precedence. Fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Still doesn’t look good for mine. Stinks of this year’s Weller. Been poor for far too long & needed to spend more time at Sandy. Billings went back & got it 50 times, Clark gets 30 regularly, ect. Picking Newnes is the easy & lazy option.
I know the Weller comment was tongue in cheek. But as an FYI Weller was reportedly BOG by a fair way in that game! There is a reason Richmond picked him up.

Also (not you Trig) but can we please stop using the 'official' bests for Sandy as any sort of guide for selection. Has been established for a long time that those 'bests' have about as much credibility and consistency as an U12s Hungry Jacks award. As an FYI, apparently Nathan Brown best player for us last week. But as Ben Long played 1s, they had to give the encouragement award to someone else. Joyce only gave away 3 frees so I guess he was the logical choice.

And for anyone who was around the area last week, the weather was absolutely putrid and the wind at TBBO must have been nearly gale force. So not sure we can read too much into anything from last week other than Richmond have much better depth than us (even with an injury list that is just as long).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Jack Newnes

Was it 8 possessions and 4 tackles? If so...fair play, I stand corrected. However Sammy's review aside. Newnes has been coasting for far too long and needs a reality check for at least a month. I think the greater majority of spectators, and posters on this site would largely agree that he has been poor, and even disinterested, over a long period of time. I reckon we have him covered with other members in the team. I'm also all for playing the younger guys at the moment, just to see what they can bring to the table. We know what Newnes brings...I can't see it being anything different against the Roo's. Guess we just differ on this one 🤔

Well given that there is a whole new set of assistant coaches at St Kilda and White still doesn't get a look in, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the problem may lie with the player.

No of course that can't be true - it can only be Svengali's fault.

He came into the side. Played a pretty good game and even after he got injured he did a pretty good job in the forward line.

Wouldn’t you think he could get back in after he recovered? And yes, based on the countless times Richo has played others like Newnes, Long, Armo etc without their deserving it, I do blame Richo. Pretty sure he would get the final say.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Was it 8 possessions and 4 tackles? If so...fair play, I stand corrected. However Sammy's review aside. Newnes has been coasting for far too long and needs a reality check for at least a month. I think the greater majority of spectators, and posters on this site would largely agree that he has been poor, and even disinterested, over a long period of time. I reckon we have him covered with other members in the team. I'm also all for playing the younger guys at the moment, just to see what they can bring to the table. We know what Newnes brings...I can't see it being anything different against the Roo's. Guess we just differ on this one 🤔

Fair call - I'd love to have seen Dingley get a game but as soon as it was Hanners that wasn't available, to me Newnes became an almost automatic in. If someone like Hind was injured then I'd have wanted Newnes to stay at Sandy and bring in Langland's

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Newnes has now been shown he is not a automatic selection now , so it's up to him to show his worth , his career at the club is in the balance being a Free agent so let's see being dropped has done anything to spark him up.

Anyway we need to win and all I want are the guys to show we have the players to be competitive , it will also help when trying to entice some good players to come to us in the trade period.

As was mentioned somewhere Coniglio had meeting with a few clubs during the bye and if that is the case he could be tempted if he knows the team is not going to be a celler dweller in the coming years.

Having people at the club now like Ratten , Lade , Slatter , Bereton , Hannerbery , Gubby Allan , Leathlean that people know will only help bring in the players we want.
Already having Bruce , Steele from GWS should only help in luring Tomlinson and Coniglio.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
We could bring Langlands in sure and he'll probably get about 3 touches. Not that happy about Newnes but our depth is terrible and injuries being so bad it's getting tested. Bringing in a bloke that isn't ready helps no one.
I know Richmond have had injuries but they’ve brought in Stack, Naish, Coleman-Jones, Jack Ross, Mabior Chol, Baker and now Eggmolesse-Smith, Instead of playing blokes like Weller and Townsend who were left in the VFL.

If we’re serious about developing players and seeing if they have enough talent, we need to be playing them and giving them a run of a few games at least.

To give Newnes a “lesson” by dropping him for 1 week and bringing him straight back is a joke. We know what Newnes brings, and for the last 2 years that’s been, sweet * all. This week would’ve been the perfect opportunity to give Whitey or Langlands a go.

If we lose, well so what? Were s**t and would lose with newnes anyway

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know Richmond have had injuries but they’ve brought in Stack, Naish, Coleman-Jones, Jack Ross, Mabior Chol, Baker and now Eggmolesse-Smith, Instead of playing blokes like Weller and Townsend who were left in the VFL.

