Review Round 16, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

"bruises and scratches" for lachie :eek: I actually didn't see any niggle on lachie at all, whether it was me or the camera looking away.

super sad for McCarthy to prob miss out again.. I rank him so highly.
Miller was his usual dog self on Lachie, watched him a fair bit at the game.

If we play Geelong in finals I'd be a lot more confident if we had Adams in. Hawkins was too good for Andrews earlier in the year, is too big for Gardiner and Payne is too raw.
I have been saying all year, blood some of the young guys, not gift them games, but when ressie and pre season forms warrants it select them. Would like to see Hinge get a go this week in Cairns. Coleman has shown how classy he is after 2 games, and Payne whilst 'raw' has some upside and if we want him to be the future backman taking the big monster forwards then get some games into him.
Adams is not back this year, nor is the future ,so we have to back in Payne. I reckon his pace might surprise a few of the big forwards. Just have to work out a strategy so he is not isolated with Hawkins IF it happens. .

A while back there was general talk that teams that were losing on the scoreboard were more desperate and involved in more defensive acts which resulted in giving away more free kicks. We were losing everything back then. I was m'eh about that explanation at the time and now it's clearly obvious it was just a rubbish defence when teams were getting reamed.

Apparently if they got rid of the bounce there'd be a heap more umpires who could be used. I say ditch the bounce for a year, bring in new guys and see if the umpiring standard improves.,
I could care less about the bounce. I recall hearing years ago from someone in the know that some really promising junior umpires were being overlooked because their bouncing skills were below par.

As for losing the free kick count, generally a team that wins convincingly gets more frees because they were first to the ball and in front most of the day. Gold Coast seemed to get a lot of frees purely to keep them in it because they needed all of the assistance they could get. Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL instructs the umps to favour Gold Coast because again Rosebury went out of his way to favour our opposition and generally the inconsistency in interpretation for one team over the other was evident for all to see.

Just finished the replay. Really awesome four quarter effort from Brisbane. All 22 contributed. Ah Chee was awesome off the half back and Smith's ruck work was really impressive. Competed well but also did some really nice taps to advantage.

If the back end of our 22 are performing at a high standard, good luck to the opposition.
Agree, thought Ah Chee was very solid and contributed greatly to the defensive effort. Also thought Robbo supported the backline

He tried to break a tackle, 2 actually, it used to be if you got tackled taking it from the ruck automatic free wether you had prior or not. Yes you can take it from the ruck now but same rules still apply as around the field. He had prior opportunity and tried to break a tackles, free kick every day of the week even Wednesday’s.
"Even on Wednesdays".

Love it

Gold Coast seemed to get a lot of frees purely to keep them in it because they needed all of the assistance they could get. Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL instructs the umps to favour Gold Coast because again Rosebury went out of his way to favour our opposition and generally the inconsistency in interpretation for one team over the other was evident for all to see.

There's cynical and then there's conspiracy theorising.

Did anyone see the Suns player slap Answerth's face just on the siren?
Yeah, I was hoping it'd result in a reversal of Corbett's kick on goal but when there wasn't a whistle I was very much unsurprised.

Did anyone see the Suns player slap Answerth's face just on the siren?

I commented on it at the time. It was Ben King who only a couple of minutes earlier received a soft off the ball free for high contact. Of course the umps didn't pick it up when it would've been our free.

I would give witherden a crack against the swans.
I think Archie was ok.... but the criticism is also warranted especially for taking out Linc. In 2002 Browny took out Voss against the Pies in a H&A game and after the game both Voss and Matthews were livid at him. Browny even said he felt like he had shot dead Bambi.

I dont think Berry's injury is a bad one. These injuries can take up to 6 weeks to recover. But I think he will play 1st week of finals. It looked minor to me on all replays. Linc will be ok.
Starc to come back against Carlton.

Payne was great for a 2nd gamer. The baptism of fire against the Tigers in his 1st game ... he could've been scarred for life. But he showed that he had a point to show.

