Review Round 16, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great performance all around. Shout out to the second gamers, Coleman has to be best 22 going forward, and Payne did well with intercepting despite a few errors that he'll iron out with experience.

Still a lot of improvement to go. I'm glad we took more shots from good positions, and unsurprisingly we kicked better as a result. We still gifted Gold Coast a few goals from silly frees, hopefully it won't bite us in future games.

Neale, Rayner, Zorko, Hipwood and Coleman for the votes.

Lots of positives tonight - we were hard at the footy. I think, Harris being out, could have galvanised our boys to lift and work harder than they have been. Some injury concerns going forward, but we just keep finding a way to get the points - which suggests real spirit in the playing group. Payne was good, Coleman just keeps on showing he's a player and, across the board, we look hungry and hard.

LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

solid solid game

Hippy played out of his skin for nearly the whole game (a few tweaks to his kicking)
Neale came back to his form FINALLY
THE PAYNE TRAIN HAS ARRIVED. Yeah baby, some really solid work by him (helped by the upground pressure and dodgy disposal at times) Made a few mistakes, but really solid and happy to see it.
McCluggage too played a super game.
Berry was playing great as well until his injury.
McCarthy such a calming kick in the f50, to see him lead for that mark&goal was supreme when he was on one leg.
Robbo too had the fire back
Zorko was back to his near best too other than a few shanks
Coleman again! Supreme disposal at times
Charles looked so much better this week, some horrid set shots and that shanked around the corner.. but lead well and made his mark

gotta get my heart to stop pumping :)

edit: how could I forget Rayner! Seems he finally installed a mirror in his house and realised hes built like a truck. Some awesome kicking, but his body work was supreme (and lets stay out of the chastising for that missed kick, I'll let Fages get into him for that :D)

Good team performance and more adversity faced heading into the finals, which is setting us up to take on anything that comes our way in the finals.

I'm really hoping it's only a precautionary for Berry, despite it popping out, could still be minor and they just didn't want to risk sending him back out there. Hopefully no structure damage for Starc either. Linc seems fine.

Payne was great, especially in the first quarter. Good to see Zorks back in form and Lachie back to his Brownlow form.

Can't get complacent though in our final two games, keep the hunger.

Good to see Rayner getting rewarded as hes continuing to do a lot of little things right. The first goal, change of direction and angle to set that up. A couple of good blocks into set others up for center clearance. Knew he was going to get blocked when going back, made the contact to draw the free, clever knock on to set up a goal etc. Really solid game

Hipwood is teasing us, really showing signs of exploding with the obvious thing holding him back, great signs, hopefully keeps this up.

Charlie looking good in the higher half forward role. Looks good delivering the ball to the other forwards.

Coleman was good in patches again, can see why we matched the bid earlier than most expected.

Payne’s first 10 minutes were great, hopefully he can be the positive from Harris’s injury.

Rich, Zorko, McCluggage and Neale all had good games even by their usually high standards, lot of other solid contributions too.

Injuries feel like they’re mounting up, hopefully Berry and Linc are fine for next week. Starc youd think should be right.

Happy to have a good win after a few tight ones.

DO NOT PLAY ARCHIE SMITH EVER AGAIN
He’s had one more goal assist tonight than you and me combined. It was the right game for me to give him a run. If the big O also goes down, we will have no choice. So playing him tonite is not a bad idea in my books.

Why? Honestly tonight I thought he justified his role?

Got a goal assist a few good touches around in the ruck and didn’t get smashed in the ruck either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? He offered virtually nothing all night. Barely sighted when up forward, beaten in the ruck, offered nothing around the ground. And bonus points he took out Linc being clumsy ;)

Why? Honestly tonight I thought he justified his role?

Got a goal assist a few good touches around in the ruck and didn’t get smashed in the ruck either?
One goal assist doesn't make up for a game's worth of clumsy play and hospital passes. If you're playing someone who's that bad in general play, they had better be a truly dominant tap ruck. But he isn't, he gets beaten at least half the time for hit outs.

Well, that was a good game all up. Good movement, good kicking. Getting into some form as well after a few weeks of winning ugly, good to see. Hopefully Berry's shoulder isn't too bad and that concussion ain't too bad for Bran.

Fun seeing both Zorks and Neale getting off the chain. Cameron and Hippy worked hard. Rayner fantastic. Absolute gun. Rich was strong in contests. Clugga good. Loved Coleman and Payne's games, they are players. Votes will be difficult!

Great stuff from Linc to keep playing through that cork and even kick a goal (perfect technique too).

Archie did some nice things but I'm not sure about the strategy in playing a backup ruck for half a game (even if he did wind up playing a bit more than that to cover rotations). Would honestly prefer say have CEY do some backup ruck but give an extra midfield rotation.

Back