If we’re serious about developing players and seeing if they have enough talent, we need to be playing them and giving them a run of a few games at least.

To give Newnes a “lesson” by dropping him for 1 week and bringing him straight back is a joke. We know what Newnes brings, and for the last 2 years that’s been, sweet **** all. This week would’ve been the perfect opportunity to give Whitey or Langlands a go.

If we lose, well so what? Were s**t and would lose with newnes anyway
They aren't playing all of them at once. We had 9 players under 25 games last week, 8 this week because Marshall has just ticked over. It's not like we are playing an old team without any young players at all. We are fielding one of the most inexperienced teams every week.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
People making comment about King being a risk to get in the draft
the kid was a clear number 1 pick and we where lucky to pick him as our draft pick due to his injury and to tell you the truth we know it's going to be a few years to get the strength in his body like any kid - plus him being a mad Saints supporter no way could we let him go - we will look back and say he was one of our best draft picks we ever had.

The other one is Bytel , the kid was expected to be a top 10 draft pick according to Power and being able to get him at pick 41 was a smart pick knowing once again these kids take a few years to get there bodies right.
and knowing the kid is a classy player when right.

People just have to be patient - these draft picks are not going to slot straight into our best 22 until they have the body same goes with Clavarino , Hunter Clark and Coffield.

Ok you do get the Rozee , Smith , Stack types but they a few and far between.

and everyone doesn't bring up Marshall who looks like a up and coming superstar as a rookie.
Battle pick 39 , Paton 46 , Wilkie rookie , Parker 47 all look to be great picks for really not a great cost.

King and Bytel are both super talents. Thing is, so were Paddy, Hughy and Freezer.

Until they get back on the park and prove they can be players there is a question mark over their heads.

Not that I don’t admire your optimism and like the way you are looking it.

I’ve just lost that.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
King and Bytel are both super talents. Thing is, so were Paddy, Hughy and Freezer.

Until they get back on the park and prove they can be players there is a question mark over their heads.

Not that I don’t admire your optimism and like the way you are looking it.

I’ve just lost that.
D2 we are tracking the right way with all the young guys we have , the thing is now our experience leadership is very thin , our back line can stand up and our forward line with a fit and stronger King in it will be far better , it's just our mids - we are desperate for 2 good midfielders and if we get Coniglio and Langdon it will be a game changer.

Having people at the club now like Ratten , Lade , Slatter , Bereton , Hannerbery , Gubby Allan , Leathlean that people know will only help bring in the players we want.
Already having Bruce , Steele from GWS should only help in luring Tomlinson and Coniglio.

Premium, I cannot even begin to tell you how much I am hoping that you can say “I told you so” to the battle-scarred doubters on here, myself included, at the end of the season!

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Hannebery is being ‘managed for soreness’ after the Richmond game, he is going to have go in for surgery after the trip to Geelong to stitch up the new a-hole the Cats are going to tear us.

Bringing Newnes in makes a lot of sense, it’s good to raise his value up as much as possible before he leaves us for free at the end of the year.

Last edited:

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think some of the Newnes selection bashing on here has been unwarranted and an overreaction. Yeah he didn’t have a massive game in the VFL but Jill doesn’t strike me as a bloke that would need to get big numbers to turn his game around.

I’m expecting his intensity around the ground to raise ridiculously this week and for him to get back to form. If he doesn’t then I think the selection criticism is fair and he will deserve to be dropped once again.

Doults whilst being impressive has not been as good as some on here have made out, I don’t think another week or two of VFL footy can do him any harm.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think some of the Newnes selection bashing on here has been unwarranted and an overreaction. Yeah he didn’t have a massive game in the VFL but Jill doesn’t strike me as a bloke that would need to get big numbers to turn his game around.

I’m expecting his intensity around the ground to raise ridiculously this week and for him to get back to form. If he doesn’t then I think the selection criticism is fair and he will deserve to be dropped once again.

Doults whilst being impressive has not been as good as some on here have made out, I don’t think another week or two of VFL footy can do him any harm.
It sends a pretty sh1t message to other players that he’s been poor in the AFL for the best part of 2 years now, consistently not having 1 tackle in a game despite our motto apparently being ‘pressure’ and ‘strong at the contest’, he then gets dropped for ONE game where he plays poorly and is selected straight away. But yeh nah the criticism is unfair...

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Some solid melts by the looks of things. Glad to see we have a budding superstar in Langlands. Didn’t know not getting picked after a blistering 19 possies equated to being robbed.
I think it’s more on a body of work rather than just one 19 possession game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back