On Payne looking tired and having a break in the last. We generally have Harris and Dizzy playing 99-100% game time. They very rarely get time on the bench. In a game where we were limited in rotations he would have been even further limited in getting a break. No surprise a second game tall is cooked having to do that work load

He wasn't anywhere near the votes, but I actually liked a few things McStay did. There was a sequence in the first quarter where he broke up a handball chain, worked to get a tight handball receive, then floated a beautiful kick to find Zorko on the boundary line. His shot hit the post, but to get that from a key forward was great. His workrate around the ground is really good, and makes a big difference to the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't anywhere near the votes, but I actually liked a few things McStay did. There was a sequence in the first quarter where he broke up a handball chain, worked to get a tight handball receive, then floated a beautiful kick to find Zorko on the boundary line. His shot hit the post, but to get that from a key forward was great. His workrate around the ground is really good, and makes a big difference to the forward line.
No, no, no, you have it all wrong. Should be dumped as we have 3-4 players sitting rotting away in the ressies who should be playing instead. ;)

I guess Fagan and the rest of the coaches don't have a clue then because he won't be dropped.
The same Fagan and coaches who wanted to trade him out last off season and that none of the other 17 clubs were interested in, IMO Archie is on our 4th line of all fit ruck options.

Big O > Stef > Fullarton > Archie/Skinner/Eagles.

Once again if he plays a good block of games I'll admit my mistake as I did with Ryan Lester.

On Smith, check out the Witts’ stats. Posters were saying Witts was one of the top five ruckman in the league before the Match. stats don’t reflect that opinion. Lots of taps but given we won the clearances, not really a factor.. Witts did very little around the ground. Great job by Big O and Smith in tandem. Not saying Smith is the answer but credit where credit is due, I think he did the job the coaches wantEd last night. Even the hit on McCarthy was a result of aggressive follow up at ground level which is an issue that I and others have criticised him for lacking. unfortunate result in that case, but he will keep his stop for the next game.

The same Fagan and coaches who wanted to trade him out last off season and that none of the other 17 clubs were interested in, IMO Archie is on our 4th line of all fit ruck options.

Once again if he plays a good block of games I'll admit my mistake as I did with Ryan Lester.

I think it might have been Archie looking around. After getting pumped up at the start of 2019 as a potential no. 1 ruck he wanted more chances.

I'd go Stef > Big O > Archie

None of the rest are ruckmen or even close at AFL level so not worth comparing. Oscar is our only ruck/forward.

One thing I'll add and it is something I've been banging on about of late is that the healthy margin maintained throughout the game enabled Fagan to manage the team better throughout the game i.e. resting McInerney significantly more in the last quarter and letting Smith ruck most of the quarter.

That issue alone in not putting teams away early and having to grind out games for the full four quarters has been detrimental to our ability to rest / manage / rotate players and compounded why game after game we looked more lethargic and out of gas. It no doubt also goes to the core of why Fagan was so pissed that Rayner didn't use his full 30 second allotment when he ridiculously snapped around the corner and missed in the third because it doesn't give players further up the ground a breather.

Hopefully, the whole club learnt a few things last night that we can implement in the coming games, particularly the coming game agaisnst Sydney.

I’ve been a really harsh critic of Archie but I don’t quite understand how people came out of last nights game desperate to whack him. He was okayish. Weird thing to focus on, especially as we know where he sits on our depth chart.

Whacking him for the collision with Linc is ridiculously harsh too. If Oscar did that no one would have slammed him. People interpreting evidence to support their existing narrative.

One thing I'll add and it is something I've been banging on about of late is that the healthy margin maintained throughout the game enabled Fagan to manage the team better throughout the game i.e. resting McInerney significantly more in the last quarter and letting Smith ruck most of the quarter.

That issue alone in not putting teams away early and having to grind out games for the full four quarters has been detrimental to our ability to rest / manage / rotate players and compounded why game after game we looked more lethargic and out of gas. It no doubt also goes to the core of why Fagan was so pissed that Rayner didn't use his full 30 second allotment when he ridiculously snapped around the corner and missed in the third because it doesn't give players further up the ground a breather.

Hopefully, the whole club learnt a few things last night that we can implement in the coming games, particularly the coming game agaisnst Sydney.

There was some old blowhard sitting behind me last night losing his s**t because we were chipping the ball around our backline when we were 40 points up in the last.

Was clearly the right strategy with another game in 4 days and a reduced interchange.

Some people have no ability to put anything in context.

I think it might have been Archie looking around. After getting pumped up at the start of 2019 as a potential no. 1 ruck he wanted more chances.

I'd go Stef > Big O > Archie

None of the rest are ruckmen or even close at AFL level so not worth comparing. Oscar is our only ruck/forward.
I think we have:
Martin > Oscar > Smith as rucks
Oscar > everyone as a ruck/forward
Fullerton (early call) > Ballenden/Skinner > everyone as forward/rucks (although maybe we should look at McStay as an option in the future too)

Whats the best combo for our team out of that?

We also saw first hand how limited Sexton is and why he's being pushed out of the side. Not the player some posters were talking up in the trade thread recently.

Back